The Good Album Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: The Good Album Thread

Post by Dave Cahill »

mikey wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:At the risk of ridicule and banishment from the forum has anyone listened to the new Coldplay album?

i've not, but this man did...

http://thequietus.com/articles/15274-co ... ies-review
Still not the best album review ever, that appeared in Select Magazine back in 1994. The entire review is reproduced below

Bryan Adams
Live! Live! Live!
A&M

sh!t! sh!t! sh!t!
I have Bumbleflex
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

La Roux album out soon. Must say I'm looking forward to it.

Not sure if it is still the same sessions as Nile Rodgers produced/co-wrote.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Not exactly an album...yet. Sad I missed this gig.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 35542.html
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

If you dont mind me heading back to my youth, a time so long ago I even had hair can I commend to your delectation and delight The Chameleons.

Any of their first 3 albums - just an awesome sound and quite how they have remained what seems a closely guarded secret for so long who knows.

Their first album was Script of the Bridge - found in its entirety on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOW8hFJYl9Y

What does anything mean ? Basically - this was album 2, and And strange times was album 3 - they are all awesome!
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

Dave Cahill wrote:
mikey wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:At the risk of ridicule and banishment from the forum has anyone listened to the new Coldplay album?

i've not, but this man did...

http://thequietus.com/articles/15274-co ... ies-review
Still not the best album review ever, that appeared in Select Magazine back in 1994. The entire review is reproduced below

Bryan Adams
Live! Live! Live!
A&M

sh!t! sh!t! sh!t!
Marty DiBergi - The review for "Shark Sandwich" was merely a two word review which simply read "sh!t Sandwich".
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Not quite a good album post (although they do have a new release, I just haven't got round to buying it yet), but I'm very much looking forward to seeing Rodrigo y Gabriella this evening. I've never had the pleasure before but a friend used to play with them way back when, and he said they put on a great show.
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

Lamb of BOD wrote:Not quite a good album post (although they do have a new release, I just haven't got round to buying it yet), but I'm very much looking forward to seeing Rodrigo y Gabriella this evening. I've never had the pleasure before but a friend used to play with them way back when, and he said they put on a great show.
They were busking on Grafton St today.
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

Radio Moscow: Magical Dirt

They remind me of a cross between the guitar sound of Hendrix & the rhythm section of Sabbath.

Also a lotta good metal albums out

Mastodon: Once more 'round the sun.

Killer be Killed: with Greg Puciato from Dillenger, Max Cavalera, Dave Elitch from Mars Volta and Troy Sanders from Mastodon.

Coldrain: The Revelation (Japanese metal band, good blend of powerful riffs & anthemic choruses)

For those of you who have a proclivity for rap or RnB:

Mayday X Murs: Mursday

On the old school note , I've been listening to Rocket from the crypt: Scream, Dracula, Scream.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Lamb of BOD wrote:Not quite a good album post (although they do have a new release, I just haven't got round to buying it yet), but I'm very much looking forward to seeing Rodrigo y Gabriella this evening. I've never had the pleasure before but a friend used to play with them way back when, and he said they put on a great show.
Liked them for a while. The Metallica/Led Zep covers are good enough too.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Morf wrote:
Liked them for a while. The Metallica/Led Zep covers are good enough too.
they were excellent last night at Glastonbury (not that I was there, just on the TV!!)
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

The Mexican thrash metal guitarists playing acoustic thing wore off for me after a while but they certainly are good at what they do.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

band of brothers willie nelson well worth a listen
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

If you like your "slightly haunted and melancholy" male singer-songwriter a la Ray LaMontagne, Jeff Buckley, Nick Cave, certain Springsteen et al, you'll enjoy the new album By the Rule from a guy called Mick Flannery.

I like a bit of LaMontagne but could give or take the rest. I'm enjoying Flannery's album though.
BarryP
Knowledgeable

Post by BarryP »

jezzer wrote:If you like your "slightly haunted and melancholy" male singer-songwriter a la Ray LaMontagne, Jeff Buckley, Nick Cave, certain Springsteen et al, you'll enjoy the new album By the Rule from a guy called Mick Flannery.

I like a bit of LaMontagne but could give or take the rest. I'm enjoying Flannery's album though.
His first album ('white lies')is class. He won some award for that from a committee of judges that included Tom Waits, so high praise. Not bad for a lad who works as a stone mason.

La Montagnes first album ('trouble') is top notch. Thought Ethan Johns over-produced his follow up effort though and kind of lost him then. Nice guy; bought him a pint once.

Stephen Fretwells album 'magpie' is worth checking out if that male with a guitar is your thing. His song 'run!' Was used as the theme to Gavin & Stacey.

New 'War on Drugs' is great.
Phosphorescent is decent - will be supporting The National in Iveagh Gardens soon.
Augustine (or We are Augustines as they went by for their first album) is good.

And anything by the Walkmen is just class. Last album 'Heaven' is genius from start to end .
No feelings. You don't win 'em all, you don't love 'em all, you keep on fighting and if you need a friend, get a dog."
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

jezzer wrote:If you like your "slightly haunted and melancholy" male singer-songwriter a la Ray LaMontagne, Jeff Buckley, Nick Cave, certain Springsteen et al, you'll enjoy the new album By the Rule from a guy called Mick Flannery.

Hold on. This type of muck is ok but pink Floyd are not. :shock:

What kind of world are we living in?
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

A friend of mine joined the band Xerath a while back, and their first offering (their third full release) will be out soon (last I heard they'd delayed the release till early September to allow the Yanks to promote it over there). I;ve heard a sneak preview of one of the album tracks and it's brilliant - their old stuff is really good, but the new(-ish) direction of the band is excellent. They'll be gigging around the UK to launch the record, and are hoping to come over here for a gig or two as well. The album is imaginatively entitled 'III' btw.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Awesome Mix Tape Vol. 1 has been on repeat on all forms of iPad, iPhone, iPod going round mine guests and relatives tastes and wishes irrespective for the last month. Epic.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Royal Blood - enjoying this very much.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

Hippo wrote:Royal Blood - enjoying this very much.
Great album, 30mins of pure rock! They were unbelievable at the Reading Festival.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

ichabodscrane wrote:
Hippo wrote:Royal Blood - enjoying this very much.
Great album, 30mins of pure rock! They were unbelievable at the Reading Festival.
These boys will go far
AKA Peter O'Sullivan