New years resolutions

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

josie
Graduate

Re: New years resolutions

Post by josie »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:This year, I want to run in, and finish, a race of any description. preferably the one at the end of October.
Any idea on how you are going to approach this Slipper? I keep saying I want to do it but have never actually got off my ass and done anything about it.
Pay your entry fee - that'll get you motivated!

Seriously though - enter a 5k and tell everyone you've done so and then you'll have to do it for fear of ridicule. Then do the same with a 10k and work your way up.
Oh pointy birds
Oh pointy, pointy
Anoint my head
Anointy, nointy
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Oldschool wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:Mine is the same every year, learn to speak French properly! I'll never do it!

You will only ever achieve this by living in France for a period of time.
What would be a realistic period of time, would you suggest.
Would it work over a number of years, rather than one year.

On the presumption you have basic French, you would be surprised how quickly you pick up words and meanings even over a weekend. Stay on a holiday for a few weeks and you will become accustomed to hearing those words regularly.
If you decide to ditch Mrs Oldschool and resettle in France with Nicole for say a year, you will most definitely be speaking some semblance of the french language.
If you decide to work on it over the years you will learn the language but probably not ever be fluent. Fluency(writing, reading, speaking) IMHO requires immersion in the French culture. You dont need to be fluent. Im not 100% fluent but am not far off it. Ive been there for a while and visit regular. It helps to be 'thinking' constantly in french as opposed to translating all the time. Learning the verbs is simple and once you have a dozen or so under your belt you can speak basic French.
My advice would be pick up a French Newspaper once a month and read it from cover to cover. Watch the odd French programme on TV5 and do try and holiday there once a year or every other year.
As European languages go, it is quite an easy one to grasp.
3 Gold Stars
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:This year, I want to run in, and finish, a race of any description. preferably the one at the end of October.
Any idea on how you are going to approach this Slipper? I keep saying I want to do it but have never actually got off my ass and done anything about it.
My Dad ran 19 marathons and still raves about this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Runners-Handboo ... 948&sr=8-1

After a while you can progress to

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Competitive-Run ... 948&sr=8-3
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Likewise, except the race i'm in is 18th September, and I have a place so there is no escaping it (half marathon) - and perhaps i'll manage to match Johng's weight loss too, if I can get fit enough for the race - I need to!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

mikey wrote:
Likewise, except the race i'm in is 18th September, and I have a place so there is no escaping it (half marathon) - and perhaps i'll manage to match Johng's weight loss too, if I can get fit enough for the race - I need to!
Hope there is no Leinster game on that day. :)

You do have a several stone head start on me however.

I usually do the Wexford cycle about that time of year. Hopefully we get a good summer to get the training in.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

johng wrote:
mikey wrote:

I usually do the Wexford cycle about that time of year. Hopefully we get a good summer to get the training in.

I;d not be so sure that i'm that far ahead!!!

better not be a Leinster game - it is a Sunday so hopefully there wont be a clash, but knowing my luck, it will clash!

The hard part is getting to the point where getting in from work and going for a run becomes more appealing than opening a bottle of wine!.....I did manage it about 8 years ago, lost 3 stone and did the same run, so I know it is possible.....problem is the will power to do it is hard to find.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

mikey wrote:
johng wrote:
mikey wrote: Likewise, except the race i'm in is 18th September, and I have a place so there is no escaping it (half marathon) - and perhaps i'll manage to match Johng's weight loss too, if I can get fit enough for the race - I need to!

I;d not be so sure that i'm that far ahead!!!

better not be a Leinster game - it is a Sunday so hopefully there wont be a clash, but knowing my luck, it will clash!

The hard part is getting to the point where getting in from work and going for a run becomes more appealing than opening a bottle of wine!.....I did manage it about 8 years ago, lost 3 stone and did the same run, so I know it is possible.....problem is the will power to do it is hard to find.
Just don't over think it, take it day by day, and always remember.......... The biggest barrier to exercise is.......... Your hall door.

If you can get through that you rarely if ever turn back. Don't listen to any of your own arguments until you get through the hall door. Then you are probably fine.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
I think that Josie is right, I plan to clock up a couple of 5k races to gain some confidence and take it from there. I've already entered one a couple of years back and got half way around until my shorts tore my legs to bits and I was told to stop by the medics, but to be honest, I would never have finished anyway, every step past that point brought me further from home so I was fighting a losing battle from then on.

I think there is a series of small races throughout the year (Addidas series?) that are run to aid the marathon training.

On learning French, I have decent conversational french learnt while spending a school summer over there, I keep it up with an annual holiday and I have put a Linguaphone type course on my iPod and I listen to a module or two occasionally. I find that really brings back the ability to speak it.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:

On the presumption you have basic French, you would be surprised how quickly you pick up words and meanings even over a weekend. Stay on a holiday for a few weeks and you will become accustomed to hearing those words regularly.
If you decide to ditch Mrs Oldschool and resettle in France with Nicole for say a year, you will most definitely be speaking some semblance of the french language.
If you decide to work on it over the years you will learn the language but probably not ever be fluent. Fluency(writing, reading, speaking) IMHO requires immersion in the French culture. You dont need to be fluent. Im not 100% fluent but am not far off it. Ive been there for a while and visit regular. It helps to be 'thinking' constantly in french as opposed to translating all the time. Learning the verbs is simple and once you have a dozen or so under your belt you can speak basic French.
My advice would be pick up a French Newspaper once a month and read it from cover to cover. Watch the odd French programme on TV5 and do try and holiday there once a year or every other year.
As European languages go, it is quite an easy one to grasp.
Thanks for the feedback, it's actually very encouragingly put too.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

[quote="Slipper1"]
I've already entered one a couple of years back and got half way around until my shorts tore my legs to bits and I was told to stop by the medics, but to be honest, I would never have finished anyway, every step past that point brought me further from home so I was fighting a losing battle from then on.

You need Lycra shorts - its the future I tell you!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

mikey wrote:
Slipper1 wrote: I've already entered one a couple of years back and got half way around until my shorts tore my legs to bits and I was told to stop by the medics, but to be honest, I would never have finished anyway, every step past that point brought me further from home so I was fighting a losing battle from then on.
To show how badly prepared I was, I was running in a heavy "old style" pair of rugby shorts!!
Get in the f%~king bag.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

IanD wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:

Thanks Ian. Have ordered the runners handbook.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
IanD wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:

Thanks Ian. Have ordered the runners handbook.
Me too! And mine has already arrived via my Kindle App. I will read it when motivated :wink:
Get in the f%~king bag.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Slipper1 wrote:
mikey wrote:
Slipper1 wrote: I've already entered one a couple of years back and got half way around until my shorts tore my legs to bits and I was told to stop by the medics, but to be honest, I would never have finished anyway, every step past that point brought me further from home so I was fighting a losing battle from then on.
To show how badly prepared I was, I was running in a heavy "old style" pair of rugby shorts!!
Slightly off topic but I was playing a game in 3rd year that should really have been called off due to rain but had to go ahead because it had been re-arranged so many times. I've never felt my kit so heavy and all our shorts started cutting into our legs. Most of us were alright except one guy whose shorts were slightly shorter than they should have been...and therefore cut him a bit higher than everywhere else....lets just say the part he cut rhymes with sallback...shudder!
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

I don't make resolutions, but I set goals, things I want to achieve by the end of the year. Some are ridiculously unobtainable (I want to conquer the Monroes by the time I die, so every year I stick 'walk 3 monroes' on my list. I haven't yet.), some are pyschological - be more assertive (I'm not very good at saying no. I need to be!) and procrastinate less (I'm already failing that one!), then I have the 'big' goals - there are three - find a new job (I was supposed to update my CV this holiday, but I'll start looking for a new job this week), get rid of my tummy (when I started my company just over a year ago, I bought a dress for the launch party. It's beautiful and a size 8. I look like a heffalump in it!) and make a royal iced cake.

I put my list (there are 31 goals for 2011!) on my fridge so I can always see it and I can cross things off when I do them. I also have a mid-year review.

Good luck to all those who have made resolutions this year. I hope you stick to them. 2011 is going to be a good year :D
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

claire_m wrote:I don't make resolutions, but I set goals, things I want to achieve by the end of the year. Some are ridiculously unobtainable (I want to conquer the Monroes by the time I die, so every year I stick 'walk 3 monroes' on my list. I haven't yet.), some are pyschological - be more assertive (I'm not very good at saying no. I need to be!) and procrastinate less (I'm already failing that one!), then I have the 'big' goals - there are three - find a new job (I was supposed to update my CV this holiday, but I'll start looking for a new job this week), get rid of my tummy (when I started my company just over a year ago, I bought a dress for the launch party. It's beautiful and a size 8. I look like a heffalump in it!) and make a royal iced cake.

I put my list (there are 31 goals for 2011!) on my fridge so I can always see it and I can cross things off when I do them. I also have a mid-year review.

Good luck to all those who have made resolutions this year. I hope you stick to them. 2011 is going to be a good year :D

So, a new job required, but you have a company - humm, dont like the boss then??!!! :oops:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

claire_m wrote:I want to conquer the Monroes by the time I die, so every year I stick 'walk 3 monroes' on my list.
Ya wha??? Marilyn? Matt?
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

mikey wrote: The hard part is getting to the point where getting in from work and going for a run
My Dad simply ran home form work. That way when he got in the training was done. His run home was about 8 miles or so and he would go home different routes to build up the miles. We lived in Shankill at the time and my Dad and his friends would get the Dart to Howth and run back. Cant stop halfway home then.

I dont want to be putting people off running the marathon but please be aware it is a long process. Both my Dad and I know loads of people who made half arsed attempts and ended up injured. My Dad ran all year round but form July to October was proper training. He was clocking up 70 miles a week over 4 - 5 days. Admittedly he was always aiming for sub 3hrs.

Speaking to him the best advice he had bar the books is to get you mileage done while not running. This aids in reducing impact injuries. Basically most people average 8 minute miles in a marathon so if you want to get an 10 mile run done you should cycle or swim for 80 minutes.

I used to race allot of 10ks when I was younger and trained with my Dad on his short runs and the best advice I can give you is to get 2 pairs of good running shoes. Alternate them and dont use them for anything else - you dont want to waste the support and cushioning walking to the shops. Alternating the runners will reduce blisters as each pair even if they are the same will have different pressure points. I have talked to other people and they disagree as they feel that your runners get used to your feet quicker. Each to their own but try alternating your shoes to see what works for you - blisters can ruin your training.

Also join an athletics club if you can or arrange to meet up with others for training particularly on longer runs. Makes it easier to get going and makes the miles go quicker.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

3360x1050
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

meinster wrote:3360x1050
That's a very good resolution.