Digital TV - Terrestrial

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Digital TV - Terrestrial

Post by Oldschool »

Does anybody know if it is (or will be) possible to receive UTV with a Terestrial TV Aerial and Tuner?
More generally - What channels will be available on Terrestrial DTV in the Dublin area.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
brian_c
Mullet

Re: Digital TV - Terrestrial

Post by brian_c »

Oldschool wrote:Does anybody know if it is (or will be) possible to receive UTV with a Terestrial TV Aerial and Tuner?
More generally - What channels will be available on Terrestrial DTV in the Dublin area.
In some areas north of Balbriggan, and maybe some higher altitude areas maybe it will be possible but unlikely for most of the rest of the province. ITV Wales can be received in some parts of Wicklow. As far as I know there are no plans for UTV to increase it's broadcast area, TV3 are even protesting it's current availability. They even got ITV 2, 3 and 4 taken off cable.

With a terrestrial tv aerial and tuner you can receive the following channels:

Digital: RTÉ 1, RTÉ 2 HD, RTÉ News Now, TG4, TV3 and 3e
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

brian_c wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Does anybody know if it is (or will be) possible to receive UTV with a Terestrial TV Aerial and Tuner?
In some areas north of Balbriggan, and maybe some higher altitude areas maybe it will be possible but unlikely for most of the rest of the province. ITV Wales can be received in some parts of Wicklow. As far as I know there are no plans for UTV to increase it's broadcast area, TV3 are even protesting it's current availability. They even got ITV 2, 3 and 4 taken off cable.

When is RTÉ launching the Saorview thing anyway? I haven't seen much advertising about it come up on their channels of late, and my sky listings don't seem to have adjusted at all. That said I'm not even sure if Sky will defo have the extra channels. Would be nice to get Magners in HD going forward.

Thanks re ITV was wondering why they aren't on Sky.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

TerenureJim wrote:
brian_c wrote:

When is RTÉ launching the Saorview thing anyway? I haven't seen much advertising about it come up on their channels of late, and my sky listings don't seem to have adjusted at all. That said I'm not even sure if Sky will defo have the extra channels. Would be nice to get Magners in HD going forward.

Thanks re ITV was wondering why they aren't on Sky.
It's launched, they were obliged to do it by law, if they had any interest in it they'd have implemented a proper system rather than the waste of time they've gone for.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

It's launched? right well that's great, haven't heard a bloody thing about it. Yet another reason not to pay a tv lic. When the revolution comes I'm lining up the RTÉ execs, RTÉ "stars" along with the solicitors, bankers, developers, politicans, and economists.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote:
It's launched, they were obliged to do it by law, if they had any interest in it they'd have implemented a proper system rather than the waste of time they've gone for.
How do you mean a proper system? The system being used is far more advanced than that being used in the UK for example. Remember, RTE have delivered what they said they'd deliver when they said they'd deliver it. Any delays have been caused by political interference on foot of vested commerical interests. Indeed, RTE were ready to launch 5 years ago, but were prevented from doing so.
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote:
ronk wrote:
How do you mean a proper system? The system being used is far more advanced than that being used in the UK for example. Remember, RTE have delivered what they said they'd deliver when they said they'd deliver it. Any delays have been caused by political interference on foot of vested commerical interests. Indeed, RTE were ready to launch 5 years ago, but were prevented from doing so.
No, I like the way they use more advanced compression to make room for all the extra channels, small price to pay to have an incompatible system that's far more expensive than Freeview.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dave Cahill wrote:
ronk wrote:
Where was the info on the launch? Where was the promotion? How are mere mortals to avail of this new television service from the national broadcaster? It may be a great service but I haven't seen enough info on it and how to avail, maybe I've been hiding under a rock. I know RTÉ do a good job sometimes but they do drop the ball quite a lot.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
ronk wrote:
No, I like the way they use more advanced compression to make room for all the extra channels, small price to pay to have an incompatible system that's far more expensive than Freeview.
In what way is it far more expensive? A base level Saorview certified STB costs 89.99 in Power City, a similar box on Freeview HD costs 69.99 stg or 79 euros plus change. A tenner is hardly far more expensive.

