The comic thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: Batman Live

Post by RoboProp »

ruck wrote:
RoboProp wrote:Would it be too nerdy if somebody started off a comics/superhero thread? It seems Skinful, Dave Cahill, Peg Leg, Broken Wing and Terenure Jim are among the number of comics readers on here.
Count me in. I'm looking for recommendations as i've only recently gotten back into comics. Was a big Punisher fan when I was younger.
Downloaded the comixology app for Android and am currently working my way through the Legends of the Dark Knight series. Really enjoying it. Favourite so far is the Prey series with Hugo Strange is my favourite so far.

as a side note, looking forward to Strange now in Arkham City. :D
Can't wait looks class. Granted game play will be nothing like this but still I do love me a good Batman story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muCtJsy-d9w
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Comics & Graphic Novels

Post by Peg Leg »

Todays musings:

Can someone make the Name change??

Really looking forward to Arkham City. Hugo Strange is a great character. I'm a big fan of the "long Halloween" series, really glad they used bits of it in BB and TDK. No idea about the plot for the TDKR.

I'm sure its a given but if anyone is going to review any comic books / films on here *HIDE YOUR SPOILERS*

If anyone is interested in TDKR a great spoiler free site ishttp://www.batman-on-film.com good for more than just batman.

Really pissed that borders is closed down- that was my handiest fix.

Anyone looking for a one off Graphic Novel, I recommend Give me liberty, by frank miller.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

RoboProp wrote:
ruck wrote:
RoboProp wrote:Would it be too nerdy if somebody started off a comics/superhero thread? It seems Skinful, Dave Cahill, Peg Leg, Broken Wing and Terenure Jim are among the number of comics readers on here.
Count me in. I'm looking for recommendations as i've only recently gotten back into comics. Was a big Punisher fan when I was younger.
Downloaded the comixology app for Android and am currently working my way through the Legends of the Dark Knight series. Really enjoying it. Favourite so far is the Prey series with Hugo Strange is my favourite so far.

Can't wait looks class. Granted game play will be nothing like this but still I do love me a good Batman story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muCtJsy-d9w
I get giddy with excitement every time I see that trailer. The graphics in that trailer are unbelieveable, even as far as trailers go these days.

There's a part of Arkham city where you play as catwoman too, which I find a bit odd. Nice trailer though ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVYTlPgKsAI
I am the one who knocks!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: The comic thread

Post by TerenureJim »

Frank Miller's Ronin is a bit nuts but it's a quality read. Coming to a cinema near you soon no doubt.

Also a bit of a geek overload here but Marvel Zombies V Army of Darkness (yes as in Evil Dead III/Mediveal Dead) is worth a read for the laugh.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

ruck wrote:

Which Punisher do you like? I find the Garth Ennis Punisher to be a bit too much gore and not enough story. I know some folks would think it blasphemy but I didn't care for the Preacher either, it goes too often for shock value which I find all a bit meh.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

RoboProp wrote:
ruck wrote:

Which Punisher do you like? I find the Garth Ennis Punisher to be a bit too much gore and not enough story. I know some folks would think it blasphemy but I didn't care for the Preacher either, it goes too often for shock value which I find all a bit meh.
I really loved preacher (probably helped by my affinity to 200AD), thought some of the characters were fukn hilarious! However my favourite character throughout was always the saint of killers: who in the grand scheme of things has probably the most basic story arc of them all. Never picked up the punisher.
Daniel Sullivan
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

RoboProp wrote:
ruck wrote:

To be honest, I can't remember much if any of it these days. It was my early teens when I was reading those and there's been a lot of booze to erase the memory since then. I'll be downloading them soon enough now that I've discovered these comic readers for the phones. Smart phones are awesome :D
I am the one who knocks!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I stopped collecting comics after an intervention. I was collecting the guts of 23 regular titles a month, not including one-shots or limited runs. I recommend Avengers Forever by Kurt Busiek and Roger Stern with pencils by Carlos Pancheo. Also, really loved Marvels, again by Kurt Buskiek and painted by Alex Ross. As you may have guessed I love Marvel comics!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I address this to all of you individually!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

RoboProp wrote:Which Punisher do you like? I find the Garth Ennis Punisher to be a bit too much gore and not enough story. I know some folks would think it blasphemy but I didn't care for the Preacher either, it goes too often for shock value which I find all a bit meh.
Have to say I loved "Welcome Back Frank" in terms of Punisher. Haven't read anything that tops it in the Punisher universe. It was the basis for large parts of the IMO very underrated Thomas Jane Punisher movie.

Speaking of Garth Ennis, has anyone read The Boys? Supposed to be a top notch story.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

I really enjoyed Preacher when it first came out but I think that may have been more to do with it being like nothing else I had read. Now it reads a little like the child shouting fu(k repeatedly because it got a laugh the first time round. I thought the whole arseface thing was completely pointless.

I'd be more likely to reread Hitman than Preacher.

Haven't read the Boys but when I have flicked through it it's come across as more of the same going for the shock stuff.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I really liked the stuff Ennis wrote for Crisis, Troubled Souls and True Faith in particular.

And of course, who can forget his greatest ever creation, Judge Joyce of Murphyville!

I have Bumbleflex
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Cahill, I hate you for introducing me to Starman.
I am the one who knocks!
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

TerenureJim wrote:It was the basis for large parts of the IMO very underrated Thomas Jane Punisher movie.
I actually really enjoyed that. I dont know anybody else who did though.

The video game that came out on the PS2 was very enjoyable too. I loved sticking grenades in the baddie's mouths and running away. :D
I am the one who knocks!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ruck wrote:Cahill, I hate you for introducing me to Starman.

good, isn't it :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

The Judge Dredd Emerald Isle storyline is available in the Complete Case Files Vol 15.

I was surprised that Ennis didn't get a credit on that Punisher film as so much of it was just a straight transfer.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Dave Cahill wrote:
ruck wrote:Cahill, I hate you for introducing me to Starman.

good, isn't it :lol:
Yes it is. I particularly like "The Shade".
Interestingly, I think the artwork of The Shade and one of his attacks from the "tale of times passed" may have been more than a little inspiration for the video game the Darkness.

I am the one who knocks!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Is that game based on The Darkness comic that Garth Ennis wrote the opening arc for? He's credited as one of the creators of the character.

[edit] just checked Wikipedia and yes, it is based on the comics.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

It's a good game. Would look quite dated now if you were to play it though, as it was a very early release in the current generation of games.
Looking forward to The Darkness 2, which is out later this year though.
I am the one who knocks!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

ruck wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:It was the basis for large parts of the IMO very underrated Thomas Jane Punisher movie.
I actually really enjoyed that. I dont know anybody else who did though.

The video game that came out on the PS2 was very enjoyable too. I loved sticking grenades in the baddie's mouths and running away. :D
Would've been a great without John Travolta, otherwise enjoyable.
Daniel Sullivan