Documentaries to See Before You Die

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Leinster Exile
Mullet

Re: Documentaries to See Before You Die

Post by Leinster Exile »

"The Kid Stays in the Picture" Hollywood Producer Robert Evans life as by himself. Less a documentary, more Bob Evans slowly massaging his own incredible ego
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

icebaby wrote:This is great new food for thought, other than Senna I've never heard of any of them, my own favourite was one about the theory of a Tsunami between Japan and Seattle that happens every few hundred years and is due to wipe out Microsoft base any day now
Don't suppose you know where I could find the tsunami one? Google comes up with some info about it but can't see any documentary.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:The vice guide to North Korea. They've a great documentary on Liberia too.

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide- ... rea-1-of-3
It would be an excellent doc if the presenter didn't subscribe to some of the sensationalist reporting himself. I love how he left out the US and S Korean propeganda when he was at the DMZ :)

In fairness, he captures the mood of Pyongyang very well. Some of the stuff is absolutely hilarious - love the dinner scene on his first day.

I must say, I always enjoy watching Michael Palin - I think his Full Circle series was fantastic, even if a little bit old. I love sports/history and geography docs, so any more links here would be great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3nzKPEa20k
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Suisse have you ventured north since you've been out that way? I'd love to go just to see how strange it is.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I haven't, no. My plan is to do NK in either May or September 2012. I've a couple of friends here who made the trip up. Unbelievably expensive to get there and move around (a min of $750 they were saying, up to a $1000). One lad was saying a German girl was expelled from the country because she was openly criticising the propeganda that goes on. Why are people so stupid? You know this is what you're in for, so take the photos, smile and get on with it. They used to allow tours from SK to NK (without having to go through Beijing) but they were indefinitely suspended because an Australian woman decided to wake up early and go for a walk from her hotel. The NK soldiers shot her dead. Absolutely crazy over-reaction, but, again, you know what you're in for.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's insane! I hate when people refuse to follow simple rules but that's just an astonishing reaction. Didn't realise they used to do cross border trips actually, hard to imagine that now. I was really surprised last year at how expensive flights around Asia were but didn't think it'd be the same for NK, pity. Give us a full account of it if you ever do manage to make it anyway!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

One for those with Korean interests, this was in the Irish Times Travel Section a few weeks back:

Demilitarised zone

If you are in Korea, the demilitarised zone that marks the end of capitalist South Korea and the beginning of communist North Korea, is a must-see. After my stay in Golgulsa I made my way back north to see it for myself.

The first item on the tour was the Freedom Bridge at Imjin River. My group disembarked from our tour bus and made our way along an old wooden bridge, which was boarded up a little way along. At that point there was a wall draped in South Korean flags and messages from southern families for their northern relatives, whom they can no longer see due to the strict border controls.

A short drive from the Freedom Bridge was the DMZ Information Centre, with a 180-degree video wall. The lights dimmed and a video was shown that explained how South Korea had prospered since its independence; how poor North Korea is; and how the DMZ is a wonder of nature – untouched by man for over 50 years.

Yes, the DMZ is believed by conservationists to be a treasure trove of indigenous species. But, no one can set foot in the area due to an estimated three million landmines dotting the land.

Because of the landmines, the North Korean army realised it needed a different way to invade the South. The communist state therefore decided to build four tunnels under the DMZ to its southern neighbour’s land. With the help of a North Korean defector, the South uncovered the Third Infiltration Tunnel – the next stop on the tour.

The defector was an engineer working on the tunnel who miraculously managed to escape from his work detail one day and run for freedom across the land-mined zone. When he made it to the South he informed his new state of his work. The South then built a tunnel of its own to cut the North Koreans off. Following that initial tunnel, the South built a much larger tunnel, 73 metres below ground, to allow tourists gain access.

We trekked the 256 metres along the tunnel and came to a padlocked, wrought-iron door, marked by barbed wire, that indicated the border – a physical door from capitalism to communism. The barbed wire seemed like a metaphor for the hatred capitalist regimes bear for the philosophy lived out on the other side of that door.

Next up was Dora Observatory, a lookout from where one can see the entire DMZ: to the north lie the unspoilt tracts of land mentioned earlier; the Freedom Bridge; a 160m high flag pole bearing the North Korean flag; and the dramatic North Korean mountains that run across the border. It is an especially beautiful view.

This area was overrun by school kids playing hide-and-seek as army guards ensured nobody used camera lenses with more than 100mm focal length to take photographs of the area.

After the observatory visit it was lunchtime and time to go down to a local restaurant for grilled beef wrapped in lettuce leaves – a meal called bulgogi. Dog was on the menu too.

The tour then rolled on to the last train station before the border – Dorasan. South Korea’s goal is to connect the station with the Trans-Siberian Railway and extend the longest rail journey in the world. For the moment it’s a ghost station, but for the equivalent of €1 you can buy a fake ticket to North Korea’s capital, Pyongyang. After the station, we visited the JSA – Joint Security Area – the geographic point where the borders of the North and South meet.

On the way, we passed through Camp Bonifas, where in 1976 an axe-wielding North Korean soldier killed two US soldiers who attempted to chop down a tree that obstructed their view from a lookout tower. One of the soldiers was called Bonifas, and the camp was subsequently re-named after him.

My tour group was dropped off at the foot of the steps of a modern building, and then walked out on to a viewing area where South Korean soldiers stood in a modified taekwondo stance, their hands clenched into fists, ready to resume the war at the drop of a hat. Tourists cannot point; take photos in a southern direction; use cameras with 100mm focal length; walk nearer the border; or wear flip flops. The tour guide went through all these details – it felt like we’d been transported back to the Cold War. On the other side, a solitary North Korean guard eyed us through binoculars.

After a few minutes, we were ushered into the Panmunjom meeting room, half of which is in each country. All the same rules apply and microphones record everything, 24 hours a day. Having been shuffled out, we were directed into a gift shop where one can purchase sections of the barbed wire that originally divided the country, mounted on a metal plaque.

What struck me about both Golgulsa and the DMZ was that they both represented the fight for Korean freedom: in times gone by, the monk warriors helped the Korean monarchy defend the country from invasion, while at the DMZ South Korean soldiers fought and died for their country’s independence, an independence that Koreans are vehemently proud of today.

Full article here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/tra ... 95842.html
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thanks for that TJ. I was over there last year but didn't have time to get to the DMZ unfortunately, really regret not planning that better although my hands were tied. Anyone know why you can't wear flip flops? I'm sure the reason is obvious but I can't think of it.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Anyone know why you can't wear flip flops? I'm sure the reason is obvious but I can't think of it.
Two reasons;

1. If a conflict or incident just happens to break out, they don't want you running in flip-flops or high heels because it will impede your exit. In other words, if you need to get the fock outta there asap, the flip-flops won't help

2. Propeganda. Same as with the previous taboo of wearing jeans. The NKs used to photo tourists wearing scruffy jeans and flip-flops and broadcast to their people saying; "Look, these foreigners can't even afford proper clothing." The SKs therefore banned all very casual clothing. Have since reversed their ban on jeans, but they will check your clothes really carefully. Any rips or tears will be spotted and you do face the ignominy of staying on the bus.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Going by the thread title, surely there must be one on how to live longer?
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

olaf the fat wrote:Going by the thread title, surely there must be one on how to live longer?
Supersize me, don't do what he did and you'll live longer.
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

olaf the fat wrote:Going by the thread title, surely there must be one on how to live longer?
If your going by the thread title, a documentary on immortality would be more suitable :lol:
Eristic
Knowledgeable

Post by Eristic »

For those of you interested in the origins of different music

Scratch is an feature length documentary on the development of hip hop, specifically turntablism (them lads that make the scratchy noises with the records). It features interviews with DJ Shadow, Mix Master Mike,Afrika Bambaataa as well as others and is possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5841814301

Also, I really enjoyed this BBC doc on Krautrock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B89-69icyc
Noel Reid and James Rodriguez were separated at birth.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Watched "Armadillo" on More 4 last night.

Brilliant piece of work.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

brian_c wrote:Cosmos: A Personal Voyage by Carl Sagan. A little dated now, it is 30 years old in fairness, but I'm excited to say that there are plans to make a second series of it with Neil Degrasse-Tyson.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/cosmos/
Everyone should have this and "Life on Earth" box sets at home - the two best series produced imho. Even though a little dated they are still as good as ever and the sheer scale of their subject matter is incredible.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

suisse wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Anyone know why you can't wear flip flops? I'm sure the reason is obvious but I can't think of it.
Two reasons;

1. If a conflict or incident just happens to break out, they don't want you running in flip-flops or high heels because it will impede your exit. In other words, if you need to get the fock outta there asap, the flip-flops won't help

2. Propeganda. Same as with the previous taboo of wearing jeans. The NKs used to photo tourists wearing scruffy jeans and flip-flops and broadcast to their people saying; "Look, these foreigners can't even afford proper clothing." The SKs therefore banned all very casual clothing. Have since reversed their ban on jeans, but they will check your clothes really carefully. Any rips or tears will be spotted and you do face the ignominy of staying on the bus.
Ah I see, makes sense I suppose, thanks suisse. Reminds me of the Demetri Martin joke about deciding to wear flip flops in the morning meaning that you've also said to yourself "I hope I don't get chased today". It's funnier than I made it sound!
FatBoyChoice
Graduate

Post by FatBoyChoice »

Donny B. wrote:Great sports documentaries:

When we were Kings

Hoop Dreams

Senna

TT3D: Closer to the Edge
Finally got round to seeing all of Hoop Dreams a few weeks ago. Probably the best sports documentary I've seen. Even the gf, who has zero interest in US sports was glued to it.

Another very good one is "The Best That Never Was", from ESPN again but about a young guy from small town in Mississippi who was probably the best high school running back in history. I was in tears at some points watching it, incredible story.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Rewatched King Of Kong recently enough, fantastically entertaining if you haven't caught it.

Also not really a film doc but anyone watching Frozen Planet, it's just stunningly beautiful
FatBoyChoice
Graduate

Post by FatBoyChoice »

TerenureJim wrote:Rewatched King Of Kong recently enough, fantastically entertaining if you haven't caught it.

Also not really a film doc but anyone watching Frozen Planet, it's just stunningly beautiful
Frozen Planet is so beautifully shot. When you see the effort they put into getting those shots it make you appreciate it even more.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

"Jig" Frightening!