Book thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Book thread

Post by Donny B. »

On the second book of Stieg Larsson's trilogy.

Very enjoyable!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Donny B. wrote:On the second book of Stieg Larsson's trilogy.

Very enjoyable!
I wondered if/when Larsson's trilogy would be mentioned.. definitely on my "to be read" list!
Dont Panic!
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

Crime - Michael Connolly's Harry Bosch series.Our very own John Connolly's Parker series set in Maine even if the violence is unrelenting and very graphic

Crime & a laugh - Kinky Friedman and Carl Hiassen , true originals , much imitated but never equalled.

European Crime - Fred Vargas -Paris/Henning Mankell- Norway/Donna Leon- Venice/ Martin Cruz Smith-Russia, all outstanding series

Stig Larsson -the Girl with the Dragon tattoo etc, i found just Ok , badly needed an editor
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dexter wrote:

Very enjoyable!
I wondered if/when Larsson's trilogy would be mentioned.. definitely on my "to be read" list!
As a fellow serial killer I thought you'd already have read it.........oh my I've given too much away about myself haven't I? There goes season four!!!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Donny B. wrote:
Dexter wrote:

Very enjoyable!
As a fellow serial killer I thought you'd already have read it.........oh my I've given too much away about myself haven't I? There goes season four!!!
:lol:

Another one I forgot to mention: About the Author, John Colapinto - Fiction/Crime
http://www.amazon.co.uk/About-Author-Jo ... 097&sr=8-1
Dont Panic!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

RoboProp wrote:With the Old Breed - Eugene Sledge
Read that a good while ago. Pretty good stuff, some very powerful moments in it.

If you like WW2 memoires take a read of Guy Sajer's Forgotten Soldier. Terrifying stuff on the eastern front during WW2.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Just finished 'The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao '. It's fiction about an overweight Dominican-American nerdy kid who is into comic books & has zero social skills. Very funny & very sad
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

Logorrhea wrote:
RoboProp wrote:With the Old Breed - Eugene Sledge
Read that a good while ago. Pretty good stuff, some very powerful moments in it.

If you like WW2 memoires take a read of Guy Sajer's Forgotten Soldier. Terrifying stuff on the eastern front during WW2.
Some doubts have been expressed as to the authenticity but it is very good...Try "Blood Red Snow" and "Black Edelweiss" for the Eastern Front and William Manchester's "Goodbye Darkness" for the Pacific.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

combatlogo wrote: Some doubts have been expressed as to the authenticity but it is very good...

There are always authenticity issues with many of these sort of books.
However, a couple of years ago they managed to find his buddy "Hals" and he has vouched for the authenticity of much of the book.
The main problem was that many of the records of the Grossdeutschland were lost towards the end of the war.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Didnt know .......... and didnt know. Thanks for the recommendations though ..... will definately take a read.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Just read "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman. Reasonably good and enjoyable, fairly whacky but not overly so, also reasonably lighthearted, nothing too heavy. Never read any of his books before, but I will check out some more. It's sort of fantasy, set in the modern world London, if you know what I mean.

SPOILER:
The ending reminded me very,very, much of "Life on Mars".
Dont Panic!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

I enjoyed Gaiman's American Gods more than Neverwhere. Worth a look.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Anyone read John Twelve Hawks Trilogy?
You neocon dudes would hate it. I however would wholeheartedly recommend it!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dexter wrote:Just read "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman. Reasonably good and enjoyable, fairly whacky but not overly so, also reasonably lighthearted, nothing too heavy. Never read any of his books before, but I will check out some more. It's sort of fantasy, set in the modern world London, if you know what I mean.

SPOILER:
Written for a television series that was promising but ultimately disappointing.

You should try Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett. Fantastic book
I have Bumbleflex
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Dexter wrote:Just read "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman. Reasonably good and enjoyable, fairly whacky but not overly so, also reasonably lighthearted, nothing too heavy. Never read any of his books before, but I will check out some more. It's sort of fantasy, set in the modern world London, if you know what I mean.

SPOILER:
Written for a television series that was promising but ultimately disappointing.

You should try Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett. Fantastic book
That's the second time in as many days I've heard good things about Good Omens. Suppose I'll have to buy it.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

By the way, this is an excellent site for buying books, if anyone doesn't know about it:

www.bookdepository.co.uk

Cheaper than shops and free delivery.
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

I've just finished "Daemon" and "Freedom" by Daniel Suarez. Very entertaining novels, based on using artificial intelligence developed for video games to carry out murders after the death of the programmer. I was really enjoying Daemon until it suddenly ended with no pay-off, that was when I realised that it was part 1 of a two part story so I went straight to Amazon and bought Freedom. Nowhere on the cover of the books does it say that they are two parts of the same story so beware.

Danthefan wrote:By the way, this is an excellent site for buying books, if anyone doesn't know about it:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

I think it's more worthwhile to build up £25 worth of purchases and buy on Amazon. Book depository claim free delivery, but if you access the site with a UK IP address you will notice that everything is up to £2 cheaper. Play.com do the same. They just include delivery in the purchase price. Amazon is usually cheaper, except that you do have to pay for delivery unless the order is £25 or more.
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

brian_c wrote:
Danthefan wrote:By the way, this is an excellent site for buying books, if anyone doesn't know about it:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

I think it's more worthwhile to build up £25 worth of purchases and buy on Amazon. Book depository claim free delivery, but if you access the site with a UK IP address you will notice that everything is up to £2 cheaper. Play.com do the same. They just include delivery in the purchase price. Amazon is usually cheaper, except that you do have to pay for delivery unless the order is £25 or more.
Amazon build delivery into the price too. And then they charge you delivery on top of that or dupe you into buying something extra to make it up to £25. If I'm buying online I check both. Most stuff Book Depository is only a few cent cheaper, but it is cheaper. If Amazon is cheaper I'll save it in my basket for later to make up the £25 at a later date with the next one that works out cheaper.

abebooks.com is really good for out of print books. Again be careful with the postage - a lot of second hand shops charge 1cent for the book and seven quid for p&p... You can shop around for postage too.
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

You really need to check a lot of different sites, I order from Book Depository or Play if I am only buying one book but in my experience Amazon is the cheapest. Amazon's warehouse is in Dublin too so delivery is quicker. The amount of books I am going through at the moment I have no problems in building up £25 of an order.

Also not to forget that Dublin has a good public library network. I live near Raheny library and get through 3 books a month from there in addition to a few from Amazon.
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Broken Wing wrote:I enjoyed Gaiman's American Gods more than Neverwhere. Worth a look.
Thanks for the recommendation, I was actually thinking of getting it. Will now.
Dont Panic!