Techy advice needed

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Re: Techy advice needed

Post by the spoofer »

This is one for TV techs rather than you IT geeks.

I have a Sky + box in my attic with feeds going to three rooms,Livingroom, Bedroom and Study. I have an old Sky box and was wondering if I put the feed from the Sky+ box in the study through the Sky box would I be able to watch some channells in the study while the kids are on the feed from the Sky + box in the living room.

Please keep this simple as I am a technical idiot, not technically an idiot.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

the spoofer wrote:This is one for TV techs rather than you IT geeks.

I have a Sky + box in my attic with feeds going to three rooms,Livingroom, Bedroom and Study. I have an old Sky box and was wondering if I put the feed from the Sky+ box in the study through the Sky box would I be able to watch some channells in the study while the kids are on the feed from the Sky + box in the living room.

Please keep this simple as I am a technical idiot, not technically an idiot.
If there was a spare cable coming from the dish into your attic, you could use it to supply the skybox in your study (this would be a semi permanent arrangement though).

Dish-------------------------------------------Sky Plus----------------------------------------Bedroom
Dish-------------------------------------------Sky Plus----------------------------------------Living Room
Dish-------------------------------------------Cable Joint------------------------------------Sky Box--Study
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

"feeds" needs clarification.

A Sky box (any Sky, Sky+, etc.) needs 1 or 2 "feeds" from the satellite dish to work (2 feeds required for recording on a + box).

The outputs of the Sky box, the "feeds" to the 3 rooms in your case, only display what the box currently shows.

So, you have 3 options to use the second Sky box (well, only 1 really):

1) You can put the Sky box up beside the Sky+ box, and run a new cable (if you don't already have a spare cable) from the dish to the Sky box (only 1 required, because it's not a "+" box). You can then loop the aerial "feed" output from that Sky box in to the RF in of your Sky+ box. That Sky box can then be tuned in alongside the Sky+ box in all rooms (or just the rooms you want it in). You can use the same Sky Eye setup (just move the Sky Eye transmitter in the attic so that it points to both boxes adequately). The gotchas are:
a) Make sure the RF Output of the Sky box goes in to the RF Input of the Sky+ box (whose RF Output goes on to "feed" the rooms, or in to an amp if you have one). Not the other way around. The reason being that you're using Sky Eye which gets its power from your Sky+ box.
b) You'll need another cable to the satellite dish, if you don't already have a spare "feed" to the dish. This may involve having to change the LNB (jutty out thing on the dish) if it doesn't have a spare port. Most recent Sky+ installs use LNBs with 4 outputs, so hopefully you'll be OK.
c) You'll need two remotes in the room; a Sky+ remote and a Sky remote (both work fine over your existing Sky Eye)
d) You'll need to set up the Sky box to output on a different UHF channel (so it doesn't clash with the Sky+ box). Involves going through the Installer menu and selecting a channel; easy enough, but do it before you put it up in the attic (i.e. connect the sky box, without a dish "feed", to a TV downstairs first, and change the UHF output channel. Then you can put it up in the attic and connect to dish).

2) The other option is to still run a cable from the Sky dish to the attic. Disconnect the "feed" to the room you want the Sky box for, and connect that feed to your new cable to the dish. Now, you can plug that "feed" in the room in to the Sky box, and leave the Sky box in the room. However, that removes the ability to watch the Sky+, and also means the Sky box is only viewable in that room.

3) If running a new cable to the dish (so you have 3 "feeds" from the dish to the attic) isn't an option, you can use switching gear to share 1 of the 2 existing feeds with both boxes. Not for the faint-hearted.

So, best option is 1), but does involve a new feed to the dish (and potentially a new quad LNB which should be no more than ~20 quid). If you get an independent installer out to do it, it shouldn't be more than a standard install charge (~€100). Another option is to get Sky to install Multiroom (requires a landline phoneline up to the attic then). They'll subsidise the box and install, but you'll be stuck with a €15/month Multiroom subscription for a minimum of a year.

I'd go the DIY route (no extra sub charges). If you're not DIY enthused, I'd look for an independent installer (i.e. they install Sky, but you're not going through Sky to get them to call out; you're just looking them up in the phonebook, or whatever).

So your satellite feeds setup would be:
Sat Dish  -> Feed 1       -> Sky +
          -> Feed 2       -> Sky+
          -> (new) Feed 3 -> Sky
Then your internal "feeds" would be (assuming you have a distribution amp of some sort):
Sky RF Out -> Sky+RF In
Sky+ RF Out -> Sky Eye Receiver -> Distribution Amp -> on to "feed" the rooms.
So, whilst the cable from the dish to the attic and from the attic to the rooms might look similar, they serve very different functions. You can't just stick a Sky box on the end of one of 'em in the room.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Thanks lads, an installer it is then!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

meinster wrote:"feeds" needs clarification.
A Sky box (any Sky, Sky+, etc.) needs 1 or 2 "feeds" from the satellite dish to work (2 feeds required for recording on a + box).
The outputs of the Sky box, the "feeds" to the 3 rooms in your case, only display what the box currently shows.
So, you have 3 options to use the second Sky box (well, only 1 really):

1) You can put the Sky box up beside the Sky+ box, and run a new cable (if you don't already have a spare cable) from the dish to the Sky box (only 1 required, because it's not a "+" box). You can then loop the aerial "feed" output from that Sky box in to the RF in of your Sky+ box. That Sky box can then be tuned in alongside the Sky+ box in all rooms (or just the rooms you want it in). You can use the same Sky Eye setup (just move the Sky Eye transmitter in the attic so that it points to both boxes adequately). The gotchas are:
a) Make sure the RF Output of the Sky box goes in to the RF Input of the Sky+ box (whose RF Output goes on to "feed" the rooms, or in to an amp if you have one). Not the other way around. The reason being that you're using Sky Eye which gets its power from your Sky+ box.
b) You'll need another cable to the satellite dish, if you don't already have a spare "feed" to the dish. This may involve having to change the LNB (jutty out thing on the dish) if it doesn't have a spare port. Most recent Sky+ installs use LNBs with 4 outputs, so hopefully you'll be OK.
c) You'll need two remotes in the room; a Sky+ remote and a Sky remote (both work fine over your existing Sky Eye)
d) You'll need to set up the Sky box to output on a different UHF channel (so it doesn't clash with the Sky+ box). Involves going through the Installer menu and selecting a channel; easy enough, but do it before you put it up in the attic (i.e. connect the sky box, without a dish "feed", to a TV downstairs first, and change the UHF output channel. Then you can put it up in the attic and connect to dish).
2) The other option is to still run a cable from the Sky dish to the attic. Disconnect the "feed" to the room you want the Sky box for, and connect that feed to your new cable to the dish. Now, you can plug that "feed" in the room in to the Sky box, and leave the Sky box in the room. However, that removes the ability to watch the Sky+, and also means the Sky box is only viewable in that room.
3) If running a new cable to the dish (so you have 3 "feeds" from the dish to the attic) isn't an option, you can use switching gear to share 1 of the 2 existing feeds with both boxes. Not for the faint-hearted.
So, best option is 1), but does involve a new feed to the dish (and potentially a new quad LNB which should be no more than ~20 quid). If you get an independent installer out to do it, it shouldn't be more than a standard install charge (~€100). Another option is to get Sky to install Multiroom (requires a landline phoneline up to the attic then). They'll subsidise the box and install, but you'll be stuck with a €15/month Multiroom subscription for a minimum of a year.
I'd go the DIY route (no extra sub charges). If you're not DIY enthused, I'd look for an independent installer (i.e. they install Sky, but you're not going through Sky to get them to call out; you're just looking them up in the phonebook, or whatever).
So your satellite feeds setup would be:
Sat Dish  -> Feed 1       -> Sky +
          -> Feed 2       -> Sky+
          -> (new) Feed 3 -> Sky

Then your internal "feeds" would be (assuming you have a distribution amp of some sort):
Sky RF Out -> Sky+RF In
Sky+ RF Out -> Sky Eye Receiver -> Distribution Amp -> on to "feed" the rooms.

So, whilst the cable from the dish to the attic and from the attic to the rooms might look similar, they serve very different functions. You can't just stick a Sky box on the end of one of 'em in the room
Cool, I did not know that!
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Does anyone have one of these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Hub-Media- ... 64&sr=1-19

....was going to buy a Seagate version, I mentioned it earlier in the thread but can't seem to find it online now and am looking for an alternate
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

I don't have that exact one, have this http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Live-Stream- ... 648&sr=1-3

I think it's pretty much the same as yours apart from having the built in storage, I just stream media to it or occasionally stick a usb key in. If you already have a portable HD with your content on it you can just plug that in. As far as play back goes it hasn't failed to play anything I've thrown at it, and the user interface is handy to use. It'll show you boxart and metadata for tv episodes etc if you have files.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

waterboy wrote:As far as play back goes it hasn't failed to play anything I've thrown at it, and the user interface is handy to use.
I had your one TJ, for a single night. I was just testing it really. My experience was similar to Waterboy's. DivX/XVid/MKV/AVI (MS) all played without a hitch. Quiet box, basic UI but does everything you generally need (just, that it won't win any design awards!). Didn't try the apps side of it, just the streaming from network (wired) and internal drive. Would have purchased it but for getting a present of an aTV.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

meinster wrote:
waterboy wrote:As far as play back goes it hasn't failed to play anything I've thrown at it, and the user interface is handy to use.
I had your one TJ, for a single night. I was just testing it really. My experience was similar to Waterboy's. DivX/XVid/MKV/AVI (MS) all played without a hitch. Quiet box, basic UI but does everything you generally need (just, that it won't win any design awards!). Didn't try the apps side of it, just the streaming from network (wired) and internal drive. Would have purchased it but for getting a present of an aTV.
How did the 2 bolded bits get on? :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

aTV playing 'em all just fine! I was running XMBC on a Raspberry PI for that.. but now I use Air Video (an iOS app and Mac/Win/Lin server). Slight delay (2-3 seconds) while the server buffers up conversion for non-native formats, but that's all. No HD stutters, all good! Of course for the less nerdy, the aTV is very, very limited.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

My laptop has stoped working in wireless mode....everyone elses phone/laptops in thehouse all work ok. After checking Network Diagnostics it's telling me my "Atheros AR5B93 Wireless network adapter" is experiencing driver or hardware related issues. Is this a piece of hardware on my laptop that I need to buy or is it a software issue? If i've to buy it where do you get these things? Laptop is an emachines E640 with Windows.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

nelly the elephant wrote:my "Atheros AR5B93 Wireless network adapter"
Could be a variety of different things (including just being knocked out of its socket, etc..

However, I'd make sure you haven't unintentionally turned the hardware off (either a dedicated switch, a keyboard combination, or set in the BIOS; a quick Google suggests either of the latter 2). Then, I'd try re-installing the adaptor's driver (download from eMachines if you don't have the original drivers disc to hand). If that still doesn't work, you can get (pretty much) any USB WiFi adaptor (or bring the laptop for repair .. it might be a simple repair, but probably end up costing more than a USB adaptor anyway. An example (not a recommendation; I've no experience with any) would be something like this, but there are loads of different types.

You could also try either a system restore from your Windows (Google it) back to a previous known-good state if you think it might be the result of recent software installs/Windows updates. Or, indeed, a full system recovery using the eMachines utilities but that might be a bit drastic (and you'll lose data), and would only work if it was a driver/software issue.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

nelly the elephant wrote:My laptop has stoped working in wireless mode....everyone elses phone/laptops in thehouse all work ok. After checking Network Diagnostics it's telling me my "Atheros AR5B93 Wireless network adapter" is experiencing driver or hardware related issues. Is this a piece of hardware on my laptop that I need to buy or is it a software issue? If i've to buy it where do you get these things? Laptop is an emachines E640 with Windows.
Will have a look at it for you if you give us a shout. Dodgey Damo has my number. Or PM me.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

meinster wrote:aTV playing 'em all just fine! I was running XMBC on a Raspberry PI for that.. but now I use Air Video (an iOS app and Mac/Win/Lin server). Slight delay (2-3 seconds) while the server buffers up conversion for non-native formats, but that's all. No HD stutters, all good! Of course for the less nerdy, the aTV is very, very limited.
Would you recommend a raspberry PI for someone who is neither a technophile nor technophobe?
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

meinster wrote:aTV playing 'em all just fine! I was running XMBC on a Raspberry PI for that.. but now I use Air Video (an iOS app and Mac/Win/Lin server). Slight delay (2-3 seconds) while the server buffers up conversion for non-native formats, but that's all. No HD stutters, all good! Of course for the less nerdy, the aTV is very, very limited.
Well done you! Got one over on the man. Best of both worlds. :)
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Peg Leg wrote:Would you recommend a raspberry PI for someone who is neither a technophile nor technophobe?
For what? As a media centre? Probably not (too much poking, manual installing, and trying to troubleshoot USB chargers, USB leads, and SD Cards all with lots of problems). If you're happy with the instructions on how to install (on the RPi site), then you're more technophile and will find the RPi fine (just make sure you have decent quality parts; lots of "known good" parts listed on their wiki). If the idea of flashing an SD Card makes you wonder did you just read a non-English language, then it's probably not for you.

However, $25* for a media centre that'll play any god damn thing, it's worth learning a bit in the process! *It's probably closer to twice, or even three times, if you factor in keyboard/mouse (that you don't need after install), charger, sd card, case, etc.

For a programming learning experience? Yes, definitely. The hacking required to get it going is all part of the learning. Maybe buy the book if if's for a complete newbie.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

johng wrote:Well done you! Got one over on the man.
Ah, but he made me buy an iPhone, see. So, he's smiling from the graveside.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

meinster wrote:
That's fine. I'm sure you use it responsibly. :)
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

meinster wrote:
The graveside? I wouldn't put it past that control freak to have climbed out to start blazing people around after death.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

meinster wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Would you recommend a raspberry PI for someone who is neither a technophile nor technophobe?
For what? As a media centre? Probably not (too much poking, manual installing, and trying to troubleshoot USB chargers, USB leads, and SD Cards all with lots of problems). If you're happy with the instructions on how to install (on the RPi site), then you're more technophile and will find the RPi fine (just make sure you have decent quality parts; lots of "known good" parts listed on their wiki). If the idea of flashing an SD Card makes you wonder did you just read a non-English language, then it's probably not for you.

However, $25* for a media centre that'll play any god damn thing, it's worth learning a bit in the process! *It's probably closer to twice, or even three times, if you factor in keyboard/mouse (that you don't need after install), charger, sd card, case, etc.

For a programming learning experience? Yes, definitely. The hacking required to get it going is all part of the learning. Maybe buy the book if if's for a complete newbie.
The price is hard to ignore, im sure i have a few mice and keyboards lying about the place and i think the case is only about 9 quid!
The bro is a programmer so i shouldnt be stuck, but id hate to pick it up knowing i couldnt set it up myself!

As an aside the case for is is run off a 3d printer, are there any 3d printers available for public use in Ireland? Seems to be lots of 3d design software out there foc!

Thanks for the info as always Meinster.
Daniel Sullivan