Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Re: Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

Post by Danthefan »

Was in l'Gueuleton last weekend, very nice imo. Not as expensive as I thought it'd be either.
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

2 weekends in a row eh?

You have shares in the place?
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

totalrandomer wrote:2 weekends in a row eh?

You have shares in the place?
Nope actually, tbh I completely forgot I'd posted in this thread before. Oh well.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Had dinner in Le Bon Crubeen on Saturday. No offence to anyone, but this place is in the depths of hostelville on the Talbot St/Gardiner St junction - not a place exactly renowned for its choice of quality eateries. It's a hidden gem, though. The food was excellent, the service exemplary and it was really, really well-priced - 16 quid for my three generous fillet steak medallions with shallot rings & skinny chips, for example. My sister, who works in Parnell Square and is constantly bemoaning the lack of decent places to eat in the vicinity was beside herself. Couldn't recommend it enough if you happen to be knocking around the O'Connell St. area any time soon.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Was in The Angler's Rest, Strawberry Beds this evening, really really good food. Had the crab claws and prawns this evening. Very tasty. Peroni on draught was a bonus. Highly recommended.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

John23 wrote:Was in The Angler's Rest, Strawberry Beds this evening, really really good food. Had the crab claws and prawns this evening. Very tasty. Peroni on draught was a bonus. Highly recommended.
Heard about this place. Going to check it out one of these days.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

hugonaut wrote:
John23 wrote:Was in The Angler's Rest, Strawberry Beds this evening, really really good food. Had the crab claws and prawns this evening. Very tasty. Peroni on draught was a bonus. Highly recommended.
Heard about this place. Going to check it out one of these days.

It's a pub come restaurant just don't expect pub prices. That said food is great and it's a nice setting. Fish is the way to go as it's owned & run by Wrights of Howth. The Hole In The Wall is another place (closish) that converted part of pub into restaurant. Again nice setting but food not as good as Anglers.
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

honeyec wrote:Had dinner in Le Bon Crubeen on Saturday. No offence to anyone, but this place is in the depths of hostelville on the Talbot St/Gardiner St junction - not a place exactly renowned for its choice of quality eateries. It's a hidden gem, though. The food was excellent, the service exemplary and it was really, really well-priced - 16 quid for my three generous fillet steak medallions with shallot rings & skinny chips, for example. My sister, who works in Parnell Square and is constantly bemoaning the lack of decent places to eat in the vicinity was beside herself. Couldn't recommend it enough if you happen to be knocking around the O'Connell St. area any time soon.
I like 101 Talbot. Been about 3/4 times over as many years and it's always been excellent. They do a great pre theatre menu but these days i guess it's called an early bird!
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Good deal on starter and main for €15 at the Step Inn, Stepaside.....good value, good service and a nice pint of Guinness to wash it all down.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Scott wrote:
honeyec wrote:Had dinner in Le Bon Crubeen on Saturday. No offence to anyone, but this place is in the depths of hostelville on the Talbot St/Gardiner St junction - not a place exactly renowned for its choice of quality eateries. It's a hidden gem, though. The food was excellent, the service exemplary and it was really, really well-priced - 16 quid for my three generous fillet steak medallions with shallot rings & skinny chips, for example. My sister, who works in Parnell Square and is constantly bemoaning the lack of decent places to eat in the vicinity was beside herself. Couldn't recommend it enough if you happen to be knocking around the O'Connell St. area any time soon.
I like 101 Talbot. Been about 3/4 times over as many years and it's always been excellent. They do a great pre theatre menu but these days i guess it's called an early bird!
Seconded. 101 Talbot is a good spot. It's good to support them as well, they've been there doing a good job for quite a while.

Had a nice feed of sushi in the Hop House on Parnell Street the other night, first time I'd been in there. Extremely pleasant staff and decent sushi – not going to blow your mind, but reasonable on a quality:price ratio. Can't get enough of that tuna nigiri!
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

If you ever happen to be in the midlands (I know, what would you be doing there) then Viewmount House in Longford is an excellent restaurant. Its not cheap (€53 for set menu) but its very good value if you know what I mean.

They also do B&B.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Darce wrote:Right folks, anniversary with the missus coming up this Saturday. Looking for recommendations for somewhere nice in town.

