Dummies guide to weight training

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Dummies guide to weight training

Post by Peg Leg »

RoboProp wrote:I recently added the front squat with push press to my work-out, definitely not for the neophyte as the front squat can be tricky technique wise. Its a great compound exercise that works a lot of muscle groups, it will leave you feeling gassed quite quickly. Here's a demo I found of the exercise, quality is not great. Some people break it up, but I like to do the squat followed by the push press.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN5yYDai97w
Ah squats..... I cant do'em full stop! Stupid peg means any weight loading that is'nt on a locked straight (or thereabouts) leg for any duration feks me up completely! Anyone have any ideas for leg exercises that i can do on my back with the legs (all 1.5 of them) elevated?
My good leg is like an olympians as I tend to hop a lot but the shorter one looks like a school girls :oops:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Peg Leg wrote:
RoboProp wrote:I recently added the front squat with push press to my work-out, definitely not for the neophyte as the front squat can be tricky technique wise. Its a great compound exercise that works a lot of muscle groups, it will leave you feeling gassed quite quickly. Here's a demo I found of the exercise, quality is not great. Some people break it up, but I like to do the squat followed by the push press.

Ah squats..... I cant do'em full stop! Stupid peg means any weight loading that is'nt on a locked straight (or thereabouts) leg for any duration feks me up completely! Anyone have any ideas for leg exercises that i can do on my back with the legs (all 1.5 of them) elevated?
My good leg is like an olympians as I tend to hop a lot but the shorter one looks like a school girls :oops:
Have you tried leg press and leg extension machines? They maybe your best best. Or maybe farmers walk?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

RoboProp wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:

Have you tried leg press and leg extension machines? They maybe your best best. Or maybe farmers walk?
Leg press is great, however I train at home so I need a free weight alternative. What's farmers walk?
Daniel Sullivan
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Hold something heavy in each hand and walk a defined distance. If you can find one, a super yolk is equally awesome.

farmers walk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaSwdBvtPV0

super yolk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc5Zs0xFhMk
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Peg Leg wrote:

Maybe try step-ups? If you can, obviously add weight. A great exercise for the legs but also a cardio blaster as well.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Recently watched "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" for the 2nd time. A great documentary it has to be said.
I have to admit, that I came to some different conclusions watching it this time as to when I watched it the first.
What are peoples thoughts?

Also, for those interested - there is a great thread on theplanetrugby.com forum regarding training. Kept up-to-date and some very knowledgeable posters contribute to it.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

tones wrote:Recently watched "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" for the 2nd time. A great documentary it has to be said.
I have to admit, that I came to some different conclusions watching it this time as to when I watched it the first.

Also, for those interested - there is a great thread on theplanetrugby.com forum regarding training. Kept up-to-date and some very knowledgeable posters contribute to it.
Any link to the thread? Not huge on "hitting the iron" more a fan of hiit using body weight but always looking for new ideas
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

TerenureJim wrote:
tones wrote:Recently watched "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" for the 2nd time. A great documentary it has to be said.

Any link to the thread? Not huge on "hitting the iron" more a fan of hiit using body weight but always looking for new ideas

Here you go
http://forum.planet-rugby.com/viewtopic ... t=training
A very big thread, but if you sttart following it you will come across something useful. Also, a few of the contributors are very much in-the-know and quite open to any queries you may have and will offer help.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Anyone else out the doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) just wondering what exercises and reps people are doing and what cardio working in at the end.

Doing a mix of plank, burpees, squats, Spider-Man push ups, mountain climbers and random ab exercises for 30 or so mins with some 30 seconds breaks thrown in at the end of each set. Following up with 5k on the treadmill mixing 90 second jog and 60 flat out.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote:Anyone else out the doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) just wondering what exercises and reps people are doing and what cardio working in at the end.

Doing a mix of plank, burpees, squats, Spider-Man push ups, mountain climbers and random ab exercises for 30 or so mins with some 30 seconds breaks thrown in at the end of each set. Following up with 5k on the treadmill mixing 90 second jog and 60 flat out.
Our office is moving in the new year and I'm hoping to find a HIT lunchtime session in Ashbourne. One of the lads in the office is doing a HIT-TRX-Medicine ball thingy about 4 times a week, ill find out what he is at.
Question: do you time each set, or go til you're broken?
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Peg Leg wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Anyone else out the doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) just wondering what exercises and reps people are doing and what cardio working in at the end.

Our office is moving in the new year and I'm hoping to find a HIT lunchtime session in Ashbourne. One of the lads in the office is doing a HIT-TRX-Medicine ball thingy about 4 times a week, ill find out what he is at.
Question: do you time each set, or go til you're broken?
Generally just go till in bits with the exercise mix (squats etc) generally 25-30 mins then have a breather 1-2 mins and get going on the treadmill.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Good ones to throw in are Deadlifts and Bent-Over rows.
One I have used the past;

4 sets of
Straight Leg Deadlifts - 6-8 reps
Plank - 30 Seconds
Sprint - 1min
Rest 90 seconds

Variations to include Squats, Push Press etc. Gets the ticker going