Book thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Book thread

Post by Dexter »

I know there is already a Movie thread and Box Set thread but I haven't seen a Book version, so apologies if there is one already. I read on the train commute to work, so end up reading a LOT of books, and am always looking for recommendations. To start off, here are some random books that stick in my memory:

Crime - all the Harry Bosch books by Michael Connelly (although I haven't read all, yet!), 1st one is The Black Echo (I think)
Historical fiction - the Arthur trilogy by Bernard Cornwell, 1st one is The Winter King
Fiction - Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Fiction/Sci-Fi - K Pax, Gene Brewer
Dont Panic!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Book thread

Post by ronk »

The Gulag Archipelago: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Real all three volumes recently. Difficult going at times, it's powerful. Highly recommend it, especially the last book. Rolled straight from that into Rudolf Hoess's autobiography. From the finest, most insightful literature I've read to the most insipid.

Started The Brothers Karamasov, this week and tried to find a copy that's around somewhere in the house of The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East, by Robert Fisk. Been meaning to read that.

Also recommend Moneyball, by Michael Lewis. It's about baseball but hugely interesting insight about sport.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

[quote="ronk"]The Gulag Archipelago: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Real all three volumes recently. Difficult going at times, it's powerful. Highly recommend it, especially the last book. Rolled straight from that into Rudolf Hoess's autobiography. From the finest, most insightful literature I've read to the most insipid.

Started The Brothers Karamasov, this week and tried to find a copy that's around somewhere in the house of The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East, by Robert Fisk. Been meaning to read that.

Also recommend Moneyball, by Michael Lewis. It's about baseball but hugely interesting insight about sport.[/quote

Robert Fisk eh, only any good if you run out of toilet paper.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ronk wrote:The Gulag Archipelago: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Also recommend Moneyball, by Michael Lewis. It's about baseball but hugely interesting insight about sport.
No Ronk. He meant books you actually read, not ones you want us to think you've read :lol:

Tell that guy to lay off Robert Fisk btw, What is he a Neo con?
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Brother-Co ... =8-1-spell
Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. Brilliant read. Read it in 2 sittings. Loved it.
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Skinfull wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Little-Brother-Co ... =8-1-spell
Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. Brilliant read. Read it in 2 sittings. Loved it.
now that DOES look good.. thanks!
Dont Panic!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

I'm not usually a Sci Fi reader but I picked The Reality Dysfunction up in Chapters recently for about €3.99 and flew through it. If it wasn't for the pile of books sitting at home in my "to read" pile I'd have picked up the sequel by now.

Also worth a look are Imperium and Lustrum by Robert Harris. They're the 1st two books in a Cicero trilogy.
Last edited by Broken Wing on May 7th, 2010, 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

johng wrote:

No Ronk. He meant books you actually read, not ones you want us to think you've read :lol:

No, I'm one of that rare breed in Ireland who doesnt think the following equation is entirely true:

Israel/US = Bad + Palestinians = Good.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

the spoofer wrote:
johng wrote:

No, I'm one of that rare breed in Ireland who doesnt think the following equation is entirely true:

Israel/US = Bad + Palestinians = Good.
And he does?
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Books to "views on the middle east conflict" in less than 10 posts?
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
bluedabadi
Knowledgeable

Post by bluedabadi »

Broken Wing wrote:Books to "views on the middle east conflict" in less than 10 posts?
:lol:

and on topic.. any books by Robin Hobb
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Broken Wing wrote:I'm not usually a Sci Fi reader but I picked The Reality Dysfunction up in Chapters recently for about €3.99 and flew through it. If it wasn't for the pile of books sitting at home in my "to read" pile I'd have picked up the sequel by now.
I am a sci fi reader and I just ordered the trilogy on your recommendation.
If it's cr@p, I'm coming back here to add 50 posts on the middle east!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Nahh I can second that recommendation for Peter Hamilton. The Nights Dawn trilogy is massive (about 3500 pages for the three books I think) but its some of the best Sci-fi Ive ever read. Also recommend his Commonwealth Saga as a follow up.

Two more Sci-fi books worth a mention are The Mote in gods eye (Niven and Pournelle) and Enders game (Orson Scott Card). Both are must reads for any Sci-fi fan. Edit: Should really have thrown Old Mans War, Starship Troopers and the Forever War to that list.
Last edited by Logorrhea on May 10th, 2010, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Logorrhea wrote:Nahh I can second that recommendation for Peter Hamilton. The Nights Dawn trilogy is massive (about 3500 pages for the three books I think) but its some of the best Sci-fi Ive ever read. Also recommend his Commonwealth Saga as a follow up.

Two more Sci-fi books worth a mention are The mote in gods eye (Niven and Pournelle) and Enders game (Orson Scott Card). Both are must reads for any Sci-fi fan.
Nice one Loggo. It's been years since I read any Sci Fi. Will report back in a few weeks.

Edit: Btw, I love the way you start a positive comment with a big negative Nahh! :lol:
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

If you want some historical fiction you could try James Ellroy's Underworld USA Trilogy: American Tabloid, The Cold Six Thousand & Blood's a Rover. They are an entertaining look at the major events of 60's from the from the viewpoint of the American Underbelly. I'm half way through the last one Blood's a Rover and overall I'd say the first one American Tabloid is the best, but they are all good.
#ScrapTheLions
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Fisks book is fanatastic on the history of the middle east since 1838, although just over a third would be from 1980 onwards.

Spoofer,
regardless of any opinions held- it does make for compelling reading (if even just to read about any one conflict in the middle east- Particularly Algeria/France or Armenia/Turkey) and anyone capable of making a decision for themselves will get something different from the next!

Fiction: It simply has to be Nelson De Mille- See "The Gold Coast" or "The Lions Game" for the ultimate in character driven drama/thriller.

Presently Reading:
Getting married soon so my priest gave me the Catechism of the catholic church to read, Its not very good :?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote: Presently Reading:
Getting married soon so my priest gave me the Catechism of the catholic church to read, Its not very good :?
Bring up the middle east AND the catholic church in the one post, ON THE BOOK THREAD. :shock:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

the spoofer wrote:

Robert Fisk eh, only any good if you run out of toilet paper.
I've a friend who won't shut up about it until I read it. I'll make my own mind up on the merits, that I could read Hoess's attempts to deny his crimes should give that away.

I also recommend Higher Performance Sailing by Frank Bethwaite to anyone who already knows what I'm talking about.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

All I ever get to read these days is "Barry the fish with fingers" or in the night garden collection.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Currently reading:

With the Old Breed - Eugene Sledge

The Lion Man - Ian McGeechan

Recommend:

Bravo Two Zero: Andy McNab

Not a Good Day to Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda - Sean Naylor

It's Not About The Bike - Lance Armstrong