Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Re: Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

Post by Project Scorpio »

TerenureJim wrote:
TheBear wrote:Following Saba (Rathmines) and Diep (Ranelagh), Siam Thai have opened a take-away. It's in Ranelagh, where the pizza place used to be (the one that always looked closed, but claimed to have the best pizza in the world, opposite Pinocchio).

Haven't tried it yet, but menu looks like similar options but cheaper.
Got it after the gym last week, it was ok not as tasty as Saba or my new favourite thai Neon but better than Diep or Mao (Mao is terrible).

Had Mao a couple of weeks ago....shocker - took over an hour to delvier from Donnybrook to Ranelagh, forgot cokes, and the food was complete muck...never again

Love Saba but does take longer
Hank Scorpio: Homer, on your way out, if you want to kill somebody, it would help me a lot.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Project Scorpio wrote:Had Mao a couple of weeks ago....shocker - took over an hour to delvier from Donnybrook to Ranelagh, forgot cokes, and the food was complete muck...never again
Yep last time I ordered it from the GF's place and it took them about the same amount of time the order was from Donnybrook......to Donnybrook. Straight road from where they're at to just after the Hampton Hotel and they still took a feckin hour. And yes it was muck.
RnR
Knowledgeable

Post by RnR »

Had lunch in Sound Bites, upstairs in Tower Records on Wicklow St D2.
Once again it was superb food and excellent value.
Well worth a visit.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Highly recommend a trip down to Bath Avenue to Farmer Browns, was having a few pints outside the Bath weekend before last and we decided to step in for a bite and give it a try. The food was fantastic, huge portions of perfectly cooked chicken and cod were had, top notch sweet potato fries and some fantastic sauce. They were a little busy so food took a while comming but becuase we were waiting we got a huge pile of wings (which by the way were cooked so perfectly the meet was falling off the bone).

Went back again this weekend for brunch Saturday morning just to see if our opinions hadn't been tainted by boozy memories and god it was even better. So bloody good in fact that we ended up going again from brunch yesterday.

Get down and try it out soon as you can.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Himself was in the mood for Italian take-away today, so he ordered from Mario's in Ranelagh. You can get any of their meals to take away, but I can't help feeling that it's a bit cheeky to charge as much for take-away as they charge for those who eat in. Can't think of anywhere else that does Italian take-away, though. Any suggestions?

Also, I went in to Siam To Go - wow, there was a lot of chili in it. Quite nice, and they have a seating area there, similar to Kanum, so you could go there even if take-away didn't suit.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

TerenureJim wrote:Highly recommend a trip down to Bath Avenue to Farmer Browns, was having a few pints outside the Bath weekend before last and we decided to step in for a bite and give it a try. The food was fantastic, huge portions of perfectly cooked chicken and cod were had, top notch sweet potato fries and some fantastic sauce. They were a little busy so food took a while comming but becuase we were waiting we got a huge pile of wings (which by the way were cooked so perfectly the meet was falling off the bone).

Went back again this weekend for brunch Saturday morning just to see if our opinions hadn't been tainted by boozy memories and god it was even better. So bloody good in fact that we ended up going again from brunch yesterday.

Get down and try it out soon as you can.
Food is excellent, but they need to sort out the venue a bit. It's tiny, fairly uncomfortable and a tad grotty. They have a fair amount of space outside but it goes without saying that the weather is rarely good enough to sit there.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Was down there yesterday TB and they've very much improved the outside.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Project Scorpio wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
TheBear wrote:Following Saba (Rathmines) and Diep (Ranelagh), Siam Thai have opened a take-away. It's in Ranelagh, where the pizza place used to be (the one that always looked closed, but claimed to have the best pizza in the world, opposite Pinocchio).

Haven't tried it yet, but menu looks like similar options but cheaper.
Got it after the gym last week, it was ok not as tasty as Saba or my new favourite thai Neon but better than Diep or Mao (Mao is terrible).

Had Mao a couple of weeks ago....shocker - took over an hour to delvier from Donnybrook to Ranelagh, forgot cokes, and the food was complete muck...never again

Love Saba but does take longer
On the basis that Delvier sounds like the name of a French village, I'd say France to Dublin in an hour is great.

