The Good Album Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby domhnallj » September 8th, 2015, 4:55 am

olaf the fat wrote:

OMG - have I just woke up in 1988?


You wish. :D
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
User avatar
domhnallj
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: May 19th, 2011, 9:12 am

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby olaf the fat » September 8th, 2015, 11:03 am

domhnallj wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:

OMG - have I just woke up in 1988?


You wish. :D


If I knew then, what I still dont now
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
User avatar
olaf the fat
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: April 5th, 2006, 11:35 am
Location: On the sofa of perpetual pleasure

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby Dave Cahill » December 4th, 2015, 11:18 am

Tom Dunne's Albums of 2015

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Tame Impala - Currents
Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
Sufjan Stevens -Carrie and Lowell
Jamie XX - In Colour
The Charlatans - Modern Nature
New Order - Music Complete
Blur - The Magic Whip
The Unthanks - Mount the Air
Richard Hawley - Hollow Meadows
The Tallest Man on Earth - Dark Bird is Home
Ron Sexsmith - Carousel One
John Grant - Grey Tickles, Black Pressure
Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
Paul Weller - Saturns Pattern
Kurt Vile - B’lieve I’m Goin Down
Mark Ronson - Uptown Special
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Multi-Love
Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass
Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness
Bob Dylan - Shadows in the Night
Sleater-Kinney - No Cities To Love
Low - Ones and Sixes
Yo La Tengo - Stuff Like That There
Laura Marling - Short Movie
Ghost Poet - Shedding Skin
Sun Kil Moon - Universal Themes
Robert Forster - Songs to Play
Deerhunter - Fading Frontier
Ibeyi - Ibeyi
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Chasing Yesterday
Samantha Crain - Under Branch and Thorn and Tree
EL VY - Return to the Moon
Foals - What Went Down
Beach House - Depression Cherry
The Libertines - Anthems for Doomed Youth
Jeff Lynne's ELO - Alone in the Universe
BC Camplight - How to Die in the North
Sweet Baboo - The Boombox Ballads
Cathal Smyth - A Comfortable Man
Mercury Rev - The Light In You
Keith Richards - Crosseyed Heart
Ryley Walker - Primrose Green
Andy Kim - It’s Decided
The Waterboys - Modern Blues
This Is the Kit - Bashed Out
Matthew E White - Fresh Blood
Lucero - All A Man Should Do
Tobias Jesso JR - Goon
Marc Almond - The Velvet Trail
The Pop Group - Citizen Zombie
Public Service Broadcasting - The Race for Space
Calexico- Edge of the Sun
Johnny Marr - Adrenalin Baby

Best Irish Albums of 2015

The Drays - Look Away Down Collins Avenue
Anderson - Patterns
Villagers - Darling Arithmetic
Eileen Gogan and The Instructions - The Spirit of Oberlin
Marc Carroll - Love Is All Or Love Is Not At All
Pugwash - Play This Intimately (As If Among Friends)
Soak - Before We Forgot How to Dream
Jape - This Chemical Sea
Therapy? - Disquiet
Oliver Cole - Year of the Bird
Fight Like Apes - Fight Like Apes
Le Galaxie - Le Club
The Strypes - Little Victories
John Blek & the Rats - Borders
Lisa Lambe - Lisa Lambe
Girl Band - Holding Hands With Jamie
Ash - Kablammo!
Colm Mac Con Iomaire - And Now the Weather / Agus Anois An Aimsir
The Hedge Schools - At The End of a Winding Day
Róisín Murphy - Hairless Toys
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 20471
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby Peg Leg » December 4th, 2015, 1:16 pm