A lot of people think that if we had used the same outdated system as they do in the UK we'd be able to pick up UK signals. Except for some extreme geographical locations, thats not the case. The nature of DVB-T, where a large number of low power transmitters provide the signal, means that this is, by design, not possible.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:
Where was the info on the launch? Where was the promotion? How are mere mortals to avail of this new television service from the national broadcaster? It may be a great service but I haven't seen enough info on it and how to avail, maybe I've been hiding under a rock. I know RTÉ do a good job sometimes but they do drop the ball quite a lot.
Launch hasn't happened yet. The system is up and broadcasting (as it has been in one form or another for at least the last 5 years), but it won't be formally launched until later this month, when RTEjr and at least one timeshift channel is added to the mix
I have Bumbleflex
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dave Cahill wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
Launch hasn't happened yet. The system is up and broadcasting (as it has been in one form or another for at least the last 5 years), but it won't be formally launched until later this month, when RTEjr and at least one timeshift channel is added to the mix
Where exactly have they been broadcasting, Nutley Lane? I'm in Terenure, so it's not quite the sticks, have all the mod cons re receivers etc. but haven't picked up anything despite my best efforts whenever I heard mention of testing in the papers.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
Where exactly have they been broadcasting, Nutley Lane? I'm in Terenure, so it's not quite the sticks, have all the mod cons re receivers etc. but haven't picked up anything despite my best efforts whenever I heard mention of testing in the papers.
Well I live in blanch and have been using the service via dvb-t on my computer since its mpeg-2 days. After the initial trial it went off air for about six months, but returned in time for the RWC07 and has been up pretty much continuously since.
I have Bumbleflex
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

TerenureJim wrote: Where exactly have they been broadcasting, Nutley Lane? I'm in Terenure, so it's not quite the sticks, have all the mod cons re receivers etc. but haven't picked up anything despite my best efforts whenever I heard mention of testing in the papers.
Are you sure you have the correct equipment. I live in Raheny and can pick it up on rabbit ears, when even analogue is very difficult to pick up. It's coming from Three Rock so you should deffo be able pick it up in Terenure.
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
Drico
Knowledgeable

Post by Drico »

I have been using the new Terrestrial service for a couple of months now. There is a MP4 TV tuner built into my TV, so no need for a set top box.
The best bit is that RTE2 is being broadcasted in 1080i, so all the rugby they show is in HD.

The downside is that you get to see McGurk, Hook etc in HD. :(
Oh, I'm crazy? Those f**kin' hobbit movies were boring as hell. All it was, was a bunch of people walking, three movies of people walking to a f**king volcano.
akared
Knowledgeable

Post by akared »

TerenureJim wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
I can pick it up with perfect reception using a small tv aerial in Park West. I'm using the Play TV tuner for PS3.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Drico wrote:I have been using the new Terrestrial service for a couple of months now. There is a MP4 TV tuner built into my TV, so no need for a set top box.
The best bit is that RTE2 is being broadcasted in 1080i, so all the rugby they show is in HD.

Don't think they record them in HD though. They just broadcast in it. Mr Cahill can probably confirm/deny
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

brian_c wrote:
TerenureJim wrote: Where exactly have they been broadcasting, Nutley Lane? I'm in Terenure, so it's not quite the sticks, have all the mod cons re receivers etc. but haven't picked up anything despite my best efforts whenever I heard mention of testing in the papers.
Are you sure you have the correct equipment. I live in Raheny and can pick it up on rabbit ears, when even analogue is very difficult to pick up. It's coming from Three Rock so you should deffo be able pick it up in Terenure.
Right so will get the rabbit ears out again this evening for another try. Like I say I thought I should be able to pick it up easy enough but never "lucked out" anytime I tried of late, that said since I got in Sky I'm really only on RTÉ for the news and rugby. Although I flicked onto RTÉ 2 recently enough and caught a bit of Wagon's Den, my eyes are still in pain.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:
Drico wrote:I have been using the new Terrestrial service for a couple of months now. There is a MP4 TV tuner built into my TV, so no need for a set top box.

Don't think they record them in HD though. They just broadcast in it. Mr Cahill can probably confirm/deny
its currently upscaled SD pictures. Its appreciably better than SD, but also not as good as native HD. RTE tendered for HD playout equipment last summer, when this is up and running it will allow the latter.

RTE 2 HD for rugby is certainly the best available picture for the Magners League.
I have Bumbleflex
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dave not sure if this is a sky/UPC thing but how come the RTÉ digital project hasn't come up on any of the platforms i.e. the new channels RTÉ 2 HD and RTÉ News Now or are they there and I just haven't seen them?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:Dave not sure if this is a sky/UPC thing but how come the RTÉ digital project hasn't come up on any of the platforms i.e. the new channels RTÉ 2 HD and RTÉ News Now or are they there and I just haven't seen them?
RTE HD is dvb-t only. It is not available through any other platform. RTE News Now is only available through dvb-t and online. They will be maintaining this exclusivity for the foreseeable future as a USP of the platform
I have Bumbleflex