Moderator: moderators

totalrandomer
Graduate

Re: Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

Post by totalrandomer »

Scott wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:
totalrandomer wrote: McGonigles?
I ate there once and (I've probably told this story here before, but it's a good one!) one of our table sent back a steak which was not cooked as ordered. The waiter took the plate, walked around the restaurant, stood by a pillar and then placed the same steak back down without even attempting to go into the Kitchen!

The management really considered themselves & their restaurant to be far more important than they really were.

I take it thats Venu Brasserie your talking about as i dont remember seeing Thai steak on the menu in the chilli club!!
Yeah went once and never again. Overprice muck tbh. I had heard it had closed down but was open the other night when i walked past
Sorry, I thought you meant Shithole Venue. :lol:
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

totalrandomer wrote:
Sorry, I thought you meant Shithole Venue. :lol:

I am far to young to remember McGonagles :x
Not so young that i dont remember The System :(
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I had a pretty negative experience of Venu myself a few years ago, never went back.

Stunningly overpriced food for what it was – nice presentation but very average preparation. The deal-breaker for me was the horrendous room, two storeys underground in a sub-basement with no natural light! Celtic F*cking Tiger, Baby.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

edit
Last edited by Scott on July 6th, 2011, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Lovely day out today, chance of showers later I hear.
Last edited by TerenureJim on July 6th, 2011, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

TJ maybe just delete the link in your post. sorry about that!
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Bloody hell! I've eaten in Venu twice (albeit a couple of years ago) and never had any of those issues.
Seems like it wasn't just an isolated incident though and plenty of people have had issues....
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Anyone had Indian in Ranelagh?
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

TerenureJim wrote:Went to Crack Bird at the edge of Temple Bar recently, it's from the team behind Jo'Burger. Have to say it was very nice and good value. There's only chicken on the menu so it's limited in the options but the few dishes they have were quality. Also good drinks selection, the house white was a nice crisp one and Staropramen was available bottle wise for the beer drinkers.
This place has 'popped up' again. This time it's at the top of South William Street. It's where the Indian Maloti used to be (pity. i liked that Indian). Much bigger than it's previous location
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

TerenureJim wrote:Anyone had Indian in Ranelagh?
There's a place just north of Redmonds, Kina Kitchen or something like that. Well worth a visit.
A proud Winsome Fluter
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
There's a place just north of Redmonds, Kina Kitchen or something like that. Well worth a visit.
Tried the place beside it I think, one has a grey front the other a cream front, anyways it was one of the nicest Indians i've ever had. There were four of us and it was served up in a fun way and we all just lobbed into the food in what can only be described as a party of flavour & spice very impressive.

Also was out in Ocho up the road there in Ranelagh last night and have to say it is some of the best tasting and best value tapas I have ever had. Two large portioned plates each for myself and the GF and a bottle of wine €53! Quite happy with that, the calamari and the patas bravas were huge portions and very, very tasty. Herself had prawns and chorizo in apples/cider dressing. Obviously being tapas it was share and share a like but damn I couldn't fault a single thing about the place. They even served up a glass of ice so we could help ourselves to as much/as little as we wanted in the old table water!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

New Mexican place on Baggot st where Nude used to be beside the Waterloo. Excellenté. Almost as good as the burritos in the epicurean food hall
Benji
Knowledgeable

Post by Benji »

The Kinara opposite Superquinn is a great spot. Great starters and mains Not the cheapest but yet to have a bad night there
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

I see Nando's are going to open up a couple of places either side of the Liffey in town later in the year. Any other international eateries people would like to see open up? My votes would go on Red Lobster, The Cheesecake Factory and maybe Buba Gump....

.....also why are there so few KFC's left (Rathmines closed a while now), and none in town, it seems like a successful franchise proposition?
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

TerenureJim wrote:
.....also why are there so few KFC's left (Rathmines closed a while now), and none in town,
Isn't there one in Jervis?

Sheepshagger can probably confirm
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

The GF suggested we try the new Mao at home that's after opening beside the Leinster offices in Donnybrook, it was a poor sugestion. Not that the food was horrible or anything it was just bland and flavourless which is not what you want when going asian. Won't be a repeat visit.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

sarah_lennon wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
.....also why are there so few KFC's left (Rathmines closed a while now), and none in town,
Isn't there one in Jervis?

Sheepshagger can probably confirm
Ilac Centre (I walk past it going to work), Parnell St end.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

TerenureJim wrote:
.....also why are there so few KFC's left (Rathmines closed a while now), and none in town, it seems like a successful franchise proposition?
Cause their food is f**king horrible. You'd get better fried chicken out of your local chipper. If it wasn't for Sheepshagger's addiction to KFC, they would have pulled out of Ireland years ago! :D
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Donny B. wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
Cause their food is f**king horrible. You'd get better fried chicken out of your local chipper. If it wasn't for Sheepshagger's addiction to KFC, they would have pulled out of Ireland years ago! :D
How dare you!

Still waiting for KFC to be added to the delivery menu of www. Justeat.ie. if its good enough for Abra then the Colonel should be catered for.

EDIT: didn't realise there was a new one in the Ilac, that's pretty close to Jervious :?

AFAIK the only others are in Dundrum, Liffey Valley and the lucky fockers in Blanch have the only drive thru :(

Used to frequent the Rathmines one years ago after falling out of Roddy Bolands across the road.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

sheepshagger wrote:Used to frequent the Rathmines one years ago after falling out of Roddy Bolands across the road.
I'm with you on that one, good ol Roddy's

By the by what's this about delivering Abra? That's just nasty.