The Gaming Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: The Gaming Thread

Post by Avenger »

I don't get much time for games any more but I had a hour or so yesterday evening to spare so I played some Gears of War 3.
Great game although it'll probably take me weeks to finish it.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

So has anyone gotten Skyrim yet? What's the verdict? I'm scared to buy it, as I'll forget about life in the real world.

I just finished Assassin's Creed Revelations yesterday evening. Really enjoyed it.
I am the one who knocks!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

ruck wrote:So has anyone gotten Skyrim yet? What's the verdict? I'm scared to buy it, as I'll forget about life in the real world.

I just finished Assassin's Creed Revelations yesterday evening. Really enjoyed it.
Might invest in Assassin's Creed but I think Skyrim would probably lead to issues with the GF, a lack of vitamin D due dip in sunlight exposure and possible bed sores
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

ruck wrote:So has anyone gotten Skyrim yet? What's the verdict? I'm scared to buy it, as I'll forget about life in the real world.

I got Slyrim a week ago and I have to say its not as immersive as Oblivion was. Or maybe I'm not the gamer I used to be. The Map is barely functional, which makes for random traveling very tough to negotiate. (Is that a rive? a road? a cliff?) the local (zoomed in) map is great for towns or caverns though. The horse is tough to control (in that there are no calling functions or it wont follow you!) so if you played Red dead then you will be missing the companionship there, rather than as I have heard it referenced "expensive meat taxi".

Not loving it like I should do but when I play it its fun.
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Skyrim is breaking my resolve I must say. It's infuriating me far too often. Between glitches, and poor graphics (in places) and some insanely hard gameplay (i think they've stopped leveling baddies with you, so they're set at a certain difficulty). Can't say i'm enjoying it too much thus far. I've still spent about 5 hours wondering around doing nothing though. Why is it that in a video game like this, everyone (including me) is ok with going picking flowers and bullshit like that? :D
I am the one who knocks!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

ruck wrote:Skyrim is breaking my resolve I must say. It's infuriating me far too often. Between glitches, and poor graphics (in places) and some insanely hard gameplay (i think they've stopped leveling baddies with you, so they're set at a certain difficulty). Can't say i'm enjoying it too much thus far. I've still spent about 5 hours wondering around doing nothing though. Why is it that in a video game like this, everyone (including me) is ok with going picking flowers and bullshit like that? :D
Disappointed to hear that there are so many problems, was hoping it'd be a worthwhile purchase for the dark evenings
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

TerenureJim wrote:
ruck wrote:Skyrim is breaking my resolve I must say. It's infuriating me far too often. Between glitches, and poor graphics (in places) and some insanely hard gameplay (i think they've stopped leveling baddies with you, so they're set at a certain difficulty). Can't say i'm enjoying it too much thus far. I've still spent about 5 hours wondering around doing nothing though. Why is it that in a video game like this, everyone (including me) is ok with going picking flowers and bullshit like that? :D
Disappointed to hear that there are so many problems, was hoping it'd be a worthwhile purchase for the dark evenings
I'm starting to enjoy it now, although it shouldn't take 6 hours to settle in to a game. Basically, just avoid any caves and the like, unless they're early story quests, until you've levelled up quite a bit, and you'll be grand. Don't like the menu system at all in it though.
I am the one who knocks!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

It stole 20 hours of my life this weekend past. :oops:
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

I'm kind of getting bored of Skyrim. As vast as the game is, it's pretty much just go to X mine/cave/ruin, kill everything inside, rinse and repeat.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

I got Empire Total War for €12 a couple of weeks ago.
Gonna get stuck into it either later this week or next week. Love that genre of games. :mrgreen:
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Eristic
Knowledgeable

Post by Eristic »

I'm thinking of torrenting an old game for the PC (one that isnt currently being sold in the shops, I have some respect for the gaming industry)

Any suggestions?
Noel Reid and James Rodriguez were separated at birth.
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

Eristic wrote:I'm thinking of torrenting an old game for the PC (one that isnt currently being sold in the shops, I have some respect for the gaming industry)

Any suggestions?
AGE OF EMPIRES!!!
I got a hankering for this game recently and it has been the time sucking experience that I thought Skyrm would be.
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
Eristic
Knowledgeable

Post by Eristic »

Skinfull wrote:
Eristic wrote:I'm thinking of torrenting an old game for the PC (one that isnt currently being sold in the shops, I have some respect for the gaming industry)

Any suggestions?
AGE OF EMPIRES!!!
I got a hankering for this game recently and it has been the time sucking experience that I thought Skyrm would be.
Ah yes, the timeless classic.
I did it and AOE II recently. Joyous.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Eristic wrote:
Skinfull wrote:

Any suggestions?
AGE OF EMPIRES!!!
Ah yes, the timeless classic.
I did it and AOE II recently. Joyous.
Age of Empires II is yer only man. Bloody fantastic game. Great single player campaigns and huge multiplayer maps. Really was between it and C&C for the best ever strategy style game IMO. Actually AOEII shades it by not bothering with crummy acting and mental weapons. Ain't nothing like watching a troop of heavy cavalry ride down swordsmen on an open batlefield.
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

Bought myself Portal 2 to play when I finish my exams next week. Cannot wait. Newest game I've bought in a long time, I'm more usually found playing my SNES. Speaking of which, I have to replace my flood damaged zapper light gun for my NES. Anyone have one in their attic that they aren't using? I need some Duck Hunt.
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
Eristic
Knowledgeable

Post by Eristic »

brian_c wrote:Bought myself Portal 2 to play when I finish my exams next week. Cannot wait. Newest game I've bought in a long time, I'm more usually found playing my SNES. Speaking of which, I have to replace my flood damaged zapper light gun for my NES. Anyone have one in their attic that they aren't using? I need some Duck Hunt.
And I thought I was old school playing Jonah Lomu rugby every year.
Winning the world cup with Manu Samoa whilst being exalted by Bill McLaren gets me through exams every time.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

ruck wrote:some insanely hard gameplay (i think they've stopped leveling baddies with you, so they're set at a certain difficulty).
They still level up with you, but raising non-combat stuff like crafting counts as raising your combat for some reason. Focus too much on raising non-combat skills and 90% of enemies are virtually unkillable
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

gfo wrote:
ruck wrote:some insanely hard gameplay (i think they've stopped leveling baddies with you, so they're set at a certain difficulty).
They still level up with you, but raising non-combat stuff like crafting counts as raising your combat for some reason. Focus too much on raising non-combat skills and 90% of enemies are virtually unkillable
Now that is poor game development
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

brian_c wrote:Bought myself Portal 2 to play when I finish my exams next week. Cannot wait. Newest game I've bought in a long time, I'm more usually found playing my SNES. Speaking of which, I have to replace my flood damaged zapper light gun for my NES. Anyone have one in their attic that they aren't using? I need some Duck Hunt.
Portal 2 is a fantastic game. Xbox or PS3?
I am the one who knocks!
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

PC, bought it on Steam.
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.