Tag Rugby

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Tag Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

Anybody playing this year? Very disappointed that they've droped Belvo from their list of venues.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Re: Tag Rugby

Post by limecat »

Duff Paddy wrote:Anybody playing this year? Very disappointed that they've droped Belvo from their list of venues.
Avenger was talking about trying to set up a supporters team http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=114
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Tag Rugby

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:Anybody playing this year? Very disappointed that they've droped Belvo from their list of venues.
I am - we played in Stradbrook last year which was great. Think we're in andrews this year, which is fine location wise, but there's no bor...... :cry:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Yeah it struck me as very odd that there's venues without a bar this year. Andrews is handy for the DART though. Suppose people will head across the road to Gleesons?

I think Andrews social Grade B is already sold out.
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

Going to be doing the ole tag for the first time this summer... rather looking forward to it I must say!

:D
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:Yeah it struck me as very odd that there's venues without a bar this year. Andrews is handy for the DART though. Suppose people will head across the road to Gleesons?

Glessons or the punchbowl. Problem with Gleesons is that you'll end up talking to 579 Ross O'Carroll-Kelly's dads....
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

T.C.B. wrote:Going to be doing the ole tag for the first time this summer... rather looking forward to it I must say!

It's more serious than you think!

I reffed last year aswell as playing and I had to deal with an awful lot of idiots who got carried away during games and had to be sent off. Guys who clearly never played real rugby because backchat to the ref is just not acceptable. I blame the soccer influence! I'm not sure if I'll ref again this year because it's no fun dealing with idiots when it's supposed to be a social, mixed league where people are having the craic. They really need to toughen up on letting seasoned serious teams dropping down the leagues in order to win more games. It ruins it for everyone.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Yeah it struck me as very odd that there's venues without a bar this year. Andrews is handy for the DART though. Suppose people will head across the road to Gleesons?

Glessons or the punchbowl. Problem with Gleesons is that you'll end up talking to 579 Ross O'Carroll-Kelly's dads....
Yeah it is like a bloody retirement home there sometimes.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:
T.C.B. wrote:Going to be doing the ole tag for the first time this summer... rather looking forward to it I must say!

I reffed last year aswell as playing and I had to deal with an awful lot of idiots who got carried away during games and had to be sent off. Guys who clearly never played real rugby because backchat to the ref is just not acceptable. I blame the soccer influence! I'm not sure if I'll ref again this year because it's no fun dealing with idiots when it's supposed to be a social, mixed league where people are having the craic. They really need to toughen up on letting seasoned serious teams dropping down the leagues in order to win more games. It ruins it for everyone.
There is too much back chat from the refs alright. At the same time, some of the refs are unbelievably bad. Some don't even know the basic rules.... that can be a bit annoying.....

As for the standard, being hammered or hammering someone is no fun for either team, so its just stupid. Imagine dropping down to social B or C to win more games, let's just keep this in perspective - at that kind of level, its hardly the RWC is it? Its just a bit of craic. :?
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Exactly.
It's all about the craic.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

There is too much back chat from the refs alright. At the same time, some of the refs are unbelievably bad. Some don't even know the basic rules.... that can be a bit annoying.....

As for the standard, being hammered or hammering someone is no fun for either team, so its just stupid. Imagine dropping down to social B or C to win more games, let's just keep this in perspective - at that kind of level, its hardly the RWC is it? Its just a bit of craic. :?
Flash, it is the ITRA's fault that the reffing is below par. You are thrown into the deep end, i.e. reffing on your own, after the bare minimum amount of training - I sat through a 30minute presentation, got a small booklet of the main rules and then played a tag match for an hour or so in Lansdowne Rd backpitch, which each of us reffed for approximately 5 minutes. Then I was told to show up at to ref my first game around a month later. What did they expect?

I'd played a season of tag before that, and even though I'm from a rugby background, I still didn't appreciate how hard it was to ref a game. It's unbelievably hard. I'd say it took me 3 or 4 games to be competent and to realise that you can't be friendly and to have the required demeanour. It's a steep learning curve and really really unfair to blame the refs - but I take your point that it ruins the game when you have a muppet ref.
Last edited by Duff Paddy on February 28th, 2006, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

any teams from here going to be heading to the beach tag in galway or the pig n porter in Limerick this year?
I am the one who knocks!
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Avenger wrote:Exactly.
It's all about the craic.
Yeah avenger you'd think so! I usually had to sin bin at least one player per game. I also had to red card a guy for a punch and numerous yellow cards where lads completely focked a girl out of it. Some guys just can't control themselves in a match.
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote: It's more serious than you think!

Flash, it is the ITRA's fault that the reffing is below par. You are thrown into the deep end, i.e. reffing on your own, after the bare minimum amount of training - I sat through a 30minute presentation, got a small booklet of the main rules and then played a tag match for an hour or so in Lansdowne Rd backpitch, which each of us reffed for approximately 5 minutes. Then I was told to show up at to ref my first game around a month later. What did they expect?

I'd played a season of tag before that, and even though I'm from a rugby background, I still didn't appreciate how hard it was to ref a game. It's unbelievably hard. I'd say it took me 3 or 4 games to be competent and to realise that you can't be friendly and to have the required demeanour. It's a steep learning curve and really really unfair to blame the refs - but I take your point that it ruins the game when you have a muppet ref.
two years ago i wasn't even trained as a ref, had just finished playing a match and they asked me to ref one because i knew the rules, they didn't even have a feckin whistle for me :oops:
I am the one who knocks!
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Ruck - You'd have to wonder how they can have insurance without proper refs. I play metro J league rugby and the ref is resposible for ensuring the safety of the players - I mean we can't play without a proper ref because we wouldn't be insured.
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

that season of 2004 was diabolically run in limerick. Last year was a MASSIVE improvement. There was no shortage of refs, and the standard was pretty decent for a change.

my team also won the "spirit of tag" award :lol: :oops:
in other words, we were shite, but we kept on tryin
I am the one who knocks!
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Did they have a top gun award in Limerick? They didn't hold one last year in Belvo, I was very disappointed as I got a good few tries and could have been a contender!
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

nope, no awards like that in Limerick either.
All they had were the trophies and one Tag Spirit award.
in fairness with our flashy ladyboyesque jerseys we should have won best dressed too :lol:
I am the one who knocks!
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I'd love to take to the pitch in the Stade Francais pink jerseys
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

we got our jerseys designed last year by OB sport.
Nice jerseys, until several people pointed out the colour scheme was too similar to leinster :oops:
I am the one who knocks!