Book thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

honeyec
Mullet

Re: Book thread

Post by honeyec »

honeyec wrote: However, the end of the academic year is (somewhat) nigh, so I've ordered myself a little light reading to look forward to. Given the slowness of the Book Depository's delivery, they might just have arrived by the time my exams are done in mid May.
Exams aren't til Friday and I've read all of these. It was optimism bordering on foolishness to think I'd be able to look at these on my bedside table for weeks and not ravage them.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

honeyec wrote:
honeyec wrote: However, the end of the academic year is (somewhat) nigh, so I've ordered myself a little light reading to look forward to. Given the slowness of the Book Depository's delivery, they might just have arrived by the time my exams are done in mid May.
Exams aren't til Friday and I've read all of these. It was optimism bordering on foolishness to think I'd be able to look at these on my bedside table for weeks and not ravage them.
What did you order and what was worth it in the end?
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

TerenureJim wrote:Exams aren't til Friday and I've read all of these. It was optimism bordering on foolishness to think I'd be able to look at these on my bedside table for weeks and not ravage them.
What did you order and what was worth it in the end?[/quote]

Max Brooks - The Zombie Survival Guide

Stephen King - The Bachman Books

Various -Wastelands: Tales of the Apocalypse

And they were all worth it. Zombie Survival Guide wasn't as enjoyable as World War Z, mind. And if I were Stephen King, I'd be giving Suzanne Collins serious side-eye for essentially amalgamating two of the Bachman novels into The Hunger Games.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

If you liked World War Z I'd recommend picking up Robopocalypse, similar set up/style just replace Zeek with Rob. Very enjoyable.
jggy2003
Beginner

Post by jggy2003 »

I would recommend Born to Run by Chris McDougal fascinating documentary about running and much, much more.
Engage by Paul Kimmage
Seven Deadly Sins David Walsh
Anything by David Mitchell (Cloud Atlas etc.)
The new Philip Meyer novel (the Son) is meant to be excellent also!!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Has anyone read The Real McCaw: The Autobiography, just wondering if it's worth picking up. I do enjoy a decent autobiog but in saying that as much as McCaw is a bit of a walking legend in the game he doesn't come across as much of a character.
Sionnach
Bookworm

Post by Sionnach »

TerenureJim wrote:Has anyone read The Real McCaw: The Autobiography, just wondering if it's worth picking up. I do enjoy a decent autobiog but in saying that as much as McCaw is a bit of a walking legend in the game he doesn't come across as much of a character.
Yeah, it's a decent read. Nothing special, since he's still playing he's not going to spill too many beans or upset too many people. Most interesting is his commentary about how the NZ team have taught themselves not to panic in difficult situations with minutes left to go. Absolutely shows how they were able to beat us in the dying moments. He talks about it a good bit, and is interesting to read.

He waffles on a lot about his glider plane though, which gets dull. It's a good book to borrow, if you know what I mean.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

if you don't mind a bit of rugby league Andrew Johns the two of me is a cracking read, the guy has overcome a lot to reach the top of his sport
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Well don't bother with Valerie Martin's The Ghost of the Mary Celeste. Stultifyingly boring chick-lit disguised as a mystery novel, with Arthur Conan Doyle making several appearances for no absolutely no reason that I can discern.

Next up, Stephen King with Mr. Mercedes.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

So will be putting this on the booklist...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Test-My-Autobio ... obiography
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Has anyone read The Martian?

and/or The Republic of Thieves?
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

So Christmas around the corner what are people putting on the reading wish lists....
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

TerenureJim wrote:Has anyone read The Martian?

and/or The Republic of Thieves?
The Martian - read it (e-book) a few months ago and it is absolutely fab. Have heard the audio book works very well and I would recommend it to anyone - while nominally a science fiction book it is really isn't. A great story and based on real life while set in the near future. Bought it for Christmas - have to work out for who :D

A film of it being made next year - unless they screw it up it should be a contender for best picture - for the storyline alone
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable

Post by The Anathemata »

Just started rereading Humbolt's Gift.

Up there with Seize the Day, Herzog and Mr Samler's Planet, as the best thing he wrote.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

The Doc wrote:The Martian - read it (e-book) a few months ago and it is absolutely fab. Have heard the audio book works very well and I would recommend it to anyone - while nominally a science fiction book it is really isn't. A great story and based on real life while set in the near future. Bought it for Christmas - have to work out for who :D
Thanks for that. Just started it on your recommendation and I'm loving it so far.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Logorrhea wrote:
The Doc wrote:The Martian - read it (e-book) a few months ago and it is absolutely fab. Have heard the audio book works very well and I would recommend it to anyone - while nominally a science fiction book it is really isn't. A great story and based on real life while set in the near future. Bought it for Christmas - have to work out for who :D
Thanks for that. Just started it on your recommendation and I'm loving it so far.
I illegally downloaded the audio book :) It was getting a bit technical until chapter 5 or so but will defo stay with it.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

johng wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:
I illegally downloaded the audio book :) It was getting a bit technical until chapter 5 or so but will defo stay with it.
Interesting background - the guy who wrote the book hadn't a publishing deal and had published the story for free - chapter by chapter. He was then approached to publish after it had gone viral. Heard him interviewed and I think he kind of credits the free downloaded versions for the popularity - so I'm sure you are fine :-)

It has technical bits - but more about problems and solutions - and everything in it is real - it's not made up "science". But do stick with it. I think the humour is quite wry as well

Interested to hear how both of you found it - as I said I have a copy and might decide on who to give it to depending on how you found it.

Matt Damon is playing the lead in the film btw
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Eh ................... audible.com. You get a free audio book when you sign up (no obligation).

Would recommend anyone use their free book on the Martian .......... or World War Z which is brilliant in Audio book format.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

This is going to be soooooooooooooo good

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-12- ... good-omens
I have Bumbleflex
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Dave Cahill wrote:This is going to be soooooooooooooo good

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-12- ... good-omens
+1 read it about 25 years ago and it was brilliant.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation