Techy advice needed

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Techy advice needed

Post by Dave Cahill »

Your initial assessment was right, but uninstalling itunes on windows is a bit more complex than people think. First of all, make sure you don't delete your music, movies and apps - if needed, copy them to a usb drive or something.

then...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5376
I have Bumbleflex
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

TerenureJim wrote:Was recently running an update on iTunes which crashed mid update due I believe to poor internet connection, update failed and was unable to restart so have tried to repair/reinstall but to no avail. Continually getting the following error message:

Runtime Error

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
Please contact the applications support team for more information.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Any ideas where I might be going wrong? I'm running on windows vista os. Thought a repair and then failing that a reinstall would fix it but no joy.
This happened to me a few weeks ago. I was prompted to download a new version of iTunes, did so and like you crashed mid way through update. Kept getting the same error message as you. Checked the various message boards and even Microsoft's forum, they all pointed to that the "Runtime Library file" may have been corrupted. Found a lot of walk throughs on these message boards. But none fixed the problem. I am not very tech savvy so that may have been half the problem with not fixing the error. I ended up calling the Microsoft help desk when their "Level 2 engineer" took almost 4 hours to fix the problem. No issues since by did cost me some cash to fix the problem. BTW I am running Windows 7 os.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

John23 wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Was recently running an update on iTunes which crashed mid update due I believe to poor internet connection, update failed and was unable to restart so have tried to repair/reinstall but to no avail. Continually getting the following error message:

Runtime Error

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
Please contact the applications support team for more information.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Any ideas where I might be going wrong? I'm running on windows vista os. Thought a repair and then failing that a reinstall would fix it but no joy.
This happened to me a few weeks ago. I was prompted to download a new version of iTunes, did so and like you crashed mid way through update. Kept getting the same error message as you. Checked the various message boards and even Microsoft's forum, they all pointed to that the "Runtime Library file" may have been corrupted. Found a lot of walk throughs on these message boards. But none fixed the problem. I am not very tech savvy so that may have been half the problem with not fixing the error. I ended up calling the Microsoft help desk when their "Level 2 engineer" took almost 4 hours to fix the problem. No issues since by did cost me some cash to fix the problem. BTW I am running Windows 7 os.
Hmm now that is a worry, I was thinking of dropping it into LaptopLab in Donnybrook to get them to check it out but going to try Dave's fix above to see if I've any joy (BTW thanks for the link Dave, gent as always) as don't want to spend any unnecessary cash.

All my music is nice and safe and backed up but I'm really hoping I haven't lost my playlists, it might sound a bit stupid but I'm quite into my music and enjoy putting a lot of thought into those lists. Have about 5 years of them built up with many of them related to special holidays, events, drives etc. Will not be a happy camper if they're gone (although do have them on unsynced ipod/iphone/ipad to recreate but that'll take days!)

Maybe this is one for the rant thread but I hate software updates where I have a program that's working perfectly does the job I need and I have no quibbles why the f do I need to change it pi55 off Apple, Microsoft, Java, MaCaffee etc. etc. etc.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

You can export the playlist in a variety of formats from your iPod to your desktop computer, then when you have iTunes up and running again you can reimport them to your iTunes library
I have Bumbleflex
MarkyDeSad
Knowledgeable

Post by MarkyDeSad »

Using a work laptop, Windows 7 Home, haven't needed anything off it since Christmas, though I have regularly checked emails etc (mozilla thunderbird) on it, and that was fine.
Went to get a document from it today and a box came up telling me it had been changed or moved. Checked files, all pictures, documents etc folders empty. If I put a file name into the search box in the start menu it finds the file but when I click on it I get the box saying it is changed or moved.
I have tried system restore from a few different angles but nothing has turned up, have checked properties and hidden files but nothing.
Any helpful suggestions before I bring it to a repair bloke welcome. :|
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

MarkyDeSad wrote:Using a work laptop, Windows 7 Home, haven't needed anything off it since Christmas, though I have regularly checked emails etc (mozilla thunderbird) on it, and that was fine.
Went to get a document from it today and a box came up telling me it had been changed or moved. Checked files, all pictures, documents etc folders empty. If I put a file name into the search box in the start menu it finds the file but when I click on it I get the box saying it is changed or moved.
I have tried system restore from a few different angles but nothing has turned up, have checked properties and hidden files but nothing.
An obvious one - Have you tried "unhiding" the relevant files and folders? Looked in the recycle bin?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
MarkyDeSad
Knowledgeable

Post by MarkyDeSad »

Thanks Oldschool, yes, tried unhiding and the recycle bin but nothing turned up. Currently running Recuva on the whole compute, keeping my fingers crossed.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

MarkyDeSad wrote:Using a work laptop, Windows 7 Home, haven't needed anything off it since Christmas, though I have regularly checked emails etc (mozilla thunderbird) on it, and that was fine.
Possibly silly question but did you start the document on the laptop or was it an email attachment that you opened and worked on?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
MarkyDeSad
Knowledgeable

Post by MarkyDeSad »

Sorry for the slow reply Xanthippe, I was away :D

I went to My Documents and it said Folder Empty and ditto with pctures, vids, everything!