Dave Cahill wrote:Tom Dunne's Albums of 2015

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Tame Impala - Currents
Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
Sufjan Stevens -Carrie and Lowell
Jamie XX - In Colour
The Charlatans - Modern Nature
New Order - Music Complete
Blur - The Magic Whip
The Unthanks - Mount the Air
Richard Hawley - Hollow Meadows
The Tallest Man on Earth - Dark Bird is Home
Ron Sexsmith - Carousel One
John Grant - Grey Tickles, Black Pressure
Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
Paul Weller - Saturns Pattern
Kurt Vile - B’lieve I’m Goin Down
Mark Ronson - Uptown Special
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Multi-Love
Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass
Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness
Bob Dylan - Shadows in the Night
Sleater-Kinney - No Cities To Love
Low - Ones and Sixes
Yo La Tengo - Stuff Like That There
Laura Marling - Short Movie
Ghost Poet - Shedding Skin
Sun Kil Moon - Universal Themes
Robert Forster - Songs to Play
Deerhunter - Fading Frontier
Ibeyi - Ibeyi
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Chasing Yesterday
Samantha Crain - Under Branch and Thorn and Tree
EL VY - Return to the Moon
Foals - What Went Down
Beach House - Depression Cherry
The Libertines - Anthems for Doomed Youth
Jeff Lynne's ELO - Alone in the Universe
BC Camplight - How to Die in the North
Sweet Baboo - The Boombox Ballads
Cathal Smyth - A Comfortable Man
Mercury Rev - The Light In You
Keith Richards - Crosseyed Heart
Ryley Walker - Primrose Green
Andy Kim - It’s Decided
The Waterboys - Modern Blues
This Is the Kit - Bashed Out
Matthew E White - Fresh Blood
Lucero - All A Man Should Do
Tobias Jesso JR - Goon
Marc Almond - The Velvet Trail
The Pop Group - Citizen Zombie
Public Service Broadcasting - The Race for Space
Calexico- Edge of the Sun
Johnny Marr - Adrenalin Baby

Best Irish Albums of 2015

The Drays - Look Away Down Collins Avenue
Anderson - Patterns
Villagers - Darling Arithmetic
Eileen Gogan and The Instructions - The Spirit of Oberlin
Marc Carroll - Love Is All Or Love Is Not At All
Pugwash - Play This Intimately (As If Among Friends)
Soak - Before We Forgot How to Dream
Jape - This Chemical Sea
Therapy? - Disquiet
Oliver Cole - Year of the Bird
Fight Like Apes - Fight Like Apes
Le Galaxie - Le Club
The Strypes - Little Victories
John Blek & the Rats - Borders
Lisa Lambe - Lisa Lambe
Girl Band - Holding Hands With Jamie
Ash - Kablammo!
Colm Mac Con Iomaire - And Now the Weather / Agus Anois An Aimsir
The Hedge Schools - At The End of a Winding Day
Róisín Murphy - Hairless Toys


They rated in terms of best/worst?
Le Galaxie are irish? Brilliant. Never looked into it but assumed the were french for some reason.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 7976
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby Dave Cahill » December 4th, 2015, 1:24 pm

Nope, no order
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 20471
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby Peg Leg » December 4th, 2015, 1:44 pm

Dave Cahill wrote:Nope, no order

there's some muck in there all the same
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 7976
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby Dave Cahill » December 4th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Peg Leg wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Nope, no order

there's some muck in there all the same


Thats no doubt the case!

I liked these

Tame Impala - Currents
Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
The Charlatans - Modern Nature
Blur - The Magic Whip
Richard Hawley - Hollow Meadows
Ron Sexsmith - Carousel One
John Grant - Grey Tickles, Black Pressure
Sleater-Kinney - No Cities To Love
Yo La Tengo - Stuff Like That There
Sun Kil Moon - Universal Themes
Robert Forster - Songs to Play
EL VY - Return to the Moon
Mercury Rev - The Light In You
Villagers - Darling Arithmetic
Jape - This Chemical Sea
Therapy? - Disquiet
Fight Like Apes - Fight Like Apes
Le Galaxie - Le Club
The Hedge Schools - At The End of a Winding Day
Róisín Murphy - Hairless Toys

I also really liked the new albums from Chrvches, Grimes and by Iron and Wine & Ben Bridewell
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 20471
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby Oldschoolsocks » December 4th, 2015, 4:47 pm

Is this just a list of every album Dunne listened to this year?
the irony being that ad-hominen and appeal to majority are the most often used defences of the apologist.
User avatar
Oldschoolsocks
Mullet
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: January 4th, 2015, 11:36 am
Location: Stepping out of the Supernova

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby TerenureJim » December 8th, 2015, 10:59 pm

That's a hell of a list.

Really enjoyed the Ash and Blur offerings this year. Listebping to a bit of Tame Impala of late too.
User avatar
TerenureJim
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4933
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 10:09 am

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby olaf the fat » December 9th, 2015, 1:50 pm

Only know of about 13 on that list, which is an improvement on last year!
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
User avatar
olaf the fat
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: April 5th, 2006, 11:35 am
Location: On the sofa of perpetual pleasure

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby fourthirtythree » December 9th, 2015, 3:00 pm

I like Girl Band and a few others on that list but mostly it's all of the middle brow worthy "indie" this year. I've listened to quite a few on there during the course of the year and few made much of a mark.

