for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

Post by fourthirtythree »

Scott wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
Darce wrote:Went to Montys of Kathmandu in Temple Bar last friday.

Bloody sensational

I had heard mixed things about Rathgar, very mixed things but that said I've never been myself
As have i . Been to the one in town about 6/8 times & fantastic each time. Been to one in Rathgar 3times and has been as good each time BUT i have had friends & parents tell me of bad experiences in Rathgar. Waiting over an hour to have order taken & food cold served up.

Went there last week, haven't been to the one in town for a few years but the food was its equal and the ambience was far superior in Rathgar. The town one, despite charging premium rather than cheapo Indian prices, packs you in like sardines and you get to be intimate with your neighbours and their conversations. Also very loud din. Not that pleasant a place to eat because of it.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Was only in Monty's Rathgar myself last Thursday. Couldn't complain at all. We were there shortly after it opened and the service was unbelievably slow, but have been back a few times since and they've improved immeasurably, so I'd chalk all the mixed reports up to teething problems (unless they're from very recently).

Momo dumplings. That is all.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Was in L'Gueuleton at the weekend, very much enjoyed it.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Made the mistake of trying TGI Fridays in Dundrum recently as was just hungry and the wait for Nando's was too long and didn't really fancy any of the other eateries out there for various reasons. Suffice to say it wasn't great, €44 for two starters, two mains and a pepsi. I had a burger which was ok but nothing special i.e. not worth €15. Herself had an uninspriing Chicken filet and the sides were just deep fried rubbish. Should have known it was a bad idea.

Also I know the staff meant well but there was no need to be over every 5 mins to check if everything was alright, asking us for drinks when we had already ordered, and at the end of the meal take ages with the bill. Also when we queried (just queried, not complained) what type of chilies were in the jalapeno dippers (the chili was red and usually expect green jalapenos, actually didn't know you could have red ones) the waitress got the manager to come over to ask us if there was a problem with the bill and if there had been an "issue" with the food in a sort of are you causing a problem for my staff way. I don't know if we gave them a nasty look when we asked what chili it was.

There was a 5% service charge and I lashed on €2 tip for my sins as well but I wouldn't go back for any casual "this place looks harmless" dining ever again. Lesson learned.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

TerenureJim wrote:Made the mistake of trying TGI Fridays in Dundrum recently as was just hungry and the wait for Nando's was too long and didn't really fancy any of the other eateries out there for various reasons. Suffice to say it wasn't great, €44 for two starters, two mains and a pepsi. I had a burger which was ok but nothing special i.e. not worth €15. Herself had an uninspriing Chicken filet and the sides were just deep fried rubbish. Should have known it was a bad idea.

Also I know the staff meant well but there was no need to be over every 5 mins to check if everything was alright, asking us for drinks when we had already ordered, and at the end of the meal take ages with the bill. Also when we queried (just queried, not complained) what type of chilies were in the jalapeno dippers (the chili was red and usually expect green jalapenos, actually didn't know you could have red ones) the waitress got the manager to come over to ask us if there was a problem with the bill and if there had been an "issue" with the food in a sort of are you causing a problem for my staff way. I don't know if we gave them a nasty look when we asked what chili it was.

There was a 5% service charge and I lashed on €2 tip for my sins as well but I wouldn't go back for any casual "this place looks harmless" dining ever again. Lesson learned.
Jim, this is an easy mistake to make.

But if you're ever in Dundrum and in the mood for a burger, never (and I mean NEVER) look beyond Counter Burger 2 down from Nandos

You wont be sorry
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Donald
Mullet

Post by Donald »

Nando's is cack. Ate there once and will never be back. The best sopts in DTC are the Counter, The Porthouse (though sometimes will not fill you completely), Roly Saul, Ananda (expensivish though) and prob my favourite Siam Thai early bird starter and main course for €22. Superb!
Come live with me in SEALAND!!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

At the Green Hen on Exchequer Street a couple of Friday's ago, pricey but absolutely delicious food and a beautiful room at the top of the stairs - would recommend it heartily, but she's not cheap.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Darce wrote:Jim, this is an easy mistake to make.

But if you're ever in Dundrum and in the mood for a burger, never (and I mean NEVER) look beyond Counter Burger 2 down from Nandos

You wont be sorry
See thing was I was down at Custom but at that time I didn't fancy a burger, mind changed upon getting back into the main centre leading to the bad choice. As for Custom have been there before, it's really nice but no Jo'Burger.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

hugonaut wrote:At the Green Hen on Exchequer Street a couple of Friday's ago, pricey but absolutely delicious food and a beautiful room at the top of the stairs - would recommend it heartily, but she's not cheap.
Not cheap? Flip, hitting there Saturday with better half. Early bird it is! :oops:

I can only recommend JD's Steak House in Terenure. Two starters, two kick @ss steaks (one 10oz fillet and a 14oz rib-eye) two desserts, bottle of wine, pint of lager, two digestifs €85 all in. I was delighted with my rib-eye but did have some steak envy for my missus's fillet. Both were superb. Service was top notch too.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

RoboProp wrote:
hugonaut wrote:At the Green Hen on Exchequer Street a couple of Friday's ago, pricey but absolutely delicious food and a beautiful room at the top of the stairs - would recommend it heartily, but she's not cheap.
Not cheap? Flip, hitting there Saturday with better half. Early bird it is! :oops:

I can only recommend JD's Steak House in Terenure. Two starters, two kick @ss steaks (one 10oz fillet and a 14oz rib-eye) two desserts, bottle of wine, pint of lager, two digestifs €85 all in. I was delighted with my rib-eye but did have some steak envy for my missus's fillet. Both were superb. Service was top notch too.
It's not extortionate, don't worry! If you know the Bijou in Rathgar, it's about that sort of range. Cheaper than the Town/Eden/Locks variety.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

hugonaut wrote:
RoboProp wrote:

It's not extortionate, don't worry! If you know the Bijou in Rathgar, it's about that sort of range. Cheaper than the Town/Eden/Locks variety.
I've always enjoyed Bijou, regularly go there for brunch, Eden is great for parties and for Sunday brunch, wasn't pushed on Town the one time I went (maybe it was because I was surrounded by politicians) and Lock's... well it's an institution (or it was anyway).

I've never gone to JD's even though it's close because some friends went there and said their rare steak wasn't rare. In fairness one of them was French but I'm of the "allez! bleu!" school of steak. Mind you, I rarely get to go out to a restaurant any more.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I like my steak medium-rare and that's just how it was, the fillet was medium rare too and also perfectly pink all the way through. French style steaks scares the bejaysus out of me!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

RoboProp wrote:I like my steak medium-rare and that's just how it was, the fillet was medium rare too and also perfectly pink all the way through. French style steaks scares the bejaysus out of me!
One of the happiest meals of my life was when my wife was away and I was watching Leinster on the telly with a massively thick steak from the barbecue with some robust red wine, steak charred on the outside but bloody raw dripping inside (helps if it's really thick to get that mixture) with my young daughter jumping up and down beside me chanting "meat. meat. meat." as I fed her bloody morsels.

Obviously child protection, my wife etc. could have caused problems but what they didn't know didn't hurt them and she's still here.

To me pink all the way through without going down to a slightly more raw colour just in the middle is a medium steak. Medium rare goes to a rare texture/colour in the middle. Rare never makes it to proper pink. And bleu is not heated in the middle.
I've actually never eaten tartare though.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

RoboProp wrote: I can only recommend JD's Steak House in Terenure. Two starters, two kick @ss steaks (one 10oz fillet and a 14oz rib-eye) two desserts, bottle of wine, pint of lager, two digestifs €85 all in. I was delighted with my rib-eye but did have some steak envy for my missus's fillet. Both were superb. Service was top notch too.

Holy God! €85 is great value for a meal like that! Thanks for the tip-off. :clap:

EDIT: was this for the early bird menu?
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Leinsterman wrote:
RoboProp wrote: I can only recommend JD's Steak House in Terenure. Two starters, two kick @ss steaks (one 10oz fillet and a 14oz rib-eye) two desserts, bottle of wine, pint of lager, two digestifs €85 all in. I was delighted with my rib-eye but did have some steak envy for my missus's fillet. Both were superb. Service was top notch too.

Holy God! €85 is great value for a meal like that! Thanks for the tip-off. :clap:

They do the early bird to until about 7:30 on weekends, think its ten during week. €17 for two courses, but to bolster steaks its a wee bit more, not much mind. extra €5.50 for starter and 10oz fillet. We were both very satisfied with our steaks. Nice and simple, no pretense just how I likes it!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

RoboProp wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

They do the early bird to until about 7:30 on weekends, think its ten during week. €17 for two courses, but to bolster steaks its a wee bit more, not much mind. extra €5.50 for starter and 10oz fillet. We were both very satisfied with our steaks. Nice and simple, no pretense just how I likes it!
Sorry, yeah, should have agreed that that's a fantastic price and that I will be going there next time we're out,
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

fourthirtythree wrote:I've never gone to JD's even though it's close because some friends went there and said their rare steak wasn't rare. In fairness one of them was French but I'm of the "allez! bleu!" school of steak. Mind you, I rarely get to go out to a restaurant any more.
It was probably what I call "Irish rare". Pretty much every restaurant in this country overcooks their steaks by at least two "values". I always order blue and it always comes out rare. On one memorable occasion I ordered blue, from a French waiter in a French restaurant and had to send it back twice. I'm at the stage where I very rarely bother ordering steak out anymore as it's invariably overcooked. I'm a 90-seconds-each-side gal.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

honeyec wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:I've never gone to JD's even though it's close because some friends went there and said their rare steak wasn't rare. In fairness one of them was French but I'm of the "allez! bleu!" school of steak. Mind you, I rarely get to go out to a restaurant any more.
It was probably what I call "Irish rare". Pretty much every restaurant in this country overcooks their steaks by at least two "values". I always order blue and it always comes out rare. On one memorable occasion I ordered blue, from a French waiter in a French restaurant and had to send it back twice. I'm at the stage where I very rarely bother ordering steak out anymore as it's invariably overcooked. I'm a 90-seconds-each-side gal.
Me too on a nice hot griddle (90ish a side that is). Have you tried tartare?
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

fourthirtythree wrote:Have you tried tartare?
Not yet. I do like it stone cold in the middle (but not chilled- steaks should be out of the fridge an hour before they go on the heat), but I just can't forgo those few millimetres of fabulous, blackened crust on the outside. Plus, true tartare is minced and I'm not so sure the texture of that would appeal to me.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

honeyec wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Have you tried tartare?
Not yet. I do like it stone cold in the middle (but not chilled- steaks should be out of the fridge an hour before they go on the heat), but I just can't forgo those few millimetres of fabulous, blackened crust on the outside. Plus, true tartare is minced and I'm not so sure the texture of that would appeal to me.
I had tartars last night and it was just fab, a completely new texture and taste.
Get in the f%~king bag.