New years resolutions

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Re: New years resolutions

Postby johng » January 1st, 2013, 7:01 pm

blaker wrote:That article is only deadly

+ 10000000
User avatar
johng
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 17094
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: New years resolutions

Postby CiaranIrl » January 1st, 2013, 8:26 pm

johng wrote:
blaker wrote:That article is only deadly

+ 10000000


It's good, isn't it? Makes you think. Reading it really gave me a push to do a few things this year.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
User avatar
CiaranIrl
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3147
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: Dun Laoghaire

Re: New years resolutions

Postby fourthirtythree » January 2nd, 2013, 12:40 am

I stopped on the first page. Maybe I missed something but I just read an american corporate gimp take on the truism that what you are in the world is what you actually do and say rather than what goes on in your head.

But wrapped up in corporate gimp speak. And full of smugness.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8867
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: New years resolutions

Postby johng » January 2nd, 2013, 12:54 am

fourthirtythree wrote:I stopped on the first page. Maybe I missed something but I just read an american corporate gimp take on the truism that what you are in the world is what you actually do and say rather than what goes on in your head.

But wrapped up in corporate gimp speak. And full of smugness.


Hey. Check out the big brain on 433!

Might have missed the point there Geoffrey.
User avatar
johng
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 17094
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: New years resolutions

Postby fourthirtythree » January 2nd, 2013, 1:24 am

Lifes short. I don't read all of everything. First page didn't make me want to read any further. Is page two great? If so he buried the lede. So, you know, following his logic he's a sh!t hipster who should be sacked.

Hipster is such a lazy shorthand for avoiding thinking critically about everything. I once used the term on this board (about fixed gear bikes) which I regret. I'm old and the fashions of young people are not really mine to evaluate.

Conflating the ability to stop bleeding with the ability to get money from selling worthless real estate in florida is lazy. In fact its pretty much the definition of stupid in my book.

I've never seen Glenggarry, nor did I watch the clip there, I only read the play about 25 years ago. I mean to get around to the film, along with te Maysle's bible salesmen, one of these years. The. Maysle's obviously. New tablet.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8867
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: New years resolutions

Postby icebaby » January 2nd, 2013, 1:47 am

And here's me thinking Glengarry Glenross was about a Castle in Scotland... (Really)
"Look what Leinster have done again"
User avatar
icebaby
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2336
Joined: August 23rd, 2006, 9:09 pm
Location: Dun Laoghaire, Dublin, Leinster

Re: New years resolutions

Postby nelly the elephant » January 2nd, 2013, 2:20 pm

fourthirtythree wrote:Lifes short. I don't read all of everything. First page didn't make me want to read any further. Is page two great? If so he buried the lede. So, you know, following his logic he's a sh!t hipster who should be sacked.

Hipster is such a lazy shorthand for avoiding thinking critically about everything. I once used the term on this board (about fixed gear bikes) which I regret. I'm old and the fashions of young people are not really mine to evaluate.

Conflating the ability to stop bleeding with the ability to get money from selling worthless real estate in florida is lazy. In fact its pretty much the definition of stupid in my book.

I've never seen Glenggarry, nor did I watch the clip there, I only read the play about 25 years ago. I mean to get around to the film, along with te Maysle's bible salesmen, one of these years. The. Maysle's obviously. New tablet.


Now there's one resolution you should make....to watch it. One of my favourite movies of all time.....Jack Lemmon is superb.....great performances also from Baldwin,Pacino and Pryce.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
User avatar
nelly the elephant
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2180
Joined: April 13th, 2008, 4:29 pm
Location: Gleann Fhaidhle, Contae Cill Mhantáin

Re: New years resolutions

Postby Peg Leg » January 2nd, 2013, 3:14 pm

1. A 5km run
2. Training at least twice a week
3. Family day trips at weekends- insert your 52 suggestions here (___________)-
4. Increase profits (this may involve underpants gnome style economics)
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8523
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: New years resolutions

Postby sid » January 2nd, 2013, 4:14 pm

1) I'm going to do some closing.

For some reason, it suddenly seems like a really good idea.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
User avatar
sid
Mullet
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: September 25th, 2010, 11:38 am
Location: Donny B's Traitor Brigade

Re: New years resolutions

Postby fourthirtythree » January 2nd, 2013, 4:39 pm

sid wrote:1) I'm going to do some closing.

For some reason, it suddenly seems like a really good idea.


