Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

Post by TerenureJim »

Went to Crack Bird at the edge of Temple Bar recently, it's from the team behind Jo'Burger. Have to say it was very nice and good value. There's only chicken on the menu so it's limited in the options but the few dishes they have were quality. Also good drinks selection, the house white was a nice crisp one and Staropramen was available bottle wise for the beer drinkers.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Re: Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

Post by Broken Wing »

It's closed.

The Shack in Temple Bar. Good food, decent prices but often overlooked as being a bit touristy.
Last edited by Broken Wing on May 25th, 2011, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Broken Wing wrote:It's closed.
Damn thought their pop-up might end up being a permanent feature.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Broken Wing wrote:It's closed.

Where will all the skinny jeans cardigan wearing hippsters go now :lol:
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Scott wrote:Where will all the skinny jeans cardigan wearing hippsters go now :lol:
I'd like to disassociate myself from those people straight away, it's far from shops where skinny jeans are sold that my mom buys my clothes.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Went to Montys of Kathmandu in Temple Bar last friday.

Bloody sensational
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Darce wrote:Went to Montys of Kathmandu in Temple Bar last friday.

Bloody sensational

FOOKING LOVE IT. Roll out of that place. Quality grub & great sized portions. One in Rathgar does take-out (and maybe delivery)
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

Pablo Picante's for Burritos followed closely by Boojum Mex.

addicted.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Scott wrote:

Bloody sensational

FOOKING LOVE IT. Roll out of that place. Quality grub & great sized portions. One in Rathgar does take-out (and maybe delivery)
Will be making myself a regular in Rathgar (handier for me) for sure.
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Darce wrote:
Scott wrote:

Bloody sensational

Will be making myself a regular in Rathgar (handier for me) for sure.
I had heard mixed things about Rathgar, very mixed things but that said I've never been myself
All the way back logue
Graduate

Post by All the way back logue »

I had heard mixed things about Rathgar, very mixed things but that said I've never been myself[/quote]

was there a few weeks ago - seating is a wee bit tight downstairs but food was top notch - we completely over-ordered but managed to get through it (and then a few scoops in the Bottlers around the corner - sweet!)

for something a bit higher up on the price range, same location, is Bijou in Rathgar - great lunch/brunch menu aswell.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

TerenureJim wrote:

Bloody sensational

I had heard mixed things about Rathgar, very mixed things but that said I've never been myself
As have i . Been to the one in town about 6/8 times & fantastic each time. Been to one in Rathgar 3times and has been as good each time BUT i have had friends & parents tell me of bad experiences in Rathgar. Waiting over an hour to have order taken & food cold served up.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Had a bit of Kanum this week, the Mespil Rd one (there's Rathgar as well equal quality) good service and used to love their menu (Thai Green Curry, Singapore Rice both quality dishes) but they seem to have changed up the ingredients a little of late and I'm not quite jiving with it anymore.

Also has anyone been to Punjab Balti in Ranelagh, any use?
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Hit the Indian across the road from Donnybrook stadium, Khans Balti House, last week. It was very, very tasty and quite good value to boot. Staff were excellent, even moved us after a large party in the window got a little loud rather than have the crowd sitting on top of us. It was BYOB as well so that helped on the value front. Highly recommend the Chicken Korma.
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

BYOB in a restaurant? very progressive
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Darce wrote:BYOB in a restaurant? very progressive
Yep so a couple of beers for myself and bottle of wine for the GF. Table next to us probably went a little OTT by bringing in a case of Cobra.

It was very handy as O'Briens is only over the road and I actually had some Cardiff road trip beers left over and chilling in the fridge which went down nicely.
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

TerenureJim wrote:Hit the Indian across the road from Donnybrook stadium, Khans Balti House, last week. It was very, very tasty and quite good value to boot. Staff were excellent, even moved us after a large party in the window got a little loud rather than have the crowd sitting on top of us. It was BYOB as well so that helped on the value front. Highly recommend the Chicken Korma.
That was absolutely shite the last time I was in there. The Chinese a few doors down from the branch office is very good.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

combatlogo wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Hit the Indian across the road from Donnybrook stadium, Khans Balti House, last week. It was very, very tasty and quite good value to boot. Staff were excellent, even moved us after a large party in the window got a little loud rather than have the crowd sitting on top of us. It was BYOB as well so that helped on the value front. Highly recommend the Chicken Korma.
That was absolutely shite the last time I was in there. The Chinese a few doors down from the branch office is very good.
Furama? Good but pricey.
A proud Winsome Fluter
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

combatlogo wrote:
Give it another try, for me it was tasty and good value and really nice service. It was my first and only time so far being there but I'd go back. I'd recommend it anyway and if you try it again and don't like well sincere apologies I guess.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Leezer wrote:Pablo Picante's for Burritos followed closely by Boojum Mex.

addicted.

Tried the Pablo's on Baggots st before & it was quality. Never knew that there was one on the top of South William Street. Kinda down a lane next door to Peters pub. Only noticed it as I walked past and saw plp sitting outside eating a burrito and having a beer. Stuck my head in & they have a few nice bottled beers Sierra Nevada Pale Ale/Anchor Steam/Blue Moon. Will be heading there some day real soon.