Seriously though, I wouldn't pay if a delivery man showed up after an hour. It happened to me before and we actually waited so long that we ended up ordering from the local Chinese, and it was delivered first.

The original delivery guy showed up about 15 minutes later and demanded to be paid. I fooking tore strips off him and sent him off empty handed
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

There's a groupon today for Bella Cuba. I'm sure most of you have been. Is it any good? (Having young kids during the 10 years of the boom and lack of funds now means not getting to eat out much)

Liked the look of it until I got to the phrase "Cuban Cigars" Hopefully nowhere within sniffing distance of the food?

Tobacco product smells and food should not occupy the same universe for me.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

johng wrote:There's a groupon today for Bella Cuba. I'm sure most of you have been. Is it any good? (Having young kids during the 10 years of the boom and lack of funds now means not getting to eat out much)

Liked the look of it until I got to the phrase "Cuban Cigars" Hopefully nowhere within sniffing distance of the food?

I've been there. Liked it, I'd go back.

Is that the one on menupages though? I couldn't see a groupon deal.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ronk wrote:
johng wrote:There's a groupon today for Bella Cuba. I'm sure most of you have been. Is it any good? (Having young kids during the 10 years of the boom and lack of funds now means not getting to eat out much)

I've been there. Liked it, I'd go back.

Is that the one on menupages though? I couldn't see a groupon deal.
Yeah sorry. I just call all that stuff Groupon. Like calling a vacuum cleaner a hoover or a smartphone an iPhone.

So no whiff of cigars anywhere near the food then?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Not when I was there anyway. Food was good. I had something with fish and some kind of moros y cristianos IIRC. Before the childer so a while ago. It wasn't spicy (I believe that habaneros are cuban so they would have an excuse to make very spicy food if they wanted).
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It was good. I'm going to go for that deal.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

gfo wrote:Seriously though, I wouldn't pay if a delivery man showed up after an hour. It happened to me before and we actually waited so long that we ended up ordering from the local Chinese, and it was delivered first.

The original delivery guy showed up about 15 minutes later and demanded to be paid. I fooking tore strips off him and sent him off empty handed
In fairness, you should really have rung and cancelled the original order...
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Hearing great things about Rock Lobster in Donnybrook
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

Restaurant Name:Rock Lobster

Price Range: €€

New restaurant in Donnybrook opened since the start of December I believe. After reading this review which probably sums it up better than me http://lovindublin.com/brasserie/the...ter-in-dublin/ I decided it was time to give it a try.

Now anywhere that's USP is a full lobster, salad and chips for €20 is going to be on to a winner if the food is half decent, and it's better than that it's excellent. We started with mussels and some potted shrimp, both were great but are completely overshadowed by the main course.

For €20 I wasn't expecting much of a monster Pinchy but what came to the table was anything but small. The lobster was served split which reduces the work involved and tasted great accompanied by some melted butter, a green salad and nice bucket of chips (fyi for €2 you can upgrade to the likes of truffle&parmasen fries etc). The lobster tasted fantastic and I would have willingly paid a lot more for it.

The service throughout the meal was good and we also had two cocktails which certainly didn't lack alcohol. On a Tuesday night at the beginning of January, the fact that the place was 2/3rd's full speaks for itself. Definitely need to book for weekend nights which can be done on the phone/twitter.

The bill for 2, cocktails, starters and lobster came to €72.30.

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Was in Rocklobster just before Christmas and it was outstanding!
future international
Enlightened

Bite, the restaurant opened last year on South Frederick St is getting a facelift/new menu and opening on Jan 15th. They released a set of rules for the new place today...

TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

If they're banning the word 'foodie', is the new menu going to be less foodie than the last one? There was not a single thing on that menu that I would have eaten without asking for something to be left out.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
future international
Enlightened

TheBear wrote:If they're banning the word 'foodie', is the new menu going to be less foodie than the last one? There was not a single thing on that menu that I would have eaten without asking for something to be left out.
Thought the last menu was fantastic tbh, the Lobester burger which they ran for a good while was top notch, as was the simple fish and chips. Really don't think it was over complicated compared to a lot of restaurants no days.