Then I ran Recuvva and it recuvvad 860,000 files and asked me to tick the ones I wanted to keep, a few years work there I reckoned!

Then I went on hols and today I left it in to ComputersRus in Dundrum.

Hope it comes back all shiny and smelling of roses and may I take this opportunity to remind all the boys and girls of the importance of backing stuff up! :oops:
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

MarkyDeSad wrote:Sorry for the slow reply Xanthippe, I was away :D

I went to My Documents and it said Folder Empty and ditto with pctures, vids, everything!

Then I ran Recuvva and it recuvvad 860,000 files and asked me to tick the ones I wanted to keep, a few years work there I reckoned!

Then I went on hols and today I left it in to ComputersRus in Dundrum.

Hope it comes back all shiny and smelling of roses and may I take this opportunity to remind all the boys and girls of the importance of backing stuff up! :oops:
Hope it works out for you - btw, JohnG could probably have offered the same services as ComputersRus :wink:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
MarkyDeSad
Knowledgeable

Post by MarkyDeSad »

I have a Sony Xperia tipo phone and I sometimes receive a persons contact details by SMS in the following format <<another.vcf>>. I just call back and ask for a phone number , email etc.
I downloaded Contacts VCF - Android Apps on Google Play but still nothing wonderful happens.
Internet interrogation hasn't produced any straightforward answer.
How do I open these mofos?
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

I need to create a layout for a Pull Up Poster. Any recommendations for handy and preferably free apps out there to use?
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

I am looking to do some sort of course in Photoshop over the summer (and it'd be fantastic if Illustrator came as part of the package, but Photoshop is my main concern). I have no experience of the various companies offering these courses. Would anyone be able to recommend one over another?
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

IanD wrote:I need to create a layout for a Pull Up Poster. Any recommendations for handy and preferably free apps out there to use?
Nope, 'fraid not. There are plenty of free powerful graphics tools (Gimp is one such example), but I can't think of any that'll do the dirty work for you. For that you'll need to Google some templates. Vistaprint have downloadable templates for sizing, if that helps. Other than that, you'll be looking for templates (unless you're a graphics person).
Lamb of BOD wrote:I am looking to do some sort of course in Photoshop over the summer (and it'd be fantastic if Illustrator came as part of the package, but Photoshop is my main concern). I have no experience of the various companies offering these courses. Would anyone be able to recommend one over another?
Different tools for different purposes. An easy to way to explain the difference is that Illustrator is for vector graphics (a lot of logo/branding is done in vector graphics as it resizes easily/well). Photoshop is more a general workhorse. It's used alot in web design and some publishing (fixed format; print brochures and the like). So it depends on your end-goal really. If it's to work in a place designing websites / brochures / calendars, then I'd recommend Photoshop. If it's to work in concept design stuff, then Illustrator. Either way, it'd be nice to have a working knowledge of both (as there's a decent bit of overlap), but you could do that on your own time, and there are plenty of shared concepts between the two.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Thanks for that, Meinster. Unfortunately it looks like I will need to do a course in each!

Would anyone have a recommendation as to a 'good course' on the market? I think I;ll start with Photoshop
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

meinster wrote:
IanD wrote:I need to create a layout for a Pull Up Poster. Any recommendations for handy and preferably free apps out there to use?
Nope, 'fraid not. There are plenty of free powerful graphics tools (Gimp is one such example), but I can't think of any that'll do the dirty work for you. For that you'll need to Google some templates. Vistaprint have downloadable templates for sizing, if that helps. Other than that, you'll be looking for templates (unless you're a graphics person).
That is perfect for what I want. Cheers Meinster.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Lamb of BOD wrote:Would anyone have a recommendation as to a 'good course' on the market? I think I;ll start with Photoshop
Nope, sorry. I'm not the guy to ask on that score. Hopefully some graphics guy/gal will reply to that one.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
DJRYAN

Post by DJRYAN »

I am looking to get a tablet (no very little about these) for my 8yr old. She will be using it for games, movies and kindle app etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Does anyone know of a browser pop-up called Ads by OffersWizard and more importantly how to stop it infecting every browser on my computer? I've looked for any application on my computer and in the browser settings but can't see how to disable it. Please help. It starts up every page I open and is driving me insane.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

domhnallj wrote:Does anyone know of a browser pop-up called Ads by OffersWizard and more importantly how to stop it infecting every browser on my computer? I've looked for any application on my computer and in the browser settings but can't see how to disable it. Please help. It starts up every page I open and is driving me insane.
Here are a couple of guides to removing it....

http://www.fixyourbrowser.com/removal-i ... pup-virus/

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/offerswizard-removal/

It looks like it installs itself as a file called "Network System Driver" which gives a big warning when you go to uninstall - essentially it is hiding as a system file.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you