The Gaming Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby Avenger » November 11th, 2011, 10:55 am

I don't get much time for games any more but I had a hour or so yesterday evening to spare so I played some Gears of War 3.
Great game although it'll probably take me weeks to finish it.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
User avatar
Avenger
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: February 9th, 2006, 4:57 pm
Location: lost in thought; it's unfamiliar territory...

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby ruck » November 24th, 2011, 2:22 pm

So has anyone gotten Skyrim yet? What's the verdict? I'm scared to buy it, as I'll forget about life in the real world.

I just finished Assassin's Creed Revelations yesterday evening. Really enjoyed it.
I am the one who knocks!
User avatar
ruck
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 8:05 pm
Location: Mid Table :(

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby TerenureJim » November 24th, 2011, 3:26 pm

ruck wrote:So has anyone gotten Skyrim yet? What's the verdict? I'm scared to buy it, as I'll forget about life in the real world.

I just finished Assassin's Creed Revelations yesterday evening. Really enjoyed it.


Might invest in Assassin's Creed but I think Skyrim would probably lead to issues with the GF, a lack of vitamin D due dip in sunlight exposure and possible bed sores
User avatar
TerenureJim
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4933
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 10:09 am

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby Skinfull » November 24th, 2011, 5:46 pm

ruck wrote:So has anyone gotten Skyrim yet? What's the verdict? I'm scared to buy it, as I'll forget about life in the real world.

I just finished Assassin's Creed Revelations yesterday evening. Really enjoyed it.


I got Slyrim a week ago and I have to say its not as immersive as Oblivion was. Or maybe I'm not the gamer I used to be. The Map is barely functional, which makes for random traveling very tough to negotiate. (Is that a rive? a road? a cliff?) the local (zoomed in) map is great for towns or caverns though. The horse is tough to control (in that there are no calling functions or it wont follow you!) so if you played Red dead then you will be missing the companionship there, rather than as I have heard it referenced "expensive meat taxi".

Not loving it like I should do but when I play it its fun.
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
User avatar
Skinfull
Mullet
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: August 15th, 2008, 12:41 pm

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby ruck » December 2nd, 2011, 12:14 pm

Skyrim is breaking my resolve I must say. It's infuriating me far too often. Between glitches, and poor graphics (in places) and some insanely hard gameplay (i think they've stopped leveling baddies with you, so they're set at a certain difficulty). Can't say i'm enjoying it too much thus far. I've still spent about 5 hours wondering around doing nothing though. Why is it that in a video game like this, everyone (including me) is ok with going picking flowers and bullshit like that? :D
I am the one who knocks!
User avatar
ruck
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 8:05 pm
Location: Mid Table :(

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby TerenureJim » December 5th, 2011, 12:07 pm

ruck wrote:Skyrim is breaking my resolve I must say. It's infuriating me far too often. Between glitches, and poor graphics (in places) and some insanely hard gameplay (i think they've stopped leveling baddies with you, so they're set at a certain difficulty). Can't say i'm enjoying it too much thus far. I've still spent about 5 hours wondering around doing nothing though. Why is it that in a video game like this, everyone (including me) is ok with going picking flowers and bullshit like that? :D


Disappointed to hear that there are so many problems, was hoping it'd be a worthwhile purchase for the dark evenings
User avatar
TerenureJim
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4933
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 10:09 am

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby ruck » December 5th, 2011, 12:37 pm

TerenureJim wrote:
ruck wrote:Skyrim is breaking my resolve I must say. It's infuriating me far too often. Between glitches, and poor graphics (in places) and some insanely hard gameplay (i think they've stopped leveling baddies with you, so they're set at a certain difficulty). Can't say i'm enjoying it too much thus far. I've still spent about 5 hours wondering around doing nothing though. Why is it that in a video game like this, everyone (including me) is ok with going picking flowers and bullshit like that? :D


Disappointed to hear that there are so many problems, was hoping it'd be a worthwhile purchase for the dark evenings


I'm starting to enjoy it now, although it shouldn't take 6 hours to settle in to a game. Basically, just avoid any caves and the like, unless they're early story quests, until you've levelled up quite a bit, and you'll be grand. Don't like the menu system at all in it though.
I am the one who knocks!
User avatar
ruck
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 8:05 pm
Location: Mid Table :(

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby RoboProp » December 5th, 2011, 8:03 pm

It stole 20 hours of my life this weekend past. :oops:
Get up on your feet, don't look so obsolete and thrash like an athlete
User avatar
RoboProp
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3039
Joined: December 29th, 2008, 3:45 pm
Location: Mandalore

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby Danthefan » December 5th, 2011, 8:14 pm

I'm kind of getting bored of Skyrim. As vast as the game is, it's pretty much just go to X mine/cave/ruin, kill everything inside, rinse and repeat.
User avatar
Danthefan
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8073
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Location: Malahide

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby Leinsterman » December 5th, 2011, 10:07 pm

I got Empire Total War for €12 a couple of weeks ago.
Gonna get stuck into it either later this week or next week. Love that genre of games. :mrgreen:
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
User avatar
Leinsterman
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8907
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 2:37 pm

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby Eristic » December 5th, 2011, 10:48 pm

I'm thinking of torrenting an old game for the PC (one that isnt currently being sold in the shops, I have some respect for the gaming industry)

Any suggestions?
Noel Reid and James Rodriguez were separated at birth.
User avatar
Eristic
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 466
Joined: November 20th, 2009, 10:46 pm

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby Skinfull » December 5th, 2011, 11:15 pm

Eristic wrote:I'm thinking of torrenting an old game for the PC (one that isnt currently being sold in the shops, I have some respect for the gaming industry)

Any suggestions?


AGE OF EMPIRES!!!
I got a hankering for this game recently and it has been the time sucking experience that I thought Skyrm would be.
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
User avatar
Skinfull
Mullet
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: August 15th, 2008, 12:41 pm

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby Eristic » December 5th, 2011, 11:42 pm

Skinfull wrote:
Eristic wrote:I'm thinking of torrenting an old game for the PC (one that isnt currently being sold in the shops, I have some respect for the gaming industry)

Any suggestions?


AGE OF EMPIRES!!!
I got a hankering for this game recently and it has been the time sucking experience that I thought Skyrm would be.


Ah yes, the timeless classic.
I did it and AOE II recently. Joyous.
Noel Reid and James Rodriguez were separated at birth.
User avatar
Eristic
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 466
Joined: November 20th, 2009, 10:46 pm

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby TerenureJim » December 6th, 2011, 11:01 am

Eristic wrote:
Skinfull wrote:
Eristic wrote:I'm thinking of torrenting an old game for the PC (one that isnt currently being sold in the shops, I have some respect for the gaming industry)

Any suggestions?


AGE OF EMPIRES!!!
I got a hankering for this game recently and it has been the time sucking experience that I thought Skyrm would be.


Ah yes, the timeless classic.
I did it and AOE II recently. Joyous.


Age of Empires II is yer only man. Bloody fantastic game. Great single player campaigns and huge multiplayer maps. Really was between it and C&C for the best ever strategy style game IMO. Actually AOEII shades it by not bothering with crummy acting and mental weapons. Ain't nothing like watching a troop of heavy cavalry ride down swordsmen on an open batlefield.
User avatar
TerenureJim
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4933
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 10:09 am

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby brian_c » December 6th, 2011, 8:09 pm

Bought myself Portal 2 to play when I finish my exams next week. Cannot wait. Newest game I've bought in a long time, I'm more usually found playing my SNES. Speaking of which, I have to replace my flood damaged zapper light gun for my NES. Anyone have one in their attic that they aren't using? I need some Duck Hunt.
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
User avatar
brian_c
Mullet
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: August 8th, 2006, 3:03 pm
Location: Raheny

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby Eristic » December 6th, 2011, 8:41 pm

brian_c wrote:Bought myself Portal 2 to play when I finish my exams next week. Cannot wait. Newest game I've bought in a long time, I'm more usually found playing my SNES. Speaking of which, I have to replace my flood damaged zapper light gun for my NES. Anyone have one in their attic that they aren't using? I need some Duck Hunt.

And I thought I was old school playing Jonah Lomu rugby every year.
Winning the world cup with Manu Samoa whilst being exalted by Bill McLaren gets me through exams every time.
Noel Reid and James Rodriguez were separated at birth.
User avatar
Eristic
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 466
Joined: November 20th, 2009, 10:46 pm

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby gfo » December 7th, 2011, 2:30 am

ruck wrote:some insanely hard gameplay (i think they've stopped leveling baddies with you, so they're set at a certain difficulty).


They still level up with you, but raising non-combat stuff like crafting counts as raising your combat for some reason. Focus too much on raising non-combat skills and 90% of enemies are virtually unkillable
User avatar
gfo
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2072
Joined: October 19th, 2008, 7:59 pm
Location: B.A.C.

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby TerenureJim » December 7th, 2011, 11:10 am

gfo wrote:
ruck wrote:some insanely hard gameplay (i think they've stopped leveling baddies with you, so they're set at a certain difficulty).


They still level up with you, but raising non-combat stuff like crafting counts as raising your combat for some reason. Focus too much on raising non-combat skills and 90% of enemies are virtually unkillable


Now that is poor game development
User avatar
TerenureJim
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4933
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 10:09 am

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby ruck » December 9th, 2011, 2:34 pm

brian_c wrote:Bought myself Portal 2 to play when I finish my exams next week. Cannot wait. Newest game I've bought in a long time, I'm more usually found playing my SNES. Speaking of which, I have to replace my flood damaged zapper light gun for my NES. Anyone have one in their attic that they aren't using? I need some Duck Hunt.


Portal 2 is a fantastic game. Xbox or PS3?
I am the one who knocks!
User avatar
ruck
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 8:05 pm
Location: Mid Table :(

Re: The Gaming Thread

Postby brian_c » December 9th, 2011, 2:57 pm

PC, bought it on Steam.
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
User avatar
brian_c
Mullet
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: August 8th, 2006, 3:03 pm
Location: Raheny

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot [Bot] and 1 guest