Friday's Rave

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: Friday's Rave

Post by TerenureJim »

Listening to the "rugby tonight" BT sports podcast and hearing the palpable disappointment that there's no PRL team involved in the EPRC final, only one "British" team in the semi, and only one PRL side in the quarters. Tried to destroy a tournament we all loved to depower irish rugby, must kill them we bounced back.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ben Youngs hails 'phenomenal' brother Tom after wife goes into remission following four-year cancer battle
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 26930.html

A rare happy ending. Delighted for all involved. You go girl!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Spending the day out in Phoenix Park talking about science and the deer herd. Yeah!

Then tomorrow a final. Yeah yeah!
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

domhnallj wrote:Spending the day out in Phoenix Park talking about science and the deer herd. Yeah!
What a day you have for it!

Enjoy.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Just cannot get over how extraordinary has been the dominance of Nadal in the French Open over such a prolonged period. In an era in which Roger Federer, claimed by many tennis critics as possibly the best ever professional player, and Novac Djokavic, another top 10 of all-time contender, have both been at their peaks, Nadal today competes for his 11th French Open title since 2005.

All hail Rafa Nadal, extraordinary tennis player, fantastic competitor and sportsman.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

The soccer team and coach making it out of that cave. Great effort all round by the recusers. Didn't expect that. :clap:
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

paddyor wrote:The soccer team and coach making it out of that cave. Great effort all round by the recusers. Didn't expect that. :clap:
Special mention to the coach, who by all accounts kept the team in good spirits, insisted any food he had be shared amongst the kids while he starved.
I know he led them in, but it is apparently a team ritual and the recorded depth they make is a measure of their bravery/manhood. They made it in deep enough, but seem to have been chased further in by the rising water.

Did not expect them to make it out. Delighted that Elon Musk managed to get some valuable air time and marketing out of it too.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Peg Leg wrote:
paddyor wrote:The soccer team and coach making it out of that cave. Great effort all round by the recusers. Didn't expect that. :clap:
Special mention to the coach, who by all accounts kept the team in good spirits, insisted any food he had be shared amongst the kids while he starved.
I know he led them in, but it is apparently a team ritual and the recorded depth they make is a measure of their bravery/manhood. They made it in deep enough, but seem to have been chased further in by the rising water.

Did not expect them to make it out. Delighted that Elon Musk managed to get some valuable air time and marketing out of it too.
Yes the mini sub made with "rocket parts" was something of a highlight!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

paddyor wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:

Yes the mini sub made with "rocket parts" was something of a highlight!
As if the cave induced claustrophobia wasn't enough, "We'd like you to get into this tube for 5 hrs"
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/j ... -officials

:lol:

I'm surprised how much I hate the guy.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

paddyor wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/j ... -officials

:lol:

I'm surprised how much I hate the guy.
Don't use the Grauniad as a source of accurate news.

Here is the email exchange between the people on the ground undertaking the rescue, and Musk. The Graun conveniently didn't include that.

Anyone But New Zealand
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Those emails entertaining Elon were sent to keep every option available open and prevent Elon from going Full Musk Jacket in the press about how they turned down "the greatest engineering minds on earth", mid rescue.
The route to the children would not have been accessible by anything rigid over 1m.

He is starting to sound like Keith Reniere recently.
Daniel Sullivan
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Peg Leg wrote:Those emails entertaining Elon were sent to keep every option available open and prevent Elon from going Full Musk Jacket in the press about how they turned down "the greatest engineering minds on earth", mid rescue.
The route to the children would not have been accessible by anything rigid over 1m.
In your opinion.

Becriers always complain that the rich don't help - but when they commit significant amounts of their times and resources to do so they complain anyway.
Anyone But New Zealand
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

FLIP wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Those emails entertaining Elon were sent to keep every option available open and prevent Elon from going Full Musk Jacket in the press about how they turned down "the greatest engineering minds on earth", mid rescue.
In your opinion.

Becriers always complain that the rich don't help - but when they commit significant amounts of their times and resources to do so they complain anyway.
Yes IMO, I am not an Elon hater, I am undecided. I have reservations. The sub would not work though, the rigidity would have prevented it from navigating the bends, peaks and troughs.
If you see below you'll find praise of Elon for what he did in Peurto Rico in shipping the batteries to the hospitals with seemingly zero publicity.
Peg Leg 07/02/18 wrote:. I do like however that he has shipped a motherload of the industrial batteries to Puerto Rico FOC to test them in disaster zones and they are supporting health and public infrastructure (without the media look at me campaign).
He is a great sales person who gets sh!t done.....

But yeah, I'm on the fence.
Daniel Sullivan
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Peg Leg wrote: Yes IMO, I am not an Elon hater, I am undecided. I have reservations. The sub would not work though, the rigidity would have prevented it from navigating the bends, peaks and troughs.
If you see below you'll find praise of Elon for what he did in Peurto Rico in shipping the batteries to the hospitals with seemingly zero publicity.
Peg Leg 07/02/18 wrote:. I do like however that he has shipped a motherload of the industrial batteries to Puerto Rico FOC to test them in disaster zones and they are supporting health and public infrastructure (without the media look at me campaign).

And you know the geology of the cave, or are you just guessing?

Even if it couldn't go all the way, it could have gotten someone from one dry area to another in safety.
Anyone But New Zealand
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

FLIP wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: Yes IMO, I am not an Elon hater, I am undecided. I have reservations. The sub would not work though, the rigidity would have prevented it from navigating the bends, peaks and troughs.

Even if it couldn't go all the way, it could have gotten someone from one dry area to another in safety.
It was mentioned on one of the news channels I clapped eyes on during the week. They had diagrams and all.
Not forgetting the subtext of
Narongsak Osatanakorn, the head of the joint command center who said "Although his technology is good and sophisticated it's not practical for this mission,"
Last edited by Peg Leg on July 11th, 2018, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

FLIP wrote:

The major benefit as I understood would be the ability to mildly sedate the passenger to prevent panic.
Either way, do I think he milked as much publicity out of his possible spaceship escape pod, yea I do.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

FLIP wrote:

Right, so I felt a bit dirty not being able to give a source or write FACT to my comment, so continued the research.
Take a look at this extremely informative piece from Reuters Graphics.
Reuters Graphics
I think the video footage at the end shows why a sub could have been considered a useful device.
Daniel Sullivan
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Peg Leg wrote: Right, so I felt a bit dirty not being able to give a source or write FACT to my comment, so continued the research.
Take a look at this extremely informative piece from Reuters Graphics.
Reuters Graphics
I think the video footage at the end shows why a sub could have been considered a useful device.
The very section that talks about the narrowness of the cave also shows divers using tools to expand the width of the cave. If required the same thing could have been done to permit the use of the device. There's also very few measurements of height, merely width. If it was needed, they could have made it work in my eyes.
Anyone But New Zealand
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

FLIP wrote:
In your opinion.

Seriously? This is shameless self promotion right down to to the “rocket parts” in the sub. You get the impression es pissed they didn’t use him.

Im a hater btw. Went right off him when he started sickin his followers on critics. Then his getting all pissy with journos who question. Remember he went full trump about fake news? The icing on the cake was that “monorail” he’s been trying to sell to Chicago with tech that doesn’t exist yet.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles