Dummies guide to weight training

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Dummies guide to weight training

Post by Peg Leg »

leinster80 wrote:Was doing the Chest (lat pulldown) Biceps (curls) and Triceps(pull down rope) today. Can feel I have worked out the triceps all right but not the biceps. If anything the bicep curls I was doing felt like they were working my triceps more. Obviously doing something wrong, was seated on bench and lifted the weights through 95 degrees for 3 sets of 10 reps, taking one arm at a time.
Same sh!t happened with me when i first started (doesn't affect me since i stopped). but i always found I had to bi-cep curl holding the weights bar perpendicular to my shoulders and then do a few reps with the bars in a straight line with my shoulders. I am by no way an expert but it seemed to work two very different parts of the same muscle!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

RoboProp wrote:
tate wrote:
johng wrote:Question one on this thread was. "Do you want to build muscle or just tone up" The guy said "Just tone up"
Then we had a few pages of "how to get as big as a house" :lol:
no-one suggested juicing so his mammy will still recognize him when he goes home for christmas!!
Even with gas there is only so big your genetics will let you become....its HGH you'd want for that! :D

I wouldn't recommend going that route for anyone. So much of it is down to the genes. Effectively, I'm not gonna be able to run the 100m in 10 seconds the same I'm sure Usain Bolt couldn't overhead press 145kg...maybe he can, he's a genetic freak of nature. Ok, gonna stop before accusations of eugenicist start! :lol:
Lomu could do both.
Although I guess he used up all his genes in 'being awesome' and had none left over for 'working kidneys'
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Few pointers from the Kiwis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKBMBTU57A0
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Any of you lads able to recommend some form of supplement to help out an old man getting back to some exercise? Two things I'm looking for help with...

The exercise is swimming by the way, not weights, but when you are pulling my body through a pool for an hour, it's like the same thing!

1) muscle fatigue after sessions, looking to get this sorted before the next swim. Stamina is not a problem, but I'd like to feel not so wrecked when climbing in the next day.

2) I'm flecking starving afterwards. I know this could be solved by eating, but that defeats the purpose of trying to lose weight! Is there stuff to look after this?

There is so much stuff out there it is confusing! I presume I should stay away from carb heavy stuff and protein base is better, but I'm not sure even about that.
Get in the f%~king bag.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Slipper1 wrote:Any of you lads able to recommend some form of supplement to help out an old man getting back to some exercise? Two things I'm looking for help with...

The exercise is swimming by the way, not weights, but when you are pulling my body through a pool for an hour, it's like the same thing!

1) muscle fatigue after sessions, looking to get this sorted before the next swim. Stamina is not a problem, but I'd like to feel not so wrecked when climbing in the next day.

2) I'm flecking starving afterwards. I know this could be solved by eating, but that defeats the purpose of trying to lose weight! Is there stuff to look after this?

There is so much stuff out there it is confusing! I presume I should stay away from carb heavy stuff and protein base is better, but I'm not sure even about that.
1) more protein after a session to help the muscles recover faster and will free up the rest of your food to help you get on with the rest of your life. 100% whey protein or milk or both together.

2) definitely keep away from carb heavy foods (and supplements) if you're looking to lose weight. I have a litre of whole milk after i go to the gym and it keeps me going til i can eat properly. Maybe more veg in your dinners and a little less starchy foods as well.

Others with more experience in the losing weight category scheme of things may offer more specifics, ive only ever dealt with gaining weight!!
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Like fats not all carbs are bad, the glycogen index comes into play. Easy to remember with carbs - If its white, it ain't right. If its brown, chow it down. Brown bead though ain't great, go with granary or wholegrain.

Here is the reasoning: Excess intake of carbohydrates results in fat storage. Simple carbohydrates, such as sugar and white flour, rapidly spike insulin levels, thereby accelerating the conversion of carbohydrates to fat. By restricting carbohydrate intake altogether, the body is forced to rely on its fat stores for energy and hence the weight loss process begins. I would not recommend cutting out all carbs, because as soon as you go back on them you gain again.

After your swim have a banana and a protein shake, there are some tasty ones out there. I'd go with one that combines whey, casein and albumen proteins. I like bsn syntha 6. They've a variety of flavours and all I've tried taste great. You can get it cheaper online.

