Dummies guide to weight training

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

leinster80
Enlightened

Dummies guide to weight training

Post by leinster80 »

Anyone got some decent links to trustworthy sites having good info for newcomers to weight training. Started to make use of gym at work but so far have been just switching between cardio training and a few weights without really knowing what I am at.
Shake your di*ks, this pissing contest is over!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: Dummies guide to weight training

Post by RoboProp »

What are you looking to do? Gain muscle mass? Tone up?
leinster80
Enlightened

Post by leinster80 »

RoboProp wrote:What are you looking to do? Gain muscle mass? Tone up?
Tone up.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I'm sure others will have better advice. I'd say do a three day split. Mon-Wed-Fri or whatever suits you best. The key factor is the day off inbetween to allow your muscle to rest up and reduce causing wear and tear. Don't neglect your cardio. I would go for something like:

Monday -Shoulder and Back
Dumbell presses, shrugs, front raises, lateral pull down, dorsal rows. That sort of thing. Do a weight you're comfortable with, start with lighter weight with higher reps for first set 12-15. Increase weight reduce reps each set you up the weight. Do three sets like that. Only lift what you're comfortable with, don't be killing yourself out there.

Wednesday - Legs
Leg extensions, leg curls, weighted lunges, leg press, calf raises, squats. If you do no other exercise ever do squats. The king of weight exercises.

Friday - Chest and arms - Flat bench, chest flies, dips, tricep extentions, bicep curls. maybe add preacher and/or hammer curls. Hammer will give your bicep thickness, preacher will work on your bicep peak.

You may want to work some dead lifts in there too. Good all rounder. I like compound exercises, with a bit of isolation stuff tagged on.

Do the exercises you like. If you hate a particular one don't do it, but don't neglect the muscle either. Find an alternate you like. Lots of good material out there online. And even good videos on Youtube. This may not be to your liking, key is stick at it till you find something that works for you. Happy lifting.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

RoboProp wrote:I'm sure others will have better advice. I'd say do a three day split. Mon-Wed-Fri or whatever suits you best. The key factor is the day off inbetween to allow your muscle to rest up and reduce causing wear and tear. Don't neglect your cardio. I would go for something like:

Dumbell presses, shrugs, front raises, lateral pull down, dorsal rows. That sort of thing. Do a weight you're comfortable with, start with lighter weight with higher reps for first set 12-15. Increase weight reduce reps each set you up the weight. Do three sets like that. Only lift what you're comfortable with, don't be killing yourself out there.

Wednesday - Legs
Leg extensions, leg curls, weighted lunges, leg press, calf raises, squats. If you do no other exercise ever do squats. The king of weight exercises.

Friday - Chest and arms - Flat bench, chest flies, dips, tricep extentions, bicep curls. maybe add preacher and/or hammer curls. Hammer will give your bicep thickness, preacher will work on your bicep peak.

You may want to work some dead lifts in there too. Good all rounder. I like compound exercises, with a bit of isolation stuff tagged on.

Do the exercises you like. If you hate a particular one don't do it, but don't neglect the muscle either. Find an alternate you like. Lots of good material out there online. And even good videos on Youtube. This may not be to your liking, key is stick at it till you find something that works for you. Happy lifting.
Jeez Robo, what would you make the poor lad do if he wanted to actually build some muscle? :shock: :)
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

johng wrote:
RoboProp wrote:I'm sure others will have better advice. I'd say do a three day split. Mon-Wed-Fri or whatever suits you best. The key factor is the day off inbetween to allow your muscle to rest up and reduce causing wear and tear. Don't neglect your cardio. I would go for something like:

Wednesday - Legs

Jeez Robo, what would you make the poor lad do if he wanted to actually build some muscle? :shock: :)
Ah for that he would have needed Momma Robo's patented steak, eggs, beans and potatoes post match on a Saturday dinner....with seconds!
leinster80
Enlightened

Post by leinster80 »

Wednesday - Legs

Cheers, sounds like a plan.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

leinster80 wrote:

Wednesday - Legs

Cheers, sounds like a plan.
That's an advanced routine for a beginner.

Some general principles

Always train the biggest muscles first. In order Quads, Back, Chest, Shoulders, Calves, Arms.

So If you put Back and Shoulders together, do back 1st.

Generally leave abs till last as they are complex muscles to get blood back out of.

Try and group muscles together that are in close proximity.

Like Robo, I favour compound exorcises. Squats, Bench etc. However ALWAYS remember, that while the Squat is the king of exercises, it is potentially lethal. Get instruction and work on technique, before you handle big weights.

