Techy advice needed

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Soundgav2
Learner

Re: Techy advice needed

Post by Soundgav2 »

Thinking of buying a tv from pixmania.ie.

Has anyone bought something this big (price and dimensions) from them before? Am I on safe ground?

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11885527/a ... pix-review
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

My fella bought a similar size Samsung TV from them around Christmas two years ago. No hassle with it and delivery was prompt, even at a busy time if year.

I've bought a camera from them too and found them good.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Soundgav2 wrote:Thinking of buying a tv from pixmania.ie.
Would advise against them. Mainly because of their well-documented horrific customer service should anything every go wrong.

Also, check that the manufacturer's warranty covers you bringing it to a local repair centre (and not have you send it back to Pixmania). This wasn't the norm a good few years ago (about 5, I'd guess, when I was checking it out, with Pixmania, as it happens). Insured courier to France was just shy of €200! I presume that's not the case any more (and Samsung will let you bring it to an Irish repair centre for warranty repair), but just double check.

But read up on Pixmania on boards.ie (for example), and make your own decision. I'd happily pay a hundred or two more (on a 600-1000 set) to get it locally (like PowerCity) where I could bring it back if needs be. So just factor in the cost of convenience, the risk of having to return, etc., and not just look at the final price.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

I had a bad time with Pixmania trying to get a refund. Actually it was my sister's credit/debit card and she spent weeks sending emails and making phone calls to get the refund.

I wouldn't use them again for this reason.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Looking for advice on hooking up tv to internet. Basic stuff for most of you I am sure but not very techy minded so hence the request.

I have a Samsung LED TV not the most up to date but recent enough but it has to be a wired connection as not Wifi enabled. My wifi box is upstairs in office connected (hard wired) to computer in home office, computer is an Imac and has wifi capability. At my tv point downstairs I have a phone line for sky + box and a wall blank which I think is ther for ethernet wall plate. Question = is it just a simple matter of purchasing a wall plate wiring in and moving my Wifi box downstairs and connecting to tv and allow computer to use wifi instead of being hard wired? Broadband is home broadband from eircom and signal could do with being a bit stronger. Any advice??
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Armchair wrote:Looking for advice on hooking up tv to internet. Basic stuff for most of you I am sure but not very techy minded so hence the request.

I have a Samsung LED TV not the most up to date but recent enough but it has to be a wired connection as not Wifi enabled. My wifi box is upstairs in office connected (hard wired) to computer in home office, computer is an Imac and has wifi capability. At my tv point downstairs I have a phone line for sky + box and a wall blank which I think is ther for ethernet wall plate. Question = is it just a simple matter of purchasing a wall plate wiring in and moving my Wifi box downstairs and connecting to tv and allow computer to use wifi instead of being hard wired? Broadband is home broadband from eircom and signal could do with being a bit stronger. Any advice??
Depends on which (TV or iMac) you value more. If you work from home, and are online a lot, then WiFi is probably going to let you down. Similarly, if you don't use the iMac a whole lot, but stream to the smart TV a good bit, then you'd be inclined to move the "WiFi box".

Best option: Cabled Ethernet.
If the blank socket has ethernet (Cat5 a minimum, CAT6 or better recommended for future-proofing), then that's the way to go. It depends on the modular socket system you use, as to how easy/expensive the socket module (RJ45) will be. If it's a full square blank, that makes it much easier to get (though the exact shape of the socket fitting mightn't exactly match the other sockets there). I.e. are you replacing just one little piece in a twin or triple module socket (1 aerial, 1 phone, 1 ethernet; for example), or are you replacing a single (standard square size) socket. If the latter, that's easily got in B&Q, or any decent electrical wholesalers (most who will sell cash to public). Now, if there's no ethernet cable behind that blank, I don't fancy your chances of being able to retro-fit! If there is, where does it go/where does it terminate? If it's in the attic, then you'll need a corresponding run of ethernet cable down to your office. You can put a cheap network switch (~€20) up in the attic, or you can use a coupler to just connect the two cables (downstairs TV, and home office), if that applies. So, it's all down to the presence of cable.

