Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

mikerob
Mullet

Re: Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

Post by mikerob »

honeyec wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:I've never gone to JD's even though it's close because some friends went there and said their rare steak wasn't rare. In fairness one of them was French but I'm of the "allez! bleu!" school of steak. Mind you, I rarely get to go out to a restaurant any more.
It was probably what I call "Irish rare". Pretty much every restaurant in this country overcooks their steaks by at least two "values". I always order blue and it always comes out rare. On one memorable occasion I ordered blue, from a French waiter in a French restaurant and had to send it back twice. I'm at the stage where I very rarely bother ordering steak out anymore as it's invariably overcooked. I'm a 90-seconds-each-side gal.
It isn't just Ireland though, I've had difficulty getting what I consider rare in countries like Spain and Argentina as well.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

If you're ever in the US, go to a Ruth's Chris steakhouse and try one of their steaks.
Magnificent.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

fourthirtythree wrote: Have you tried tartare?
Yes - and a bit like most things in life if it is done well it is wonderful but if done poorly can be dreadful. I love rare/blue steak also, cold in the middle etc. so tartare was an obvious choice when I saw it on a menu. Apparently it was banned here for a while post BSE etc. First time I had it was in Italy and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Minced lean beef with a little onion through it and a small amount of egg to hold it together (it almost sounds like a raw burger) but he real treat was the hint of chilli in it to give it a little kick.

It does need to be raw but not directly from the fridge, an hour or so at room temp is best. The worst one I had was too much egg and virtually frozen in the middle still. Not fun and actually hard work to finish.
Four Stars
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Deal on in JDs Steakhouse in Terenure at the moment - 17.95 for a two course meal on weeknights. Tempting!
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

The early bird set menu at FXB's is pretty good, €30 for three courses I think it was.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Lar wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote: Have you tried tartare?
but he real treat was the hint of chilli in it to give it a little kick.

I think it's tabasco - but could be wrong.

Don't get the love in with JD's here - live close by and having gone a few times wouldn't touch the place with yours tbh
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

The Doc wrote:I think it's tabasco - but could be wrong.

Don't get the love in with JD's here - live close by and having gone a few times wouldn't touch the place with yours tbh
Haven't been but again I've heard bad things and I used to know a lad who worked there, wouldn't want him preparing my food :lol:
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Difontaines pizza has re-opened on Parliment St accross the road from the Templebar Porterhouse. Back doing what no one else I know in the city does, i.e. proper New York style pizza (by the slice if you like). Great to get a slice or two (maybe a full ginormo pizza) and take it accross the road to the Porterhouse put it up on the barrells outside and enjoy with some tasty beer from the bottled options (never touch the taps in the Porterhouse, always a let down)
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Donald wrote:Nando's is cack.
Banned
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

If anybody likes their curry, I can heartily recommend Kasturi in Lucan village.
Very nice place to eat since they renovated it and the food is just as good if you order a takeaway.
I'm picky and like my curry spicy and they do a mean Chilli Masala!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Anandas in the Dundrum town centre. Truly excellent Indian.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Right folks, anniversary with the missus coming up this Saturday. Looking for recommendations for somewhere nice in town.

We're both fussy buggers, me less so. Both like Italian, steaks, european, american food. I like indian but she doesn't. She likes chinese but she doesn't. Can't say Japanese appeals to either of us.

Go!!!....
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Darce wrote:Right folks, anniversary with the missus coming up this Saturday. Looking for recommendations for somewhere nice in town.

We're both fussy buggers, me less so. Both like Italian, steaks, european, american food. I like indian but she doesn't. She likes chinese but she doesn't. Can't say Japanese appeals to either of us.

Go!!!....
Sounds like the Pig's Ear on Nassau St might be worth looking up, there or Roly's based upon the described fussyness.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Darce wrote:Right folks, anniversary with the missus coming up this Saturday. Looking for recommendations for somewhere nice in town.

Go!!!....
Captain America's?

I'll just get my coat.....
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Go!!!....
Conrad Gallagher's place on Aungier Street, Salon des Saveurs, is definitely worth a look. They've got [or at least they had the last time I was there, which is more than 6 months ago] 5 different taster menus of varying length and price, as well as a la carte. Prices are reasonable for the very high standard of food you're getting - it's about 80% of the quality and preparation of the late Mint of Ranelagh for 50% of the price.

Aungier Street is a fairly horrendous locale for a restaurant, but the room is nice enough and the service is excellent and professional.

http://www.salondessaveurs.com/index.html
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Go!!!....

Bring her to Chapter One. They're a lot cheaper than they used to be so it's not quite as extravagant as it used to be!
Alternatively, the Port House is an excellent venue if you want a load of nice food at decent prices.
Venu is also very nice and would be in between those two for prices.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

odessa or eden. port house is great but its tapas and my not be what your looking for.
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Go!!!....
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/mag ... 27818.html
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

jezzer wrote:

Go!!!....

Turn left at the Tullow Tank Banner!
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Leezer wrote:
jezzer wrote:

Go!!!....

Turn left at the Tullow Tank Banner!
It's a very, very well hidden place. You'd walk by it and not even see it.