Recommend
http://www.nutritionconnection.ie/

Maybe try and work some lightweights in. More muscle you have the faster your metabolism. What most folks don't realise is that muscle can in its own way help weight loss.

Oh yeah and stay away from soft drinks!
leinster80
Enlightened

Post by leinster80 »

tate wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:Any of you lads able to recommend some form of supplement to help out an old man getting back to some exercise? Two things I'm looking for help with...

1) more protein after a session to help the muscles recover faster and will free up the rest of your food to help you get on with the rest of your life. 100% whey protein or milk or both together.

2) definitely keep away from carb heavy foods (and supplements) if you're looking to lose weight. I have a litre of whole milk after i go to the gym and it keeps me going til i can eat properly. Maybe more veg in your dinners and a little less starchy foods as well.

Others with more experience in the losing weight category scheme of things may offer more specifics, ive only ever dealt with gaining weight!!
Offloaded 35lbs in the last 10 weeks. I think eating my dinner at lunch time helped a lot and where I work lunch is taken around 11:30 so basically fill up for the rest of the day. Weetabix for breakfast and some crackers/cheese/beans for evening meal. Going to the gym has obviously helped to.
Shake your di*ks, this pissing contest is over!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

leinster80 wrote:
tate wrote:

Offloaded 35lbs in the last 10 weeks. I think eating my dinner at lunch time helped a lot and where I work lunch is taken around 11:30 so basically fill up for the rest of the day. Weetabix for breakfast and some crackers/cheese/beans for evening meal. Going to the gym has obviously helped to.
Wow, that's some serious weight loss. Well Done!
Get in the f%~king bag.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Slipper1 wrote:
leinster80 wrote:
tate wrote:

Wow, that's some serious weight loss. Well Done!
Yeah! well done indeed.

To be honest, age is a huge factor too. In their 20s, most people can eat like a b$&%@#d, train hard and keep the weight reasonable.

Some people can even eat like a b$&%@#d, and do feck all into their 30s and still look good.

In their 40s however most people can eat reasonably, train hard and still get a bit lardy.

It's a proper cnut.

You can overcome it. But you need to get your head right first.

You also need to eat smart. There are things you can eat all day (mainly veg) and they will not put an ounce on you. You need to find a few of these things that you dislike least.

There are other things which you think are "being good" with, but they are deceiving. Caesar salad is a good one. If it is "swimming" in the sauce. then you may be killing the thing with fats and calories.

How something is cooked is important too. the more grilled and the less fried the better.

It's all common sense really.

Anyone who is losing weight should stay clear of protein powder. It is for "hard gainers" (ie skinny people) or people who want to build shedloads of muscle and are super active (eg. Props).
Rockthecasbah
Beginner

Post by Rockthecasbah »

johng wrote: Anyone who is losing weight should stay clear of protein powder. It is for "hard gainers" (ie skinny people) or people who want to build shedloads of muscle and are super active (eg. Props).
Can't agree with the above - sorry John! Good quality protein powders should be v low in fat, low in carbs and v high in protein if anyone is trying to loose weight, the easiest way to feel full for longer is to eat that type of food. Tis why the Atkens diet partially worked - nothing to do with the fat and protein combination - just the increased protein intake.

Check the nutritional analysis of the protein powder - if it's low in fat and carbs and has shed loads of protein - it's an excellent meal/snack replacement for those trying to loose weight.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Had to really dig to find this thread!
Arm specific enquiry:
I work out at home about 3 times a week, just to get the lead out & I enjoy it. However whilst I see results in peak and length of both tri and biceps... my arms have never gotten any wider. I would have thought hammer curls would help achieve this?

Just to show the muscle I'm talkin about (achieving this size is not the goal)-
Show Spoiler:
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote:Had to really dig to find this thread!
Arm specific enquiry:
I work out at home about 3 times a week, just to get the lead out & I enjoy it. However whilst I see results in peak and length of both tri and biceps... my arms have never gotten any wider. I would have thought hammer curls would help achieve this?