Next best option: Powerline.
This involves two "plugs" that you plug in to any mains socket; 1 at the TV downstairs, 1 in your home office. Those plugs have a networking/ethernet/RJ45 socket in to which you plugin a standards network cable (RJ45; not a "crossover" cable). So you'd have a short cable between your TV and the powerline "plug" downstairs. Upstairs the powerline plug will be connected with an other short networking cable, to your WiFi box (assuming it has spare ports; if not, you'll need a cheap network switch in to which you'll plug the WiFi Box and the Powerline plug, using standard short network cables). The benefit of powerline is that it uses your standard mains (electricity) wiring in your home, as a wired network. It's nowhere near as reliable as dedicated ethernet cabling, but it's almost always a good bit better than WiFi (in consistency, and in range).

Finally: WiFi Ethernet bridge.
You can use your existing WiFi network (assuming there's decent signal down by your TV). Look for an "ethernet bridge". Apple Aiport Express can act as a bridge (pricey, and I don't know if it requires your WiFi "box" to also be an Apple), but many others do one as well. Your existing WiFi box needs to support this (but most do, even cheap ones), and you'll need decent signal down by the TV (or you'll be in for a lot of pain).

EDIT: Sample equipment (just random links to get you started; not a recommendation, or a price guide!):
+ Powerline adaptors: Dabs Amazon
+ Ethernet bridge: Amazon
+ Cheap network switch: Elara (100Mbps, you'll only need 1Gbps if you have 100Mbps+ broadband and are streaming 1080p to the TV)
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

meinster wrote:
Armchair wrote:Looking for advice on hooking up tv to internet. Basic stuff for most of you I am sure but not very techy minded so hence the request.

Depends on which (TV or iMac) you value more. If you work from home, and are online a lot, then WiFi is probably going to let you down. Similarly, if you don't use the iMac a whole lot, but stream to the smart TV a good bit, then you'd be inclined to move the "WiFi box".

Best option: Cabled Ethernet.
If the blank socket has ethernet (Cat5 a minimum, CAT6 or better recommended for future-proofing), then that's the way to go. It depends on the modular socket system you use, as to how easy/expensive the socket module (RJ45) will be. If it's a full square blank, that makes it much easier to get (though the exact shape of the socket fitting mightn't exactly match the other sockets there). I.e. are you replacing just one little piece in a twin or triple module socket (1 aerial, 1 phone, 1 ethernet; for example), or are you replacing a single (standard square size) socket. If the latter, that's easily got in B&Q, or any decent electrical wholesalers (most who will sell cash to public). Now, if there's no ethernet cable behind that blank, I don't fancy your chances of being able to retro-fit! If there is, where does it go/where does it terminate? If it's in the attic, then you'll need a corresponding run of ethernet cable down to your office. You can put a cheap network switch (~€20) up in the attic, or you can use a coupler to just connect the two cables (downstairs TV, and home office), if that applies. So, it's all down to the presence of cable.

Next best option: Powerline.
This involves two "plugs" that you plug in to any mains socket; 1 at the TV downstairs, 1 in your home office. Those plugs have a networking/ethernet/RJ45 socket in to which you plugin a standards network cable (RJ45; not a "crossover" cable). So you'd have a short cable between your TV and the powerline "plug" downstairs. Upstairs the powerline plug will be connected with an other short networking cable, to your WiFi box (assuming it has spare ports; if not, you'll need a cheap network switch in to which you'll plug the WiFi Box and the Powerline plug, using standard short network cables). The benefit of powerline is that it uses your standard mains (electricity) wiring in your home, as a wired network. It's nowhere near as reliable as dedicated ethernet cabling, but it's almost always a good bit better than WiFi (in consistency, and in range).

Finally: WiFi Ethernet bridge.
You can use your existing WiFi network (assuming there's decent signal down by your TV). Look for an "ethernet bridge". Apple Aiport Express can act as a bridge (pricey, and I don't know if it requires your WiFi "box" to also be an Apple), but many others do one as well. Your existing WiFi box needs to support this (but most do, even cheap ones), and you'll need decent signal down by the TV (or you'll be in for a lot of pain).

