Documentaries to See Before You Die

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Documentaries to See Before You Die

Post by Donny B. »

Inside Job - Oscar-winning documentary about the systematic corruption of the Worldwide financial system and how it led to the current debt crisis.

On tonight on BBC2 at 9.00
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

ribs wrote:Gasland. I've seen it twice already. Deals with probably the only environmental area that I actually worry about: water. After you have watched this, don't be fooled that it is just in the US. I'm noticing the preponderances of "natural gas" and "shale" mentions around the world, most recently in victoria, aussieland.
I hate quoting my own posts, but after today's IT story, I'd recommend watching this before it becomes a big debate in Ireland in 2013:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 54032.html
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

ribs wrote:
ribs wrote:Gasland. I've seen it twice already. Deals with probably the only environmental area that I actually worry about: water. After you have watched this, don't be fooled that it is just in the US. I'm noticing the preponderances of "natural gas" and "shale" mentions around the world, most recently in victoria, aussieland.
I hate quoting my own posts, but after today's IT story, I'd recommend watching this before it becomes a big debate in Ireland in 2013:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 54032.html
It's actually a very balanced article. In fairness we need to get energy supplies from somewhere so unless you fancy a nuclear plant down in Wexford we do need to consider these things.....
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Not to into international current affairs but really enjoying 'Putin, Russia and the West' (on bbc2 thurs nights). Fascinating stuff altogether. 2 eps in from 4
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Donny B. wrote:Inside Job - Oscar-winning documentary about the systematic corruption of the Worldwide financial system and how it led to the current debt crisis.

I wouldn't generally be a fan of the Ferguson/Marrs axis - a bit overly lefty for my liking. However, I have to say that 'Inside Job' remains probably the best documentary I've ever seen.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

tackle-bag wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Inside Job - Oscar-winning documentary about the systematic corruption of the Worldwide financial system and how it led to the current debt crisis.

I wouldn't generally be a fan of the Ferguson/Marrs axis - a bit overly lefty for my liking. However, I have to say that 'Inside Job' remains probably the best documentary I've ever seen.

You should read inside the doomsday machine by michael lewis
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Post by Project Scorpio »

Have been watching a few on Netflix and have a few more to see going by whats posted on this thread.

Collapse - Either about a batshjt crazy looney or everyone start to PANIC.

Food Inc - Really enjoyed it, it's amazing how much power corporations are afforded

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price - See Food Inc

Next up Gasland, Religulous and Mugabe and the White African. Between Aplle tv and netflix I have a ton of these to watch.
Hank Scorpio: Homer, on your way out, if you want to kill somebody, it would help me a lot.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Cracking website for all documentary heads out there. http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/ Everything under the sun
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

'Boucers' on 4od....
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

30 from 30 as reccommended by Brian Murphy from the Us sports section of newstalk is on ESPN tonight.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

Adam Curtis's documentaries are very good. Most of them are 3 hr series featured on the BBC. Well worth a watch if you can find them. The first doc below is interesting as it shows what Edward Bernays (the father of public relations, marketing and government propaganda) thought of people; basically sheep to be herded towards any political ideology or commercial product that profited him. Think you are a free spirit that beats your trail, this may upset your sense of self.

The subject matter of the rest is diverse but they are all good.

The Century of the Self:
How Freud's discoveries concerning the unconscious led to Edward Bernays' development of public relations, the use of desire over need and self-actualisation as a means of achieving economic growth and the political control of population.

Pandora's Box:
The dangers of technocratic and political rationality.

The Power of Nightmares:
Suggested a parallel between the rise of Islamism in the Arab world and Neoconservatism in the United States in that both needed to inflate a myth of a dangerous enemy in order to draw people to support them.

The Trap — What Happened to our Dream of Freedom:
The modern concept of freedom.

All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace:
The computer as a model of the world around us.

The Mayfair Set:
How buccaneer capitalists were allowed to shape the climate of the Thatcher years, focusing on the rise of Colonel David Stirling, Jim Slater, James Goldsmith, and Tiny Rowland, all members of The Clermont club in the 1960s.

Inside Story: The Road To Terror:
How the Iranian Revolution turned from idealism to terror. Draws parallels with the French Revolution two hundred years earlier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Curtis#Filmography
#ScrapTheLions
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Enjoyed the Paxman documentary "Empire", tracing the rise and fall of the British Empire. The first one detailing British-Indian relations is particularly good (probably the best one of the five). The political back stabbing sounds like it's come straight from a novel.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Under African Skies is out tomorrow on limited release in the cinema.

It's the story of the making of Paul Simon's classic 'Graceland' album and the political turmoil it created. Terrific piece of work, particularly if, like me, you're a fan of the album.
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Donny B. wrote:Under African Skies is out tomorrow on limited release in the cinema.

It's the story of the making of Paul Simon's classic 'Graceland' album and the political turmoil it created. Terrific piece of work, particularly if, like me, you're a fan of the album.
Sounds good. Sky Arts do a classic albums show and Graceland was covered in the series - well worth looking up, for the african band talking about how they came up with the riffs in a london studio alone.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
BarryP
Knowledgeable

Post by BarryP »

Given they are both playing the Isle of Wight festival this weekend, could be timely to view
1. Running Down a Dream - by Peter Bogdanovich. A 4 hour epic covering the hostory and carear of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
2. PJ20 - Cameron Corowes love letter to Pearl Jam - It's alright; nothing there a fan wouldn't know already, but watchable.

Both on BBC4 regularly enough. The Petty one in particular is brilliant.
No feelings. You don't win 'em all, you don't love 'em all, you keep on fighting and if you need a friend, get a dog."
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

StrangeButBlue wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Under African Skies is out tomorrow on limited release in the cinema.

Sounds good. Sky Arts do a classic albums show and Graceland was covered in the series - well worth looking up, for the african band talking about how they came up with the riffs in a london studio alone.
Think I saw that alright. Was pretty good.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

For anyone who's interested this is on tomorrow evening on BBC1 at 10.35 as part of the Imagine series.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

If you get a chance to see it, 'How to Survive a Plague' is exceptional. Documentary about the emergence of AIDS and the history of the movement that fought for support. I was born in 1980, so I knew very little about the history of all of this.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Sarphil
Enlightened

Post by Sarphil »

Murder on a Sunday morning - about a young black man accused of murder based on some really dodgy evidence. Excellent documentary and terrifying too.

Catfish - story of an American who befriends a girl on Facebook who is not what she seems.

The Pipe - about the Corrib gas pipeline.

Will try and think of more...
'la vista che m'apparve d'un leone
Questi parea che contra me venisse
con la test'alta e con rabbiosa fame,
sì che parea che l'aere ne tremesse'
INFERNO CANTO 01

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Sarphil wrote:Murder on a Sunday morning - about a young black man accused of murder based on some really dodgy evidence. Excellent documentary and terrifying too.

Catfish - story of an American who befriends a girl on Facebook who is not what she seems.

The Pipe - about the Corrib gas pipeline.

Will try and think of more...
Is Catfish a documentary though?