Post by Peg Leg »

Enjoying London Grammar
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: The Good Album Thread

Post by Peg Leg »

Just picked up, Beck's new album Morning Phase. Lovely album, I think this what the national wish they could sound like.
Daniel Sullivan
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Peg Leg wrote:Just picked up, Beck's new album Morning Phase. Lovely album, I think this what the national wish they could sound like.
Ha, nicely put!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Stone Temple Pilots have a new EP out. Good stuff.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
BarryP
Knowledgeable

Post by BarryP »

Speaking of bands a la the National (of whom I am a massive fan, although the last album wasn't as solid), "The Walkmen" are arguably the best of the Brooklyn-based bunch to have emerged around the early Naughties (out around the same time as the Strokes, Interpol etc.).

Their last two albums "Lisbon" and "Heaven" are brilliant, and an amazing progression from their earliest (and best known "hit") 'The Rat' from the album "Bows + Arrows". Their gig in Vicar St in 2012 was one of the best I've seen in donkey's years (arguably since the National in the Olympia in 2010).

They have been on hiatus since Christmas, but I would seriously recommend people to check out their stuff.

Also, a decent site for checking out reviews of movies, tv and music is www.avclub.com.
No feelings. You don't win 'em all, you don't love 'em all, you keep on fighting and if you need a friend, get a dog."
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Listening to Eminem Recovery. First time to listen to a rap album outside of NWA (wasn't a fan back then, but will give it a go again soon).
Great gym album, there's a time and a place for it, but it is very enjoyable.
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Peg Leg wrote:Listening to Eminem Recovery. First time to listen to a rap album outside of NWA (wasn't a fan back then, but will give it a go again soon).
You sir have a world to explore. Highly recommend exploring De La Soul Greatest Hits and 3 Feet High & Rising, also the entirety of the Beastie Boys.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Jurassic 5 are worth a listen, Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy were brilliant too.
I have Bumbleflex
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

domhnallj wrote:Stone Temple Pilots have a new EP out. Good stuff.
Well I enjoyed the new Pearl Jam (a bit soft in places but decent enough). Soundgardens latest was awesome. Looking forward to this one.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Peg Leg wrote:Listening to Eminem Recovery. First time to listen to a rap album outside of NWA (wasn't a fan back then, but will give it a go again soon).
I'd skew my listening towards the right end of this graph rather than the left for preference.

http://rappers.mdaniels.com.s3-website- ... onaws.com/

The quote at the end of the page is really interesting.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Dave Cahill wrote:Jurassic 5 are worth a listen, Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy were brilliant too.
And - a Tribe Called Quest, true kings of the genre.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Changing the mood entirely, the new Natalie Merchant is several types of excellent.
A proud Winsome Fluter
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Rather enjoying the latest offering by Candian techno-metalists Voi Vod - Target Earth, for a taster follow the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyvR6kOy ... e=youtu.be
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

At the risk of ridicule and banishment from the forum has anyone listened to the new Coldplay album?
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

TerenureJim wrote:At the risk of ridicule and banishment from the forum has anyone listened to the new Coldplay album?
A tumbleweed emoticon would come in handy at this point.

The new Cherry Ghost offering is out later this month - should be good.

Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Enjoying the Damon Albarn one as well.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

domhnallj wrote:Rather enjoying the latest offering by Candian techno-metalists Voi Vod - Target Earth, for a taster follow the link...

Not bad at all. Listening to that, I;ve realised I haven't listened to Voivod since Angel Rat. Dimension Hatross remains my favourite, but I'll give the rest of Target Earth a whirl. Seems wrong not hearing Piggy tearing it up, but life moves on ....
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Lamb of BOD wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Rather enjoying the latest offering by Candian techno-metalists Voi Vod - Target Earth, for a taster follow the link...

Not bad at all. Listening to that, I;ve realised I haven't listened to Voivod since Angel Rat. Dimension Hatross remains my favourite, but I'll give the rest of Target Earth a whirl. Seems wrong not hearing Piggy tearing it up, but life moves on ....
Yeah, Dimension Hatross is their best album although I retain a soft spot for Killing Technology (basically anything not influenced by a certain ex-Metallica bass player).

BarryP
Knowledgeable

Post by BarryP »

Eels latests ("The Cautionary Tales of mark Oliver Everett") is another top notch album from a man who simply doesn't release poor material (be it album, book or documentary). Further to a post earlier, Beck's "Mourning Phase" and "Sea Change" would be more in line with Eels stuff than that of The National (to my mind).

War on Drugs latest is excellent also - and tickets still available for their show in Vicar St next week.
No feelings. You don't win 'em all, you don't love 'em all, you keep on fighting and if you need a friend, get a dog."
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

TerenureJim wrote:At the risk of ridicule and banishment from the forum has anyone listened to the new Coldplay album?

i've not, but this man did...

http://thequietus.com/articles/15274-co ... ies-review