We're both fussy buggers, me less so. Both like Italian, steaks, european, american food. I like indian but she doesn't. She likes chinese but she doesn't. Can't say Japanese appeals to either of us.

Go!!!....

Well
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Scott wrote:
Darce wrote:Right folks, anniversary with the missus coming up this Saturday. Looking for recommendations for somewhere nice in town.

We're both fussy buggers, me less so. Both like Italian, steaks, european, american food. I like indian but she doesn't. She likes chinese but she doesn't. Can't say Japanese appeals to either of us.

Go!!!....

Well

ended up getting a good deal on a little night away in Citywest. Dinner bed breakfast.

Not too shabby
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Forgot to mention the best bit was the guy checking us in forgot to take payment for the dinner so we just paid for the room. Which was also upgraded from standard to superior due to a booking mix up on their part. Got free passed to the Guinness storehouse too which was nice
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Darce wrote:Forgot to mention the best bit was the guy checking us in forgot to take payment for the dinner so we just paid for the room. Which was also upgraded from standard to superior due to a booking mix up on their part. Got free passed to the Guinness storehouse too which was nice
No wonder Citywest has gone into receivership :wink:
But at least you did not have to take matters into your own hands like this chap ...

Thomas Bradshaw, whose mother Angela is liable for monthly mortgage payments of €2,400 even though she cannot occupy or rent out the apartment, began the occupation this evening.

Ms Bradshaw was one of 120 investors in the Citywest Golf Suites developed by Jim Mansfield at his leisure and conference complex in West Dublin.

They bought the apartments with an agreement to lease them back as suites in an aparthotel to Mr Mansfield for seven years.

But investors claim they have not received any rent in two years even though they are still liable for mortgage repayments.

Since Royal Bank of Scotland appointed a receiver to the property a year ago, the owners say they have been denied access to the suites.

And the owners cannot now occupy the suites or convert them to apartments as rental units.

Receiver Martin Ferris said he had a lot of sympathy for the investors but pointed out that the suites do not have planning permission for owner occupiers.

He said there are also problems with lack of insurance.

Mr Ferris said the occupation by Mr Bradshaw - who was with two friends when he broke a window to get in to the apartment - was without his consent.

He said he will be consulting with his legal advisors about the situation tomorrow morning.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0628/citywest.html
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Had the early bird in the The Chili Club 15e. Great value and a nice place. They also do a set menu lunch for a tenner which i will be trying out real soon. It's just off South Ann Street across from that shithole Venu
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

Scott wrote:Had the early bird in the The Chili Club 15e. Great value and a nice place. They also do a set menu lunch for a tenner which i will be trying out real soon. It's just off South Ann Street across from that shithole Venu
McGonigles?
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

totalrandomer wrote:
Scott wrote:Had the early bird in the The Chili Club 15e. Great value and a nice place. They also do a set menu lunch for a tenner which i will be trying out real soon. It's just off South Ann Street across from that shithole Venu
McGonigles?
I ate there once and (I've probably told this story here before, but it's a good one!) one of our table sent back a steak which was not cooked as ordered. The waiter took the plate, walked around the restaurant, stood by a pillar and then placed the same steak back down without even attempting to go into the Kitchen!

The management really considered themselves & their restaurant to be far more important than they really were.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Slipper1 wrote:
totalrandomer wrote:
McGonigles?
I ate there once and (I've probably told this story here before, but it's a good one!) one of our table sent back a steak which was not cooked as ordered. The waiter took the plate, walked around the restaurant, stood by a pillar and then placed the same steak back down without even attempting to go into the Kitchen!

The management really considered themselves & their restaurant to be far more important than they really were.

I take it thats Venu Brasserie your talking about as i dont remember seeing Thai steak on the menu in the chilli club!!
Yeah went once and never again. Overprice muck tbh. I had heard it had closed down but was open the other night when i walked past
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Slipper1 wrote:
totalrandomer wrote:
McGonigles?

I take it thats Venu Brasserie your talking about as i dont remember seeing Thai steak on the menu in the chilli club!!
Yeah went once and never again. Overprice muck tbh. I had heard it had closed down but was open the other night when i walked past