EDIT: Sample equipment (just random links to get you started; not a recommendation, or a price guide!):
+ Powerline adaptors: Dabs Amazon
+ Ethernet bridge: Amazon
+ Cheap network switch: Elara (100Mbps, you'll only need 1Gbps if you have 100Mbps+ broadband and are streaming 1080p to the TV)
Brillant! Thanks very much!! It is a full square blank and supposed to have Cat 5 behind it so hopefully it has. Using Imac less and less mainly just to download photos and connect to cloud system at work the odd weekend. I will investigate where cables terminate tonight but hunch is in the attic so I will get a network switch after I confirm

Some one mentioned that if I got Apple TV that I could connect my TV thru wifi to that with out moving wifi box. Is this true? or is that a whole new set of problems?
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Armchair wrote:Some one mentioned that if I got Apple TV that I could connect my TV thru wifi to that with out moving wifi box. Is this true? or is that a whole new set of problems?
Technically true, but probably not in the way you had in mind. Apple TV can use your existing WiFi (again, subject to signal down by the TV), and uses HDMI to connect to your TV. However it doesn't do Ethernet-over-HDMI so that your Smart TV could then use the internet (via HDMI, via AppleTV, via your WiFi). However, the AppleTV does do its own set of SmartTV stuff. It doesn't have RTÉ Player type of apps, but it does have Netflix client, if that's what you'd use on your SmartTV anyway. Also, AppleTV has "AirPlay", which means that many iPhone/iPad apps can play video and stream to your TV (over WiFi). So, for example, I can play content from RTÉ Player on my iPhone and stream it to my TV (which isn't smart) via the AppleTV. I can use AirVideo (an app in the iTunes store) to stream downloaded content of my home server in all sorts of formats (that the AppleTV doesn't natively support), again, thanks to the AppleTV.

So, maybe look at what you'd use from the Samsung SmartTV stuff (most of which is rubbish), and then see if the AppleTV is a simpler solution (>€100, but no messing with cables, networking, etc.).

One final note of warning, if you're using AppleTV over WiFi, make sure you have decent WiFi signal down there. That usually means not using 802.11b (2.5GHz shared with microwaves, baby monitors and noisy cheap electronics; oh, and your neighbours!). If considering AppleTV, make check the WiFi down at the TV, and for the AppleTV to be reasonably useful, you'll probably need an iPhone/iPad.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

meinster wrote:
Armchair wrote:Some one mentioned that if I got Apple TV that I could connect my TV thru wifi to that with out moving wifi box. Is this true? or is that a whole new set of problems?
Technically true, but probably not in the way you had in mind. Apple TV can use your existing WiFi (again, subject to signal down by the TV), and uses HDMI to connect to your TV. However it doesn't do Ethernet-over-HDMI so that your Smart TV could then use the internet (via HDMI, via AppleTV, via your WiFi). However, the AppleTV does do its own set of SmartTV stuff. It doesn't have RTÉ Player type of apps, but it does have Netflix client, if that's what you'd use on your SmartTV anyway. Also, AppleTV has "AirPlay", which means that many iPhone/iPad apps can play video and stream to your TV (over WiFi). So, for example, I can play content from RTÉ Player on my iPhone and stream it to my TV (which isn't smart) via the AppleTV. I can use AirVideo (an app in the iTunes store) to stream downloaded content of my home server in all sorts of formats (that the AppleTV doesn't natively support), again, thanks to the AppleTV.

So, maybe look at what you'd use from the Samsung SmartTV stuff (most of which is rubbish), and then see if the AppleTV is a simpler solution (>€100, but no messing with cables, networking, etc.).