Cycle your training. Build up weights slowly. Get to a good level over a few months, then take a week off. Add or change a few exercises, and start back lighter, building up again. (A bit faster perhaps)

Listen to your body, over training is the most common mistake, especially in younger guys.

Something that many gym rats neglect is Abs. Core exercises are very important (As any pro Rugby head will tell you)

I neglect them a lot myself. I am considering joining a class once a week for a while to get core (ie. the core or centre of your body) strength up.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

www.fmtraining.co.uk

the guy knows his stuff.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

I find starting strength a good routine, there's a good wiki page which goes through it all. It hits all the big compound lifts and works the whole body without spending hours in the gym. As Johng said whatever you do don't neglect the core if your going to be playing rugby. I did and made a mess of my groin/hips. Couple of simple situps/plank/lunges etc is a good starting point for the abs/core
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Starting strength is a damn good start.

If your "routine" doesn't include deadlift, squat, press of the bench and shoulder varieties, cleans and snatch it aint worth sh!t, imo. See http://stronglifts.com/ and the links in my signature for more details.

and consume more protein
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
leinster80
Enlightened

Post by leinster80 »

I have grouped together as suggested by Roboprop can go with a different group each day. Based on from what I could find online 3 sets of 10-12 Reps is standard using a weight that leaves you struggling on last rep. It has to be better than my meandering between machines for the last couple of weeks.

Back: Lat pull downs
Shoulders: Lateral Raise

Chest: Pec deck machine
Biceps: Bicep Curls
Triceps: Pushdowns on a cable machine

Quadriceps: Leg Extension
Hamstrings: Leg Curl

Abs: Crunch
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Slightly related, I see Lucozade are selling protein supps in Dunnes now. Anyone used them, know if they're any good?

ETA: One of my mates does weight training courses in Greystones if anyone is interested
http://5starfist.webs.com/
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Noooooo don't go near the lucozade protein stuf. It's jam full of carbs- avoid like the plague!!!

Only use one that has minimal carbs but lots of protein.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

tate wrote:Starting strength is a damn good start.

If your "routine" doesn't include deadlift, squat, press of the bench and shoulder varieties, cleans and snatch it aint worth sh!t, imo. See http://stronglifts.com/ and the links in my signature for more details.

and consume more protein
The snatch is an extremely difficult and technical lift, plus very few gyms have the right equipment [bumper plates, platform], the right attitude [not minding you dumping missed lifts from overhead positions], or the right trainers for it to form a big part of a beginner's program, in my opinion.

It's an outstanding lift, but it's hard as f*ck to master.

Otherwise I think that's very, very good advice.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

hugonaut wrote:
tate wrote:Starting strength is a damn good start.

and consume more protein
The snatch is an extremely difficult and technical lift, plus very few gyms have the right equipment [bumper plates, platform], the right attitude [not minding you dumping missed lifts from overhead positions], or the right trainers for it to form a big part of a beginner's program, in my opinion.

It's an outstanding lift, but it's hard as f*ck to master.

Otherwise I think that's very, very good advice.
agree it's very difficult but you can learn the hang power snatch quite easily and for sports a lot of trainers think it's a enough. At any rate seems my wonderful advice has been astutely ignored. Grrr. Leinster80 when you get bored of that plan and want to get strong give us a shout!!
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

Have a look at this guys - http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles.html

This guy is called the "pro-maker" as he trains guys to play in the NFL.
I Started off doing his Westside for skinny b$&%@#ds, and have gone from 80Kg wimp to 90Kg of muscle in a few months.
Definitely worth a look.

And if you can find a copy of this guys film "Strong" watch it, class!
Heres a preview http://www.defrancostraining.com/strong-the-movie.html
BOD is GOD!
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

RavenhillRaider wrote:Have a look at this guys - http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles.html

This guy is called the "pro-maker" as he trains guys to play in the NFL.
I Started off doing his Westside for skinny b$&%@#ds, and have gone from 80Kg wimp to 90Kg of muscle in a few months.
Definitely worth a look.

And if you can find a copy of this guys film "Strong" watch it, class!
Heres a preview http://www.defrancostraining.com/strong-the-movie.html

looks good too, there is lots of really good advice out there, unfortunately it tends to get drowned out in a sea of bullshit.

To quote the ever quotable Coach Rippetoe "There is no such thing as “firming and toning.” There is only stronger and weaker."
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Wednesday - Legs

What's the zimmer frame version?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

actually can I ask a couple of follow-ons - I'm in the same ballpark as leinster80 in terms of aspirations and do weights on Mon/Wed/Fri - on the 'off' days, should I rest totally? At the minute I do about 45 mins of cardio on Tues & Thurs, and often once over the weekend. Also, very generally, what and when should I eat around gym sessions?