Dummies guide to weight training

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

gleesonisgod
Mullet

Re: Dummies guide to weight training

Post by gleesonisgod »

I was given this workout, covers most of what you need and you can bang it out in 40-50 mins(assuming you have a partner)

ex1 - Barbell bench press 5x5
ex2 - Military Press 5x5
ex3 - Chin ups (Wide grips) 5x5
ex4 - DB Pullovers (5 sets of 10)

90 seconds rest between each exercise and you shouldn't be able to lift much more than 5 reps on ex1 through 4 and prob not even get 5 on the last set.

I've just had knee surgery and cant do anything on my feet so have been doing this every other day for the last couple of weeks and really enjoying it. No need to be doing tons of different exercises on each specific muscle group unless you are really serious about bulking. I'm slowly getting bigger and leaner doing the above and my lifts are increasing too.

Stay away from deadlifts unless you have been very well instructed and have good tekkers, you can crucify your back if you do them wrong.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

darkside lighteside wrote:actually can I ask a couple of follow-ons - I'm in the same ballpark as leinster80 in terms of aspirations and do weights on Mon/Wed/Fri - on the 'off' days, should I rest totally? At the minute I do about 45 mins of cardio on Tues & Thurs, and often once over the weekend. Also, very generally, what and when should I eat around gym sessions?
I would do cardio on your days off.
Pre-work out only one thing for you
Show Spoiler:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Question one on this thread was. "Do you want to build muscle or just tone up" The guy said "Just tone up"
Then we had a few pages of "how to get as big as a house" :lol:
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

johng wrote:Question one on this thread was. "Do you want to build muscle or just tone up" The guy said "Just tone up"
no-one suggested juicing so his mammy will still recognize him when he goes home for christmas!!
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

tate wrote:
johng wrote:Question one on this thread was. "Do you want to build muscle or just tone up" The guy said "Just tone up"
no-one suggested juicing so his mammy will still recognize him when he goes home for christmas!!
Even with gas there is only so big your genetics will let you become....its HGH you'd want for that! :D

I wouldn't recommend going that route for anyone. So much of it is down to the genes. Effectively, I'm not gonna be able to run the 100m in 10 seconds the same I'm sure Usain Bolt couldn't overhead press 145kg...maybe he can, he's a genetic freak of nature. Ok, gonna stop before accusations of eugenicist start! :lol:
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

RoboProp wrote:
tate wrote:
Even with gas there is only so big your genetics will let you become....its HGH you'd want for that! :D

I wouldn't recommend going that route for anyone. So much of it is down to the genes. Effectively, I'm not gonna be able to run the 100m in 10 seconds the same I'm sure Usain Bolt couldn't overhead press 145kg...maybe he can, he's a genetic freak of nature. Ok, gonna stop before accusations of eugenicist start! :lol:
as long as it's for the good of leinster and ireland then selective breeding is ok in my book :lol: :lol:

:shock: is that your press roboprop?
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I fudged the figures to sound better. Lucky to hit 110kg weights on an Olympic bar these days. Have been under the knife a couple of times. Still can squat fairly heavy, can bench decent enough weight for reps too. Safe to say though Derek Poundstone has nothing to worry about!

He's using the "suicide grip" here!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx_dPwQQozc
leinster80
Enlightened

Post by leinster80 »

Was doing the Chest (lat pulldown) Biceps (curls) and Triceps(pull down rope) today. Can feel I have worked out the triceps all right but not the biceps. If anything the bicep curls I was doing felt like they were working my triceps more. Obviously doing something wrong, was seated on bench and lifted the weights through 95 degrees for 3 sets of 10 reps, taking one arm at a time.
Shake your di*ks, this pissing contest is over!
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

leinster80 wrote:Was doing the Chest (lat pulldown) Biceps (curls) and Triceps(pull down rope) today. Can feel I have worked out the triceps all right but not the biceps. If anything the bicep curls I was doing felt like they were working my triceps more. Obviously doing something wrong, was seated on bench and lifted the weights through 95 degrees for 3 sets of 10 reps, taking one arm at a time.
I don't think there's any need to do bicep weights, I find your arms naturally get jacked from all the other exercises. Mate of mine with the biggest arms does literally no arm weights. Also, the triceps accounts for about 70 percent of the upper arm's muscle mass.

That said, 21s are great fun. Sleeves up, in the mirror. You know what I'm talkin' 'bout! http://www.ehow.com/how_5008571_execute ... -ones.html

P.S. The lat pulldown does your lats not your chest.......
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
leinster80
Enlightened

Post by leinster80 »

gleesonisgod wrote: That said, 21s are great fun. Sleeves up, in the mirror. You know what I'm talkin' 'bout! http://www.ehow.com/how_5008571_execute ... -ones.html
What would be looking back out of the mirror at me would be nothing to be impressed at.
gleesonisgod wrote:
P.S. The lat pulldown does your lats not your chest.......
Should have said the pec deck, using the lat pulldown to cover my back.
Shake your di*ks, this pissing contest is over!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peck Deck is something you pick as 3rd or 4th chest exercise. If you are only doing 1 pick the bench. It's the daddy.

Roboprop is probably recoiling in horror at you not benching.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

To quote my friend Paul from the documentary "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" -
"If I can outlift everybody, I can out-squat them, out-bench them, out-dead-lift them, who's the king?"

Then again Paul is 50 and lives in his van.... :?
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

RoboProp wrote:To quote my friend Paul from the documentary "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" -
"If I can outlift everybody, I can out-squat them, out-bench them, out-dead-lift them, who's the king?"

jokes on us living in houses then, or have i reached the wrong conclusion.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

tate wrote:
RoboProp wrote:To quote my friend Paul from the documentary "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" -

jokes on us living in houses then, or have i reached the wrong conclusion.
I have this strange respect for Paul from the documentary. Yeah, he's pathetic, Yeah, he's deluded, but when its all said and done no matter how bad things may seem...you can always lift! :)
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

"The iron never lies . . ." i guess
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Aaaybady wonna be a badaybuilda, but don't noboday wonna lift this heavy ass weight!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Lads - all the above is useful if someone wants to build up. But for toning and weight loss I would be surprised if the above is valid.

The routines above would mean that each muscle group would have a heavy work out once a week - rather than working all the muscle groups at each visit to the gym i.e. 3 times a week. That along wth CV (like swimming) is I assume more likely to improve general muscle tone.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

you can only have one of the following - large muscles, small muscles or fat. Toning is the maintenance of small muscles but muscles nevertheless

What has been suggested by myself and others as regards deadlifting squatting etc will not suddenly result in some monstrous strongman or international rugby player or bodybuilder like physique. In order to get that big you need to eat like a horse as well as having the genes and the juice. Believe me that wont just happen unless you really want it. And if your mindset is "toning" then it will never happen.
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

The Doc wrote:Lads - all the above is useful if someone wants to build up. But for toning and weight loss I would be surprised if the above is valid.

The routines above would mean that each muscle group would have a heavy work out once a week - rather than working all the muscle groups at each visit to the gym i.e. 3 times a week. That along wth CV (like swimming) is I assume more likely to improve general muscle tone.
The workout I listed above was given to me by a competitive bodybuilder to do in conjunction with a diet and is focussed on fat loss.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

A word of warning

Before
After
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.