Book thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

FatBoyChoice
Graduate

Re: Book thread

Post by FatBoyChoice »

Just finished The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell and I'd highly recommend it.
The structure of this book is a bit more orthodox than some of his previous novels but is no less original or enthralling. It really sucks you in from the first page and it's the book of the year so far for me. Imo it will be a Booker prize nominee next year!
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

Seeing as this is the book thread its probably the best place for this... For all book lovers.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/ Its...well you ...eh feck tough to explain! Basically you write a unique ID inside a book, then you leave said book on a plane, train, bench or in a cafe with the aforementioned web address on it, then whom ever finds it goes to the address, types in the ID and can then see where the book has been etc. Log where you found it, log where you left it and go hunting for me. Great site, free service works on donations alone! Give it a look.
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Just read Philip Roth's The Dying Animal. It was excellent.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Skinfull wrote:Seeing as this is the book thread its probably the best place for this... For all book lovers.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/ Its...well you ...eh feck tough to explain! Basically you write a unique ID inside a book, then you leave said book on a plane, train, bench or in a cafe with the aforementioned web address on it, then whom ever finds it goes to the address, types in the ID and can then see where the book has been etc. Log where you found it, log where you left it and go hunting for me. Great site, free service works on donations alone! Give it a look.
Irish people are cr@p at Book Crossing. I've left maybe 30 books out there and only 1 person ever bothered logging the find, and that was before he'd even read it. I don't bother any more.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

"Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer is very good. "Middlesex" by Jeffery Eugenides is the best book about a hermaphrodite you will ever read!!! "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy is harrowing reading but excellent. "Let the Great World Spin" by Colum McCann is a really good read - maybe the best book about New York you could find. "The Secret Scripture" by Sebastian Barry is an interesting read too. None of them your summer blockbuster but all very rewarding reads.

Ronk, I had a go at the "Gulag Archipelago" recently and got to about page 40.
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

honeyec wrote:
Skinfull wrote:Seeing as this is the book thread its probably the best place for this... For all book lovers.
Irish people are cr@p at Book Crossing. I've left maybe 30 books out there and only 1 person ever bothered logging the find, and that was before he'd even read it. I don't bother any more.
I've found the same thing. Left loads out there all over the place in ireland, canada and alaska though and only a handful have ever been logged. But still I love the idea, even if the person doesnt log it, its a good book and a nice way to pass it on.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Skinfull wrote:
honeyec wrote:
I've found the same thing. Left loads out there all over the place in ireland, canada and alaska though and only a handful have ever been logged. But still I love the idea, even if the person doesnt log it, its a good book and a nice way to pass it on.
True. It's at this juncture that I should point out that I'm just selfish and can't bear to part with my books. I only ever crossed really apalling ones that I knew I'd never read again anyway, which probably defeats the purpose somewhat, when you think about it.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

honeyec wrote:
Skinfull wrote: I've found the same thing. Left loads out there all over the place in ireland, canada and alaska though and only a handful have ever been logged. But still I love the idea, even if the person doesnt log it, its a good book and a nice way to pass it on.
True. It's at this juncture that I should point out that I'm just selfish and can't bear to part with my books. I only ever crossed really apalling ones that I knew I'd never read again anyway, which probably defeats the purpose somewhat, when you think about it.
LOL no wonder that no one logged them eh! :D There are only a few books I'll read again and again so if my friends don't want them I love to book cross them.

Currently reading Enders Game (again) by Orson Scott Card :clap:
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Started Good Omens today. I've only read a handful of Discworld books and American Gods but Good Omens seems a lot more Pratchet than Gaiman.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Skinfull wrote:Basically you write a unique ID inside a book, then you leave said book on a plane, train, bench or in a cafe with the aforementioned web address on it, then whom ever finds it goes to the address, types in the ID and can then see where the book has been etc. Log where you found it, log where you left it and go hunting for me.
I wouldn't bother my swiss with that, I'd just read it and leave it down for someone else to read.
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

I just finished reading, Skippy Dies, by Paul Murray. It's set in a fictional Irish Boys boarding school not unlike, oh I dunno, say Blackrock? I thought it was a fantastic read which managed to be sad, thought provoking and hilarious all at the same time. The only other author to make me laugh out loud several times while reading his books is Carl Hiassen. I'll definitely read other works by this guy, Murray.
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

Can I recommend the book "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre. This book exposes how the lack of knowledge of science in today's media is leading to dangerous opinions getting aired, such as Dr. Wakefield and the mmr vaccine hoax. It also shows how "new age" treatments such as homeopathy and self-proclaimed experts like Gillian McKeith are actually the first world equivalent of the Nigerian prince scam.

Only costs €4 here
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/97 ... ad-Science
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

brian_c wrote:Can I recommend the book "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre. This book exposes how the lack of knowledge of science in today's media is leading to dangerous opinions getting aired, such as Dr. Wakefield and the mmr vaccine hoax. It also shows how "new age" treatments such as homeopathy and self-proclaimed experts like Gillian McKeith are actually the first world equivalent of the Nigerian prince scam.

Only costs €4 here
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/97 ... ad-Science
great book. His blog is @ www.badscience.net and well worth a peruse, he also has a regular article in the guardian for those that dont know him

I recently finished a fantastic book called "The Age of Wonder - How the Romantic Age Discovered the Beauty and Terror of Science" by Richard Holmes.

Also older books that are fantastic reads - The Aubrey/Maturin Series by Patrick O'Brien, McAuslan by George Macdonald Fraser and "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexander Dumas.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

tate wrote: Also older books that are fantastic reads - The Aubrey/Maturin Series by Patrick O'Brien, McAuslan by George Macdonald Fraser and "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexander Dumas.
Recently re-read 'The Count ...' - what a fantastic read!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

"Thw Wisdom of Crowds"

Don't bother - somebody should explain to the author that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data" and also explain the difference between correlation and causation.

It's supposition, wishful thinking, anecdote and hearsey wrapped us as a theory
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

“Bloomsday? Is that a day that’s something to do with gays?” - John Willoughby, interviewed on North Talbot St.

For the day that's in it
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Skinfull wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Little-Brother-Co ... =8-1-spell
Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. Brilliant read. Read it in 2 sittings. Loved it.
Just read the first chapter this morning and I like it already!

Also just finished another Michael Connolly, non-Bosch, one called "Void Moon" and really enjoyed. His non-Bosch ones are nearly better IMO.
Dont Panic!
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

hugonaut wrote:
tate wrote: Also older books that are fantastic reads - The Aubrey/Maturin Series by Patrick O'Brien, McAuslan by George Macdonald Fraser and "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexander Dumas.
Recently re-read 'The Count ...' - what a fantastic read!
Also read it a while back, thought it went a little flat at stages but overall was brilliant. Not sure I'll be re-reading it any time soon though!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Just finished 'Nature Girl' by Carl Hiassen. I'm a big Hiassen fan but this was his weakest effort yet. Some laughs but the central premise was very flimsy and just dragged on and on.

Have started 'Gomorrah' by Robert Saviano.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Finished Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer, an account of the infamous 1996 Everest disaster by one of the climbers that was on the mountain that day. A decent read. The sheer tragedy of the story makes the final 100 pages fairly compelling reading. Gives an insight into how mad these guys are and how far beyond normal physical limits some of them can push their bodies. Also shows that sometimes it doesn't matter how strong or capable you are; your number might just be up and that's that.