One final note of warning, if you're using AppleTV over WiFi, make sure you have decent WiFi signal down there. That usually means not using 802.11b (2.5GHz shared with microwaves, baby monitors and noisy cheap electronics; oh, and your neighbours!). If considering AppleTV, make check the WiFi down at the TV, and for the AppleTV to be reasonably useful, you'll probably need an iPhone/iPad.
Thanks again meinster!! Might be worth it for me depending on strength of wifi signal. Have been looking up about Apple TV today and seems to be a good fit for what I want to do, pity about RTE and BBc players that would have been the icing on the cake. My Wifi signal is not full at the tv concrete and block house it shows 2 bars working and not the top bar do you think thatwould be strong enough? or is there a way of boosting your wifi signal strength or do you just by a stronger wifi box? Apologies for the repeated questions but goodto talk to some one who knows what they are talking about!
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Armchair wrote:do you think thatwould be strong enough?
Probably not reliable enough for HD streaming.. if it's a consistent 2 bars, then it might do (and would probably be OK for SD streaming). Run a few speedtests from down there, and see if you're getting a consistent 2-5Mb at least. Speedtest.net have an iOS/Android app, if access you've one of those devices.
Armchair wrote:or is there a way of boosting your wifi signal strength or do you just by a stronger wifi box?
You can use WiFi repeaters, but that really depends on what existing WiFi jobby you have now. Apple Airports do this easily, but they're far from the cheapest out there. Most big-brands do equivalents, but some of them only work their own brands. For there to be any point, your existing WiFi box will need to be dual channel (and support the higher 5GHz frequencies, as they are less cluttered), and will need to support being extended (and most decent/recent ones will). Start with the Speedtest app (checking a few times to get an average).

EDIT: I should add that most extenders are quite poor, but that's down to physics, rather than design. The repeater/extender (Amazon) needs to be within range of your existing WiFi, and complex setup are the two biggest pitfalls (common to all). If you could run ethernet cable from your existing WiFi box (or DSL modem), to somewhere not quite as far as the downstairs TV, but closer to it, and then connect a bog standard WiFi access point ("box"!), that'll be more reliable than any extender/repeater.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Averaged 2.48 on speed test ordered apple tv so hopefully it works out? Thanks again for your expertise very much appreciated!
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Armchair wrote:Averaged 2.48 on speed test ordered apple tv so hopefully it works out? Thanks again for your expertise very much appreciated!
Not great speed, but see how the AppleTV goes first, before breaking your current WiFi!
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

If that's download speed change your internet provider immediatly.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Alternative Ulster wrote:If that's download speed change your internet provider immediatly.
Wifi station a good bit away from tv, far side of the house and reception in tv room average. I am in the sticks so not to many choices.

Apple TV working fine and hooked up to Netflix in less than 10 minutes out of the box! House of cards brilliant by the way!

Only problem is AirPlay not working despite seemingly following all instructions. iTunes and photo stream working but not AirPlay
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Armchair wrote:I am in the sticks so not to many choices.
Aye, WiFi speed is usually a poor judge of your internet connection's speed, any way.
Armchair wrote:Apple TV working fine
Good stuff.
Armchair wrote:Only problem is AirPlay not working despite seemingly following all instructions. iTunes and photo stream working but not AirPlay
Can't help you with that one. It's probably some obvious step. I don't remember having to do anything complicated to get it working. Not all apps are AirPlay compatible, and most TV content apps require that the Apple TV is connected to ta HDCP-compatible TV (which the vast majority are, and I'd be very surprised if your Samsung wasn't, no matter how old it is). Make sure the software is at the latest on the aTV, and on your iOS/OSX devices. That's all I can offer on that score, I'm afraid!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

I'm not very technically minded but I had an AirPlay issue when I first got it and one of the following fixed it...

1) make sure the computer and AppleTV are using the same wifi / internet connection
2) make sure the AppleTV software is updated
3) sounds obvious, but make sure you are logged in
4) some apps dont work over appleTV (sky Go for example)

there ends my technical capabilities.
Get in the f%~king bag.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Anyone using the new Horizon service from UPC? I've my broadband with them but only ever used them briefly for tv before, as the menus etc were so slow and poor on the set top box. I'm out of contract with sky so considering moving the tv over to UPC and save myself a few quid a month.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Help, is anyone using Firefox, IE, Chrome etc to view Twitter on desktop pc? I used to use it in work but can't at the moment because it now previews all pictures and while a text only page may escape notice, one filled with pictures is much harder to hide!!!

Does anyone know if its possible to stop these picture previews?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

In chrome, if you go into settings > show advanced settings > Content Settings > you can set the option to "Do not show any images".

Its ugly, it doesn't hide everything, but will stop the majority of images from being displayed.

Easy enough to turn on and off too.

Edit. In IE its Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > and deselect "Show Pictures" in the multimedia section.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Does anyone use a website called extratorrent.com seems to have gone dead last couple of days was just wondering if it's just me or if it's everyone.

Mods please feel free to remove this post if there's any issues.