Show Spoiler:
And I never even knew you were gay. :o
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Had to really dig to find this thread!
Arm specific enquiry:

Show Spoiler:
And I never even knew you were gay. :o
Whereas, I knew 100% that you would be the 1st to respond!
Thank JG
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Just having a quick peak at lunchtime. When I came across your .......post.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The arms are like any other muscles in the body. They are governed by firstly genetics. Secondly by lifting progressively heavier weights in the most basic movements. Free weights are better than machines for building size and barbells are better than dumbells. The heavier you go without "cheating" the better.

I always laugh at people who are worried about getting too big. Unless you have incredible genetics, or take steroids. You can break your boll1x for 20 years without getting that big.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:The arms are like any other muscles in the body. They are governed by firstly genetics. Secondly by lifting progressively heavier weights in the most basic movements. Free weights are better than machines for building size and barbells are better than dumbells. The heavier you go without "cheating" the better.

I always laugh at people who are worried about getting too big. Unless you have incredible genetics, or take steroids. You can break your boll1x for 20 years without getting that big.
But this particular muscle just doesn't bloody well exist on my arms!
I work out to stay in shape and possibly more so to assist my metabolism (I seem to digest fat visually :( ).
I only do free weights and almost always exercise each muscle in isolation with slow reps at a weight I can lift. I alternate between drop sets and just plain auld' step up. I'm pretty disciplined when I work out (if not so much, how often I work out).
I'm a big fan of Scoobys Workshop Whilst this doesn't help the hetrosexuality case- the guy gives sound advise.

But alas, I fear you are correct, my genes are not geared towards having a fouth-cep! :(
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote: But this particular muscle just doesn't bloody well exist on my arms!
I work out to stay in shape and possibly more so to assist my metabolism (I seem to digest fat visually :( ).
I only do free weights and almost always exercise each muscle in isolation with slow reps at a weight I can lift. I alternate between drop sets and just plain auld' step up. I'm pretty disciplined when I work out (if not so much, how often I work out).
I'm a big fan of Scoobys Workshop Whilst this doesn't help the hetrosexuality case- the guy gives sound advise.

But alas, I fear you are correct, my genes are not geared towards having a fouth-cep! :(
Compound exercises will build muscle better than isolating a muscle. Lifting faster with a weight that you can't (or can barely) lift, will help.

I didn't know which muscle you meant but it appears you mean the middle head of the tricep. Try skulls (Use a spotter if you are going heavy or you will find out why they are called skulls)
Or heavy tricep pulldowns
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: But this particular muscle just doesn't bloody well exist on my arms!

Compound exercises will build muscle better than isolating a muscle. Lifting faster with a weight that you can't (or can barely) lift, will help.

I didn't know which muscle you meant but it appears you mean the middle head of the tricep. Try skulls (Use a spotter if you are going heavy or you will find out why they are called skulls)
Must be, Will do, wide or close grip?
Can you expand on compound? A "Weight I can lift" would be a weight that I would barely make 8 reps with, which seems to be the norm.
Thanks.
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote:
johng wrote:

Must be, Will do, wide or close grip?
Can you expand on compound? A "Weight I can lift" would be a weight that I would barely make 8 reps with, which seems to be the norm.
Thanks.
Compound exercises are ones that utilise several muscle groups. Eg Squat, Bench press, Barbell curls etc.

Perhaps the best compound exercise for triceps is probably dips.

Wide grip for chest narrow for triceps.

You can also do these between 2 benches with heavy weights on your lap also. You would be surprised how heavy you can go with these.

when I was not as heavy I could do parallel bar dips (not between 2 benches) with a 25kg plate between my knees (on a chain)

Between benches you could do multiples of that.

Narrow grip on the pulldowns. Shoulder with on the Skulls btw.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

johng wrote:
Perhaps the best compound exercise for triceps is probably dips.

Wide grip for chest narrow for triceps.
Sorry. Slight correction. What I meant to say was elbows out for chest, elbows in for triceps. i.e your elbows should be pointing along the lines of the dipping bars for triceps.

A lot of chyte gets talked about weight training. Most stuff that advanced bodybuilders will do is not applicable to normal humans.

The basics (for normal humans) are simple enough. Possibly the most important thing about any routine is that you buy into it mentally and it keeps you coming back. (ok the 2nd most important thing next to don't do anything dangerous)

No point having the most scientifically advanced workout in the known universe if you hate it and feel it is not working for you.