for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Techy advice needed

Post by nelly the elephant »

meinster wrote:
nelly the elephant wrote:my "Atheros AR5B93 Wireless network adapter"
Could be a variety of different things (including just being knocked out of its socket, etc..

However, I'd make sure you haven't unintentionally turned the hardware off (either a dedicated switch, a keyboard combination, or set in the BIOS; a quick Google suggests either of the latter 2). Then, I'd try re-installing the adaptor's driver (download from eMachines if you don't have the original drivers disc to hand). If that still doesn't work, you can get (pretty much) any USB WiFi adaptor (or bring the laptop for repair .. it might be a simple repair, but probably end up costing more than a USB adaptor anyway. An example (not a recommendation; I've no experience with any) would be something like this, but there are loads of different types.

You could also try either a system restore from your Windows (Google it) back to a previous known-good state if you think it might be the result of recent software installs/Windows updates. Or, indeed, a full system recovery using the eMachines utilities but that might be a bit drastic (and you'll lose data), and would only work if it was a driver/software issue.
Thanks Meinster and JohnG..
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

meinster wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Would you recommend a raspberry PI for someone who is neither a technophile nor technophobe?
For what? As a media centre? Probably not (too much poking, manual installing, and trying to troubleshoot USB chargers, USB leads, and SD Cards all with lots of problems). If you're happy with the instructions on how to install (on the RPi site), then you're more technophile and will find the RPi fine (just make sure you have decent quality parts; lots of "known good" parts listed on their wiki). If the idea of flashing an SD Card makes you wonder did you just read a non-English language, then it's probably not for you.

However, $25* for a media centre that'll play any god damn thing, it's worth learning a bit in the process! *It's probably closer to twice, or even three times, if you factor in keyboard/mouse (that you don't need after install), charger, sd card, case, etc.

For a programming learning experience? Yes, definitely. The hacking required to get it going is all part of the learning. Maybe buy the book if if's for a complete newbie.

Oooh, tempted. Running out of room under the telly though.

TerenureJim wrote:Does anyone have one of these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Hub-Media- ... 64&sr=1-19

....was going to buy a Seagate version, I mentioned it earlier in the thread but can't seem to find it online now and am looking for an alternate
I have one of these

http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/OPlay_HDPR1/

Have my media drives hooked up to my server, and this streams from them (this model is ethernet only, but you can get wireless also). Plays virtually everything, supports full HD and a variety of file systems if you want to hook the drives to it directly
I have Bumbleflex
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

fourthirtythree wrote:I wouldn't put it past that control freak to have climbed out to start blazing people around after death.
He's already put a pox on my phone's WiFi anyway (for dissing the aTV, no doubt).
Peg Leg wrote:The price is hard to ignore, im sure i have a few mice and keyboards lying about the place and i think the case is only about 9 quid!
Aye, but I bet you'll find they all draw too much power (the Pi can't supply much power). USB is a bit iffy in general on the Pi (mainly because of the low power). If you have a powered USB hub (i.e. it has its own mains power supply), then your life will become a lot easier.
Peg Leg wrote:The bro is a programmer so i shouldnt be stuck, but id hate to pick it up knowing i couldnt set it up myself!
Ah, maybe I was harsh .. if you know your way around a 'puter, you'll be fine. It's all well documented at this stage. I'm slightly influenced by having to get multimeters out to check voltages and having to custom-compile kernels as being seen as the norm in the first few weeks after it came out first. Thankfully, there's a lot more documentation (and less hassle) nowadays. A great community too. Obviously, I'll help any way I can if you get stuck.
Peg Leg wrote:As an aside the case for is is run off a 3d printer, are there any 3d printers available for public use in Ireland? Seems to be lots of 3d design software out there foc!
There's a couple of services popping up. A few design houses were offering 3d printing unofficially (because they got a new toy in the office, basically), but there's some more official services coming online now. Not cheap though. Probably still cheaper import (unless it's very fragile and has expensive shipping). As for a Pi case, you'll get them* for around €3 delivered from eBay. You won't get them printed for much less than that anywhere! *look for the Adafruit case (open source design) clones.
Dave Cahill wrote:Oooh, tempted. Running out of room under the telly though.
The Pi is tiny. Jaysusin' tiny, like. Footprint is credit card size, and height is the height of a USB socket! I'd be more worried about running out of HDMI ports! XBMC on Raspberry Pi is great for playing most media types, though the more open-format dedicated devices (like the WD Live) would still probably beat it. You can get MPEG2 playback (native/hardware-based) for an extra couple of euro (licence fee) if you want to play DVD rips / ISOs on the Pi (h264 is hardware decoded out of the box). Not sure it's worth getting if you already have a decent media player, mind (which isn't an aTV!).
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

meinster wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:As an aside the case for is is run off a 3d printer, are there any 3d printers available for public use in Ireland? Seems to be lots of 3d design software out there foc!
There's a couple of services popping up. A few design houses were offering 3d printing unofficially (because they got a new toy in the office, basically), but there's some more official services coming online now. Not cheap though. Probably still cheaper import (unless it's very fragile and has expensive shipping). As for a Pi case, you'll get them* for around €3 delivered from eBay. You won't get them printed for much less than that anywhere! *look for the Adafruit case (open source design) clones.
If I was to print my own case for the Pi it would be to just add fixing wings/holes to keep it secured rather than being flung around by the HDMI socket!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I'm getting a pi soon I think. If you need to mod the case may I suggest getting some Sugru? It's absolutely the bomb. I love the stuff and have modded a bunch of things around the house. And fixed a light back into the car also.

You can use it to attach a case, or to attach a piece of Lego and the attach some Lego to a surface so you have a removable mount.

https://sugru.com/ you can buy it in O'Sullivans graphics on Camden St. Some design shop on George's st, the science gallery or online. It's not actually Irish made but it undoubtedly the coolest thing to come out of Ireland in recent memory. You will love it.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

fourthirtythree wrote:may I suggest getting some Sugru? It's absolutely the bomb.
+1 on that score
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Might be the wrong thread but trying to do some research into buying a tablet. I find my laptop too cumbersome and the battery life means i need to bring a charger with me everytime i leave my gaf. Need it for reading documents and general research. No need for bells and whistles really (editing suites, cameras etc), though a stylus option would be good (are they all compatible with some kind of stylus?). I want it to act as an A4 pad and a book essentially.

Any websites you know that offer good comparisons? Or even your own experiences and knowledge would be appreciated.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

My GF, my Da, my Brother, my Niece and 2 Nephews have a Nexus 7 each and my Mum has the Nexus 10. All love them. Great if you have an android phone as once you log in to Google all your apps, emails, contacts etc sync up.

At Christmas we found them cheaper from Google in the UK - the bother ordered them and were shipped via Parcel Motel. Worked out in or around €200 after conversion for the Nexus 7.

Ohh should say Niece is 7 Nephew one is 4 and a half and Nephew two is 3.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Plus one on the Nexus 7 front. My view is 7inches is the optimum size for a tablet.
Anyone But New Zealand
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Thanks guys, I plan on using it for studying so I think the 7" will be too small. Now to actually locate a Nexus . . . and the sponds
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

tate wrote:Thanks guys, I plan on using it for studying so I think the 7" will be too small. Now to actually locate a Nexus . . . and the sponds
Have a look a the 7 inch. I was a bit sceptical but the screen is great. My GF uses it for reading and work on the bus. The family got the 7'' Nexei and we waited 3 weeks for my Mums 10'' - it seems massive now to me.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

The HP Slate 7 is due out soon and should be well worth a look. It's selling for $169 in the US so should be around the €150 mark when released here.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/slate-7/tablet.html
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

How does one remove the password protection from an Microsoft Excel spreadsheet? Don't worry I'm not trying anything dodgy. Just trying to save it in a different format to run it through mapping software.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Sionnach
Bookworm

Post by Sionnach »

John23 wrote:How does one remove the password protection from an Microsoft Excel spreadsheet? Don't worry I'm not trying anything dodgy. Just trying to save it in a different format to run it through mapping software.
File - Save As, then in the general options choose a password (or none at all). Exact procedure depends on your version of Excel.

Assuming this is file-level password protection. If its just a few cells on the sheet, it's a little different.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Sionnach wrote:
John23 wrote:How does one remove the password protection from an Microsoft Excel spreadsheet? Don't worry I'm not trying anything dodgy. Just trying to save it in a different format to run it through mapping software.
File - Save As, then in the general options choose a password (or none at all). Exact procedure depends on your version of Excel.

Assuming this is file-level password protection. If its just a few cells on the sheet, it's a little different.
Thanks
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
MarkyDeSad
Knowledgeable

Post by MarkyDeSad »

AVG popping up a detection window every couple of minutes with Adware Generic5.AAFF and Adware Generic5.AAFE . Result: Infected
It seems to be unable to remove them. I have started a full AVG computer scan.
A quick google search suggests this is a trojan virus of some sort but I don't trust anything I read on the net, this forum excepted of course.
Anyone know what I should actually be doing?
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

What you should actually be doing is resolving the problem, anyway. How you go about that depends on your ability/geekness. Options:

1) http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/webthreats ... jan-horse/
2) Try AVG in safe mode (not for the faint-hearted, but they do have docs on how to do it).
3) Try a different virus/malware scanner to see if you have better luck. Use a recognised name (as there are plenty of bogus offerings out there as well!).
4) Bring it to a PC guy (prices range from 50-100 ish)
5) Or, wipe the entire thing and re-install Windows (make sure you have backups of what you need!)

Hopefully step 1) will get you motorin'
MarkyDeSad
Knowledgeable

Post by MarkyDeSad »

meinster wrote:What you should actually be doing is resolving the problem, anyway. How you go about that depends on your ability/geekness. Options:

2) Try AVG in safe mode (not for the faint-hearted, but they do have docs on how to do it).
3) Try a different virus/malware scanner to see if you have better luck. Use a recognised name (as there are plenty of bogus offerings out there as well!).
5) Or, wipe the entire thing and re-install Windows (make sure you have backups of what you need!)

Thanks Meinster, I was running a full AVG computer scan when I posted the query and then called the AVG helpline but as I was talking to them the AVG icon disappeared from the sccreen and then the computer froze completely, all attempts to reboot it failed. Either a few things happened simoultaneously by coincidence or this is a fairly potent virus.
Option 4 is what I chose.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

MarkyDeSad wrote:
meinster wrote:What you should actually be doing is resolving the problem, anyway. How you go about that depends on your ability/geekness. Options:

Thanks Meinster, I was running a full AVG computer scan when I posted the query and then called the AVG helpline but as I was talking to them the AVG icon disappeared from the sccreen and then the computer froze completely, all attempts to reboot it failed. Either a few things happened simoultaneously by coincidence or this is a fairly potent virus.
Option 4 is what I chose.
JohnG of this parish is your man for the pc repairs
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
MarkyDeSad
Knowledgeable

Post by MarkyDeSad »

Thanks Peg Leg, will know for again.