Always
Be
Closing...

yeah, I really will get around to that film very soon. I actually was given the DVD in a work christmas party thing last year. Now to dig out the dvd player.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8867
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: New years resolutions

Postby Broken Wing » January 2nd, 2013, 5:14 pm

Peg Leg wrote:1. A 5km run


The Docklands 5K run is on the evening of Tuesday May 21st 2013 at 7.45.

It's a flat course which is always a help and it's 5 months away so you have plenty of time to get ready.

My own are:
1: Follow through on things instead of just saying I'll do a thing and then letting it drift.
2: Run the Dublin City Marathon in under 4 hours.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Broken Wing
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5144
Joined: April 3rd, 2006, 11:06 am
Location: South Stand, Baby!

Re: New years resolutions

Postby Peg Leg » January 2nd, 2013, 8:31 pm

Broken Wing wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:1. A 5km run


The Docklands 5K run is on the evening of Tuesday May 21st 2013 at 7.45.

It's a flat course which is always a help and it's 5 months away so you have plenty of time to get ready.

My own are:
1: Follow through on things instead of just saying I'll do a thing and then letting it drift.
2: Run the Dublin City Marathon in under 4 hours.

Might give it a go (is 3 nights enough to recover from the 18th?), thanks.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8523
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: New years resolutions

Postby Oldschool » January 3rd, 2013, 12:20 pm

Imaginary:
Find a real "Magic Talking Mirror" (Although I believe some scientist are working on such a device)

Real:-
Get my weight down to 16st.
Keep my weight at 16st.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 10871
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: New years resolutions

Postby Sarphil » January 3rd, 2013, 6:28 pm

Learn to swim.
'la vista che m'apparve d'un leone
Questi parea che contra me venisse
con la test'alta e con rabbiosa fame,
sì che parea che l'aere ne tremesse'
INFERNO CANTO 01

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
User avatar
Sarphil
Enlightened
 
Posts: 942
Joined: June 18th, 2006, 4:13 pm
Location: A field in Wexford

Re: New years resolutions

Postby RoboProp » January 3rd, 2013, 9:39 pm

Need to drop 10kgs before wedding, dont want to look like Oddjob on the day!
That’s my secret , Captain…I’m always angry.
User avatar
RoboProp
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3216
Joined: December 29th, 2008, 3:45 pm
Location: Mandalore

Re: New years resolutions

Postby Slipper1 » January 3rd, 2013, 10:45 pm

4hr15 for Limerick in May then 4hr for Dublin in October.
First triathlon in June.
Get in the f%~king bag.
User avatar
Slipper1
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8858
Joined: January 26th, 2006, 3:13 pm
Location: I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Re: New years resolutions

Postby Slipper1 » January 3rd, 2013, 10:48 pm

Peg Leg wrote:1. A 5km run


Loads of time to get that underway & I'd second the Docklands run, flat course & a really good fun atmosphere. I got a 10k PB twice on that course.
Get in the f%~king bag.
User avatar
Slipper1
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8858
Joined: January 26th, 2006, 3:13 pm
Location: I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Re: New years resolutions

Postby Grumpy Old Man » January 3rd, 2013, 10:51 pm

Slipper1 wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:1. A 5km run


Loads of time to get that underway & I'd second the Docklands run, flat course & a really good fun atmosphere. I got a 10k PB twice on that course.


Aren't you meant to do the 10k in one go?
A proud Winsome Fluter
User avatar
Grumpy Old Man
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 6593
Joined: February 22nd, 2006, 4:22 pm
Location: Home for the Slightly Bewildered

Re: New years resolutions

Postby Eve » January 4th, 2013, 12:07 am

Peg Leg wrote:1. A 5km run


Finished my first in December - used the C25K app - worth investigating if you're starting from the couch as I was.....

If I were to make a resolution it would be to stop resting on my laurels and run another one one of these days :-(
Summer is ready when you are

Image
User avatar
Eve
Mullet Moderator
 
Posts: 5108
Joined: January 25th, 2006, 1:06 pm

Re: New years resolutions

Postby Broken Wing » January 4th, 2013, 11:06 am

Eve wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:1. A 5km run


Finished my first in December - used the C25K app - worth investigating if you're starting from the couch as I was.....

If I were to make a resolution it would be to stop resting on my laurels and run another one one of these days :-(

At the this rate we'll need a running thread to keep the pressure on people interest going.

The Docklands are doing a 5K, an 8K and a 10K this year as well as a trail run series in the Phoenix Park (3 nights, both a 5K and 10K available on each night).
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Broken Wing
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5144
Joined: April 3rd, 2006, 11:06 am
Location: South Stand, Baby!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest