Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

Post by TerenureJim »

Maia just past Four Star pizza beside the RDS. Cannot recommend them more for Saturday/Sunday brunch. The cuban sandwich is a must.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Went to Cinnamon in Ranelagh recently. a really mediocre meal, decent sized portions but nothing to shout home about. when you go out to a restaurant, the one thing you expect is something over and above what you could do at home and we didnt get that when we were out.

Did Anandas in Dundrum town centre twice recently once for the Early Bird & then main dinner. @ €20 the Early Bird was just fantastic - portions were a little smaller but thats to be expected, the flavours were excellent and staff patient and attentive. always willing to explain what was on the menu. Regular menu was the same, just bigger portions & more expensive.

The Butchers Grill in Ranelagh was also decent, my fillet was tasty, chips & salads were good. Ribs were excellent, if a little sweet. it falls on the expensive side though.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

I second the praise for Ananda. It's excellent and it deserves the good business that it seems to be doing. One of Drico's favourites as well, so it has to be good!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Apparently the new spot to be seen is Bite just off Nasau St. hearing great things, sweet potato wedges are top and indeed notch I'm told.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Had a shocker in Jo'Burger last week. Just me and my book, was waiting almost 45 minutes on a burger. No chips, no sides, nothing - just a burger. Table of three that were seated and ordered after me got their food before me. Only two waitresses on, one was pleasant enough, the other was downright rude. Two blokes came in and were seated near the door. They moved up beside me to get away from the draft; informed the bitchy waitress that they were doing so. 15 minutes later when she finally came to clear the table beside us, they asked her (perfectly pleasantly) to give their side of the table a wipe-down. Her response was "Well that's what happens when you seat yourself; people forget about you and you don't get a clean table or water or anything." When she served the three people whose food somehow managed to "skip" mine, one of them, again extremely politely, pointed out that they were waiting on a side of fries. She downright snapped at them "I only have two hands, you know."

Didn't leave a tip and won't be back. And that was on a Tuesday evening. I dread to think what it's like at the weekends.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Was i Neon on Camden St on Saturday night, fantastic asian street food at a reasonable price and make your own 99 ice cream after on the house. Really top notch curry selection, be warned jungle curry is mega hot, great starters as well crispy not greasy duck spring rolls. Two thumbs up!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Anyone been to Sawadee in Terenure or the Moroccan place on South William St?
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Avoid the Moroccan place, especially if you've any women in your group. It was one of the worst dining experiences of my life (I ranted in the er, rant thread about it).

If you do want Moroccan, then El Bahia near the Brown Thomas car park entrance is really lovely. The staff there are always very friendly and I've never had a bad meal.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Been to Sawadee with the missus, once. Nothing particularly wrong but maybe we're a bit picky with Thai (we did go on a cookery course in Thailand) and it wasn't to our taste. Too much sweet stuff (which is something that often happens in Thailand anyway) for me. I don't tend to like sugar in my mains.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Not sure if I've posted about it before but Quattro Pizza on Sussex Rd (just beside O'Brien's) is a nice little spot. Decent Italian food and a tasty wine/beer offering, They have a fantastic spicy pizza that's worth the visit and know how to do proper bruschietta.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

TerenureJim wrote:Not sure if I've posted about it before but Quattro Pizza on Sussex Rd (just beside O'Brien's) is a nice little spot. Decent Italian food and a tasty wine/beer offering, They have a fantastic spicy pizza that's worth the visit and know how to do proper bruschietta.
Plus one to this, especially the spicy pizza. However, Mrs Hippo was very unhappy with the cutlery which was straight out of a pound shop and was a surprising bum note for an otherwise pretty good establishment.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Ate out in Westport last night.

AMAZING food in an Italian restaurant called Enoteca.

I had the slow roast pork on the bone, it just was so tender, fell apart, just amazing. It came with lovely mash, and green beans wrapped in parma ham and pan fried (Sooooo good!).

Himself and his sister had the steak, which were huge and just so well cooked (I of course had to try). That came with veg and a sauce on the side, he chose the mushroom sauce, made with five different mushrooms. Had a bit of food envy, I must admit.

There's a real focus on fresh produce and almost everything is made to order, obviously the slow roast pork is cooked for several hours, but my god, it was great.

The wine was also really good and I'm not a big wine drinker.

The staff were just so friendly, really enthusiastic about the food, which added to the experience.

Had no room for dessert, but it all looked really good.

Definitely worth a visit.

Was very tempted by everything on the menu, but the waiter's description of the pork sold it for me.

Also worth trying is Everest, in Westport. It's a Nepalese restaurant. Really good food, the staff are so nice. You can eat in, or take away and there's no drop in quality for take away. A must try are the Momos :)
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Following Saba (Rathmines) and Diep (Ranelagh), Siam Thai have opened a take-away. It's in Ranelagh, where the pizza place used to be (the one that always looked closed, but claimed to have the best pizza in the world, opposite Pinocchio).

Haven't tried it yet, but menu looks like similar options but cheaper.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Had dinner in the Salt Cafe in Avoca Monkstown over the weekend. Superb. They had a seared tuna starter that was probably the best opening dish of a meal I've ever had.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

TheBear wrote:Following Saba (Rathmines) and Diep (Ranelagh), Siam Thai have opened a take-away. It's in Ranelagh, where the pizza place used to be (the one that always looked closed, but claimed to have the best pizza in the world, opposite Pinocchio).

Bianconi? Balls, I thought their delivery pizzas were some of the best around. Places like Diep and Saba need to cop on to the fact that if you're ordering a takeaway, you necessarily expect it to be a lot cheaper than a sit down meal in a restaurant. I've ordered from those places recently and you're lucky if you're getting change out of a 50 for a two-course meal for two people with no booze.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

tackle-bag wrote:
TheBear wrote:Following Saba (Rathmines) and Diep (Ranelagh), Siam Thai have opened a take-away. It's in Ranelagh, where the pizza place used to be (the one that always looked closed, but claimed to have the best pizza in the world, opposite Pinocchio).

Bianconi? Balls, I thought their delivery pizzas were some of the best around. Places like Diep and Saba need to cop on to the fact that if you're ordering a takeaway, you necessarily expect it to be a lot cheaper than a sit down meal in a restaurant. I've ordered from those places recently and you're lucky if you're getting change out of a 50 for a two-course meal for two people with no booze.
Siam Thai seems to be about €2-€3 cheaper for starters, €6-€8 cheaper for mains. Which still makes it expensive enough for a take-away, but if it's of a similar standard to the restaurant, then it's probably worth it.

Other places (such as Mario's in Terenure (and I presume their other branches too)) offer take-away, but it's the same price as the eat-in menu. Given that pasta carbonara (or whatever) is never going to taste as nice out of a foil container, I think it's a bit much to charge the same prices.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Got it after the gym last week, it was ok not as tasty as Saba or my new favourite thai Neon but better than Diep or Mao (Mao is terrible).
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

TerenureJim wrote:

Got it after the gym last week, it was ok not as tasty as Saba or my new favourite thai Neon but better than Diep or Mao (Mao is terrible).
Neon is very nice, and the free ice-cream after dinner is really nice, almost Teddy's quality.
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

honeyec wrote: Didn't leave a tip and won't be back. And that was on a Tuesday evening. I dread to think what it's like at the weekends.
made me think back to an episode of QI I was (re-)watching recently. In the States you still leave a tip if you are on the receiving end of bad service, but the norm is to leave the money under an upturned glass.
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Post by Project Scorpio »

Had it last night, really good place and delivers in about 15 mins. Think I prefer it to Kannum but will have to test both places again just to make sure ;-)

Had ribs to start and beef green curry for mains - both were great. Diep has nothing on this place...
Hank Scorpio: Homer, on your way out, if you want to kill somebody, it would help me a lot.