The Good Album Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: The Good Album Thread

Post by TerenureJim »

Anyone have opinions on "Isles of Wonder" worth picking up? Does it differ much from the actual opening ceremony?
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

TerenureJim wrote:Anyone have opinions on "Isles of Wonder" worth picking up? Does it differ much from the actual opening ceremony?
According to reviews on Amazon there are some missing tracks - 'tiger feet' being a notable for its omission :lol:
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

domhnallj wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Anyone have opinions on "Isles of Wonder" worth picking up? Does it differ much from the actual opening ceremony?
According to reviews on Amazon there are some missing tracks - 'tiger feet' being a notable for its omission :lol:
I've had a listen and there is a huge amount missing, infact what you get is mostly the Underworld ambient background music rather than the trip through the ages or songs about London which were featured. I thought they'd be in the mix of the tunes played but they're not and it's still 2 and a half hours long. Not worth buying IMO.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

TerenureJim wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
I've had a listen and there is a huge amount missing, infact what you get is mostly the Underworld ambient background music rather than the trip through the ages or songs about London which were featured. I thought they'd be in the mix of the tunes played but they're not and it's still 2 and a half hours long. Not worth buying IMO.
Well get yourself a copy of the Mark Lanegan Bands' Blues Funeral - it's a great album (and shorter), cheer up!
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The quest to dig out all the good stuff I missed out on over the yrs continues-
I have just discovered LCD Soundsystem, now I knew a band by the name of LCD Soundsystem existed and as it turned out I knew some of their songs. What I didn't know was that it was one band that played all of those wonderful tracks!!!

Sound of Silver gets an A+
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Peg Leg wrote:The quest to dig out all the good stuff I missed out on over the yrs continues-
I have just discovered LCD Soundsystem, now I knew a band by the name of LCD Soundsystem existed and as it turned out I knew some of their songs. What I didn't know was that it was one band that played all of those wonderful tracks!!!

Sound of Silver gets an A+
Wow you've been missing out on quite a bit there
Metal
Bookworm

Post by Metal »

The Kane Gang 'The Bad & Low Down World Of' One of the hidden jems of the 80's
Also for those NIN afficionados, some of Gary Numans latest stuff could be worth checking out, 'Pure' or 'Dead Son Rising' I'd suggest.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

James Horner's score to Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan put simply it is epic

Also since watching Ted I find myself listening to the Flash Gordon OST a hell of a lot on my cycle commute, can't fail to put a smile on the face.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Tenacious D - Rize of the Fenix
I wish rock bands made songs as catchy as these guys, some genre spanning rif/rips galore.
Love it!
Daniel Sullivan
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Hot Cakes by The Darkness...........had heard mixed reviews but got it at the weekend and am delighted....not as good as their debut album(Permission to Land-an absolute classic) but very good nonetheless.........

Welcome back Justin,Dan et al.......
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Peg Leg wrote:Tenacious D - Rize of the Fenix
I wish rock bands made songs as catchy as these guys, some genre spanning rif/rips galore.
Love it!
Did you get tickets for the Point gig in October Peg? Going to be class, shame they're not in the Olympia, Point is a big stage for two people even if they are plus sized.

Their first album was obligatory listening in college.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Tenacious D - Rize of the Fenix
Love it!
Did you get tickets for the Point gig in October Peg? Going to be class, shame they're not in the Olympia, Point is a big stage for two people even if they are plus sized.

Their first album was obligatory listening in college.
Has it sold out? Not sure I'll be in attendance though (as much as I'd like to be), can't win em'all!
I know "the pick of destiny" was panned (both film and soundtrack), never watched the film but really enjoyed the album.
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Currently very much enjoying Van Halen greatest hits collection.

New Mumford & Sons album is worth a listen, as is the Dredd OST (nicely industrial)
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

The new Muse album (2nd law) is amazing. Like all their albums, you have to listen to it through a couple of times before it clicks. Proper rock stars. It's so rare these days to find a band that can actually make a cohesive album that has a proper identity. They have managed it a few times in a row now. Matthew Bellamy is a genius.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Soundgardens new offering 'King Animal' would make a great stocking filler for the ageing rocker in your life.

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

New My Bloody Valentine album 'MBV' out now...this is not a drill, its actually out, in the real world!
I have Bumbleflex
Eristic
Knowledgeable

Post by Eristic »

Dave Cahill wrote:New My Bloody Valentine album 'MBV' out now...this is not a drill, its actually out, in the real world!
When the website crashed last night I was certain it was a hoax.
It wasn't!

Vinyl, CD and MP3 purchased.
Noel Reid and James Rodriguez were separated at birth.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

These are obviously the end of days as foretold.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

The new Nick Cave & the Bad Seed album "Push the Sky Away"

Excellent stuff
A proud Winsome Fluter
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:The new Nick Cave & the Bad Seed album "Push the Sky Away"