I'm not a huge Sufjan Stevens fan (I listen to his christmas records and that's about it) but I have been told by many that his recent set is brilliant.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8498
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby jezzer » December 9th, 2015, 5:31 pm

Libertines album is really good.
Blur also.
Ron Sexsmith one not as good as many previous offerings.
Tame Impala's is good, but for me I have to compare everything to the cracking single Elephant and a lot of their stuff doesn't match up to that level.

Everyone raving about Father John Misty. Haven't dabbled yet, but might have to.

Roisin Murphy's album is a little too avant garde for my taste, but she's a hell of a songwriter and singer.

Not a big hip hop listener but Kendrick Lamar's album is musically very well done (huge p-funk element to it, which I'm a sucker for) and lyrically a big step up form the majority of shite you hear.
User avatar
jezzer
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 7108
Joined: February 1st, 2006, 12:41 pm

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby Peg Leg » December 9th, 2015, 5:54 pm

Really enjoying the following:
Stop reading if you don't like sigur ros:

ok ikumi, melodium & depth affect.

excellent productivity music
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 7976
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby Hippo » December 10th, 2015, 8:11 pm

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Is this just a list of every album Dunne listened to this year?


:clap:
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
User avatar
Hippo
Mullet
 
Posts: 1935
Joined: January 16th, 2007, 1:48 pm
Location: D4. Yes, D4.

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby Hippo » December 10th, 2015, 8:15 pm

Anyway - The Wanderings of the Avener by The Avener, and Morning Phase from Beck. Honourable mention for Sleater Kinney.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
User avatar
Hippo
Mullet
 
Posts: 1935
Joined: January 16th, 2007, 1:48 pm
Location: D4. Yes, D4.

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby Lamb of BOD » December 15th, 2015, 1:38 am

(My) Top 10 albums this year (in order)

1. Iron Maiden The Book of Souls
2. Children of Bodom I Worship Chaos
3. Abigail Williams The Accuser
4. Deafheaven New Bermuda
5. Amorphis Under The Red Cloud
6. Swallow The Sun Songs From The North I, II & III
7. Tribulation Children Of The Night
8. Lamb Of God VII: Sturm Und Drang
9. False Untitled
10. Gorgoroth Instinctus Beastialis
User avatar
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened
 
Posts: 809
Joined: June 27th, 2012, 3:46 pm
Location: Caught Somewhere In Time

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby Oldschoolsocks » December 15th, 2015, 2:31 am

Lamb of BOD wrote:(My) Top 10 albums this year (in order)

1. Iron Maiden The Book of Souls
2. Children of Bodom I Worship Chaos
3. Abigail Williams The Accuser
4. Deafheaven New Bermuda
5. Amorphis Under The Red Cloud
6. Swallow The Sun Songs From The North I, II & III
7. Tribulation Children Of The Night
8. Lamb Of God VII: Sturm Und Drang
9. False Untitled
10. Gorgoroth Instinctus Beastialis


This is some shameful sh!t here Lamb of BOD, does Justin Beiber Purpose not even get an honourable mention?
the irony being that ad-hominen and appeal to majority are the most often used defences of the apologist.
User avatar
Oldschoolsocks
Mullet
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: January 4th, 2015, 11:36 am
Location: Stepping out of the Supernova

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby Lamb of BOD » December 15th, 2015, 10:54 am

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
This is some shameful sh!t here Lamb of BOD, does Justin Beiber Purpose not even get an honourable mention?

Rats, in my deliberations as to how high I could put him - or, indeed, if I needed to create another category for him alone - I neglected to put him in there at all. Silly me
User avatar
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened
 
Posts: 809
Joined: June 27th, 2012, 3:46 pm
Location: Caught Somewhere In Time

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby Peg Leg » January 29th, 2016, 5:55 pm

John Hopkins.
Great stuff.
Ranging from the genre Electronica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q04ILDXe3QE
to
the appropriately defined genre (taken form utube comments), feeling like some sort of goat on a windy mountain side overlooking a vast haunted ocean:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqKVvaCN5M8
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 7976
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: The Good Album Thread

Postby Dave Cahill » January 29th, 2016, 6:31 pm

On Twitter at the weekend I described Clancy and Fitzgibbon as "the worlds worst electropop duo, and I've heard Blancmange". Neil Arthur (Blancmange) replied objecting to the comparison ( :lol: ) - which came a surprise - but was sound.

So not having actually listened to Blancmange since I was in my early teens, I decided to listen to their most recent album, 'Semi Detached', and damn me if it wasn't actually rather good. So that was me back in my box!
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 20471
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest