Documentaries to See Before You Die

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Sarphil
Enlightened

Re: Documentaries to See Before You Die

Post by Sarphil »

TerenureJim wrote:
Sarphil wrote:Murder on a Sunday morning - about a young black man accused of murder based on some really dodgy evidence. Excellent documentary and terrifying too.

Catfish - story of an American who befriends a girl on Facebook who is not what she seems.

The Pipe - about the Corrib gas pipeline.

Will try and think of more...
Is Catfish a documentary though?
Yes, apparently so.
'la vista che m'apparve d'un leone
Questi parea che contra me venisse
con la test'alta e con rabbiosa fame,
sì che parea che l'aere ne tremesse'
INFERNO CANTO 01

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Not sure if you guys and gals have seen before, but there was an excellent documentary about a man called Mike Campbell, who took Robert Mugabe to court over his land redistribution policy. Very moving documentary if anyone wants to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajPJ9OD7OfQ

Some post doc reading can be found below. If you wanna watch, I recommend not reading these until after viewing the YouTube link.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... pbell.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Campb ... f_Zimbabwe
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Catfish is shot with a handheld using real people (as opposed to people playing characters) in a manner that makes people think it is a documentary but it is all fictional.
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

Magic & Bird: A Courtship Of Rivals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSqMw8UtOvw

30 for 30- No Mas [Roberto Duran & Sugar Ray Leonard]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-BlK3B4Ykc
#ScrapTheLions
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Blackfish, yes there are some issues with it but makes you think twice about booking a ticket to sea world.
D'Arse
Mullet

Post by D'Arse »

Searching for Sugar Man is a great documentary. It won the best documentary Oscar last year and it's available online (ahem.....allegedly)
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

Watched it a few years ago but it's stuck with me. Follows the rise and fall of Enron up to the point it became bankrupt. Incredible they got away with it for so long.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

D'Arse wrote:Searching for Sugar Man is a great documentary. It won the best documentary Oscar last year and it's available online (ahem.....allegedly)
Thanks so much for that recommendation. A story well told, and very much worth knowing. Really enjoyed it.

Its actually up on YouTube ("Searching for Sugar Man"). Would second this recommendation.
D'Arse
Mullet

Post by D'Arse »

Logorrhea wrote:
D'Arse wrote:Searching for Sugar Man is a great documentary. It won the best documentary Oscar last year and it's available online (ahem.....allegedly)
Thanks so much for that recommendation. A story well told, and very much worth knowing. Really enjoyed it.

Its actually up on YouTube ("Searching for Sugar Man"). Would second this recommendation.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It amazes me that so few people have heard of it especially considering the fact that it won an Oscar.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
BarryP
Knowledgeable

Post by BarryP »

D'Arse wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It amazes me that so few people have heard of it especially considering the fact that it won an Oscar.

It's excellent alright (although does tell a great story that might not be as true to life as it sets out to be - Rodrigues had played Oz numerous times in the intervening period, so wasn't as green to his success as indicated).

'Paralell Worlds, Paralell Lives' is class - tells the story of the Eels front man, Mark Oliver Everett, who go back through his life to understand his dad more - his dad being the physicist who came up with the theory of parallel worlds.
It's on Youtube also.

'Anvil' is a great watch; as is "Dig", the documentary on the Brian Johnstone Massacre and Dandy Warhols.

"Mistaken for Strangers", the recent documentary about The National since their 2011 tour is very enjoyable also.
No feelings. You don't win 'em all, you don't love 'em all, you keep on fighting and if you need a friend, get a dog."