Cycling

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: Cycling

Post by Avenger »

Don't know if you've got the bike yet tackle-bag but I spent just over the 1000 yoyo for the bike. Gear can be expensive but I look out for deals in Lidl etc. and you can pick up some good stuff there. I've got a maintenance stand for 35 quid a few weeks back.

I have gone out with a club a few times also and it is much easier to maintain a good pace in a group.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Noticed some great deals on Trek in McDonalds cycles in Rathgar when I was in there at lunchtime. Worth investigating if you're in the market for a new bike.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Lidl have cycling gear in again next week.
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

The big bike brands have announced their 2012 models over the last few weeks so you can get bargains from shops looking to clear out older stock.

+ depressingly, autumn is just around the corner... so many shops will be having sales of summer gear over the next month or so.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Aldi have cycling gear coming in on 29th of this month.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offer ... sday11.htm
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Just thought I would draw a bit more attention to this guy.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/8707.php

He broke the Irish cap record for a forward. 50 years ago. A record that stood for 50 years before that.

He played on the flank in a team with the likes of Jackie Kyle and Syd Millar.

I have been on the Wexford cycle myself. I remember one year stopping for a banana or something in Wicklow somewhere, a 77 year old Ronnie Kavanagh flew past me and I don't think I caught him.
I did it in 6 hours that year which is not terrible.

Most of us will be happy to be breathing at 80 never mind cycling to Wexford.

I don't know the man at all myself, but he seems to be a very cheerful and humble (and obviously very fit) sort of a guy.

He is the one on the left btw with the helmet. The guy in the middle is the much younger Peter McVerry.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Did my second Wicklow 100 yesterday. Huge difference with the good weather this year and it was a great spin in the hills.
I persuaded the company to enter a team and we raised over 1200 quid for the Irish Cancer Society so a good day all round (ignoring the football result)
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

That's brilliant! I'm kinda hoping to do it next year, it's one of my goals.
Those hills ain't fun in bad weather though.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Did the Bike-to-work scheme, bike arriving shortly. Will either be cycling in form Clontarf (no problem) or Portmarnock - slightly longer.
Anyone cycled for Port into the city? Until you get to the Howth road, it doesn't seem to be great for bikes. Also, what timelength should I be expecting?
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

tones wrote:Did the Bike-to-work scheme, bike arriving shortly. Will either be cycling in form Clontarf (no problem) or Portmarnock - slightly longer.
Anyone cycled for Port into the city? Until you get to the Howth road, it doesn't seem to be great for bikes. Also, what timelength should I be expecting?
What did you settle on? Just did it again for the second time myself.

From what I can remember, cycling along the coast road from sutton was ok all the way into the city - that was well over ten years ago though. Portmarnock to city should be around thirty-forty minutes depending on conditions. Nowadays I cycle along the Tyne and up through Newcastle city centre, a fifteen minute job door to desk.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Does anyone know what the deal is with those fold up bikes and can they be carried on the Luas (given i don't think you can take a standard bike on the tram) ?
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Tuscan hybrid. Seems to be ok, just under 300 yoyos
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Did those Leinsterfans cycling jerseys ever happen? Going cycling in France for a few weeks, would be cool to have :)
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Amz wrote:Did those Leinsterfans cycling jerseys ever happen? Going cycling in France for a few weeks, would be cool to have :)
Never did happen but it would been cool. 8)
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Ah, pity :(

I know the boards.ie ones over the years have been pretty popular, but probably more demand over there.

I prefer my nerd side to be slightly less obvious.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Anyone else doing the Wexford cycle next Saturday that has a plan to get back for the Embra game?

Probably end up watching it down there and getting the bus back at 9, but if anyone has a better plan.........