Cycling

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

mikerob
Mullet

Re: Cycling

Post by mikerob »

I've got 105s which are the level above Tiagra on my bike 8) but from what I remember, the Sora and Tiagra shifters have a different design for the levers used to change gear, so there is really no substitute for trying both and seeing what you prefer. Make sure you try a variety of hand positions on the bars to see how easy it is to operate the shifters.

In addition to this, I'd expect the gear shifting on the Tiagra to be better anyway - slicker, more positive. Again you'd need to try it to see what you think.

Thats the problem with cycling, even if you go with Tiagras, soon you'll be lusting after 105s, then Ultegras, then Dura-Ace.... :wink:
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

I don't have too much to add about specific brands. i picked up a bottom-of-the range roadbike (racer) for Eur 600 equivalent last November as I didn't know if the sport was for me. Seriously, it was the cheapest I could find at any bike shop that wasn't 100% chinese made. Brand was Apollo I think. Have been very happy with it and got me through a half-ironman 3 weeks ago in a respectable time. Only carbon composite forks so do feel a bit of vibration but not bad.
Spent Eur 150 on pedals and shoes but best spend was to getting puncture resistant tyres (yes, they are slightly heavier but haven't had a single puncture). 2 keys things I learnt are:
1. Weight is not even close to as important as aerodynamics so don't spend an extra grand just to save a few grams. it really only helps on very steep climbs and acceleration. You're better off losing the weight from your body anyway ;-)
2. Get a proper bike setup done early by an experienced cyclist (ride the bike for a couple of weeks when you buy it to get used to it, then get the expert in the bike shop to make the fine adjustments to seat and handlebars) - it makes a massive difference to power outputs and injury prevention.
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

ribs wrote:....but best spend was to getting puncture resistant tyres (yes, they are slightly heavier but haven't had a single puncture). .....
Have to agree with you there, I don't compete but I've been lashing various bikes around town for about 12 years now between college/work commutes and I used to get a puncture about once a month partially because of the state of the cr@p left out on Dublin roads and partially because I don't like to have I nice gentile cycle, I need to go flat out all the time. Anyways I invested in some puncture resistant tyres and haven't had to get the bandage kit & pump out for about two/three years now. They are pricy for tyres but worth every penny.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

TerenureJim wrote:Anyways I invested in some puncture resistant tyres and haven't had to get the bandage kit & pump out for about two/three years now. They are pricy for tyres but worth every penny.
Where did you get them?
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Avenger wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Anyways I invested in some puncture resistant tyres and haven't had to get the bandage kit & pump out for about two/three years now. They are pricy for tyres but worth every penny.
Where did you get them?
McDonalds in Wexford st (just down from Whelans) but they have a shop in Rathgar as well (beside the corner deli).
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

I saw on boards.ie that they have a boards cycling jersey.
We could organize a leinsterfans.com one ;)
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

Puncture resistant tyres - I highly recommend the Schwalbe Marathon Pluses. They are a b$&%@#d to fit but (fingers crossed, touch wood) I've yet to have a puncture in almost 18 months use in London's cr@p filled streets.

Custom cycling jerseys - these guys do them http://www.owayo.com and there is an online jersey designer which is quite fun to play with - you can upload logos, store designs and the like. There is a minimum order quantity but can't remember what this is.
bren
Beginner

Post by bren »

Coincidentally my friend asked me the same questions a few days ago so here is the answer I provided to him. None of this is FACT just my opinion. His budget is £1,000-1,500.

Here are a few sites that I've used in the past.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... oryID=1996

This is the top of the list on the Chain Reaction site. It has a carbon fork with an aluminium body. It has Shimano ultegra shifters and gears with a Shimano chainset. It has decent Mavic wheels. They are the top four things to look for - forks, frame, shifters and wheels.

You'll pay £700-£1500 for a good bike with an aluminium frame and you can sometimes get a carbon fork included. If you want to go lighter you can go for a fully carbon bike but you'll do well to pay less than £1,500. Only go for Shimano Ultegra/Tiagra or Sram shifters - campagnolo have dropped the ball recently. Mavic and Fulcrum wheels are good but again you'll get what you pay for - do you want to drop £800-£1,000 for wheels alone? No, not many people do but you can get good deals and Bontragers usually do the business. However you'll usually get the wheels for the bike you buy. I have a relatively middle of the road set of wheels because my bike is pretty much middle of the road.

And now to what I think you'll like. I find that Evans' site is the best when you are shopping around. It's pretty easy to use and it has the best layout.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products-com ... 7Cec027222

I'd bite your hand off for the Cervelo. But the Trek is a great bike to start with. I currently cycle a 57cm but I really should be on a 56cm. This size is in the middle of the medium range. So I've chosen 56cm bikes for you even though I think you are slightly taller than me. You really have to get on the bike and ride it to see if it suits you. And if that comparison doesn't load they are available here;

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuj ... e-ec026236
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... e-ec023942
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cer ... e-ec027222

If you are determined to have a carbon bike this is a good one with all the trimmings
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... n%20frames

But like I said before you should head on down to a shop and try out some bikes. The golden rule is get on it and ride it.

Now remember that whatever you spend on the bike you will spend another £200 on gear although you did mention that you are getting some gear from your Dad I think? You could spend another £300-450 on a bike computer. It's not a cheap hobby.
bren
Beginner

Post by bren »

Continental GP4000 tyres will do a job for you.

Continental Gatorskins are a little more expensive but they will save you puncture hassle.
On a traffic light green means 'go' and yellow means 'yield', but on a banana it's just the opposite. Green means 'hold on,' yellow means 'go ahead,' and red means, 'where the f%~k did you get that banana at?' - Mitch Hedberg
bren
Beginner

Post by bren »

Or check Boards.ie for more info.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=410
On a traffic light green means 'go' and yellow means 'yield', but on a banana it's just the opposite. Green means 'hold on,' yellow means 'go ahead,' and red means, 'where the f%~k did you get that banana at?' - Mitch Hedberg
bren
Beginner

Post by bren »

Here are some LeinsferFans.com cycling jerseys that I've mocked up....

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

This is good fun.

and for those that like a little yellow in the jerseys ;)

Anyone got any idea how much it would cost to actually do it?
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Did the Wicklow 100 yesterday - which turned out to be the Wicklow 104.
Tough day given the weather conditions. Cold and very wet at the end but still glad I did it.
Saw a flyer for another event in Antrim in September and I'm considering doing that too.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

any tips on the best place to pick up a daycent second hand frame? Looking to keep myself busy this summer so going to attempt a fixie conversion. I've had a look at gumtree but not really sure where else to look.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

tate wrote:any tips on the best place to pick up a daycent second hand frame? Looking to keep myself busy this summer so going to attempt a fixie conversion. I've had a look at gumtree but not really sure where else to look.
You might have some luck here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1205

Also if someone is mad enough to take on the responsibility of getting a Leinsterfans jersey made up I'd be on for buying one. The boards.ie cycling forum have done this, all the info in this thread about what companies are best/cheapest etc here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2055891434

Fair play on the Wicklow 100 Avenger, by all accounts the weather was horrific
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

thanks waterboy, i'll give that a look
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

waterboy wrote:Fair play on the Wicklow 100 Avenger, by all accounts the weather was horrific
Cheers. Weather was shocking. I heard about a few crashes but didn't see any. The amount of surface water meant you had to be extra careful.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Just noticed this thread for the first time. I've been thinking about getting back into cycling for a while now and need to buy a new bike. I used to cycle regularly about 8-10 years ago and knew my stuff about the various makes and models back then. I'm hopelessly out of touch now though, so just wondering whether anyone has any advice as to what to go for?

My budget would be up to about €1,500 for the bike itself. I'd like to get a decent road bike for cycles in the evening and at weekends. Have been looking at the Giant TCR 2 online but, as I said, I really don't know what I'm doing.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent