Wedding Locations

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Wedding Locations

Post by The Doc »

I was at a wedding where they had the Dublin Gospel choir for the church - not the full choir I think, may 6 or 7. They were really good and something different.

I was at another and I think they had Bohemian Strings - or certainly something very similar - they were playing at the reception and it took a while for people to realise they were playing all sorts of funky pieces in a string quartet "way" - was very good
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Folks giving this thread a bump as still seeking a string quartet/trio for the ceremony and inital part of the reception and open to suggestions anyone might have.

We did get in touch with Bohemian strings and unfortunately got a fairly harsh PFO style rebuff about their availability so was hugely disappointed by that as they sounded fantastic and I though they'd be good to deal with based on what I had heard/read. Was singularly unimpressed but guess you cant always get what you want.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

TerenureJim wrote:Folks giving this thread a bump as still seeking a string quartet/trio for the ceremony and inital part of the reception and open to suggestions anyone might have.

We did get in touch with Bohemian strings and unfortunately got a fairly harsh PFO style rebuff about their availability so was hugely disappointed by that as they sounded fantastic and I though they'd be good to deal with based on what I had heard/read. Was singularly unimpressed but guess you cant always get what you want.
Any local music college around you ? Sometimes you can get some of their good students to do a gig
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

rooster wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Folks giving this thread a bump as still seeking a string quartet/trio for the ceremony and inital part of the reception and open to suggestions anyone might have.

Any local music college around you ? Sometimes you can get some of their good students to do a gig
I was about to suggest the same.

Based on your username, I presume that you're based near Terenure. One of the teachers from Dublin School of Music sang at our wedding ceremony, and I know that he and a few of the others there work together to provide wedding music. Try calling in there; I'm sure they'll be able to put you in touch with him.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

These guys are excellent, and do exactly what it says on the tin.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

TheBear wrote:
rooster wrote:Any local music college around you ? Sometimes you can get some of their good students to do a gig
Based on your username, I presume that you're based near Terenure.
Thanks Rooster/Bear yep I am born and bred Terenure but we're getting hitched in North Donegal so ideally we'd be looking for a group from Letterkenny/Derry area preferably although don't mind chipping in a little extra to cover travel costs if we have to go with someone from anywhere else.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

TerenureJim wrote:
TheBear wrote:
rooster wrote:Any local music college around you ? Sometimes you can get some of their good students to do a gig
Based on your username, I presume that you're based near Terenure.
Thanks Rooster/Bear yep I am born and bred Terenure but we're getting hitched in North Donegal so ideally we'd be looking for a group from Letterkenny/Derry area preferably although don't mind chipping in a little extra to cover travel costs if we have to go with someone from anywhere else.
Don't know if this is any good to you but there is a music degree course in Magee University in Derry, might be worth contacting someone there
http://creativearts.ulster.ac.uk/music
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Sh1t dude sorry to hear that, especially since I was the one who told you about them. I found them great to deal with but that treatment is downright shoddy. Best of luck in your search TJ
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

RoboProp wrote:Sh1t dude sorry to hear that, especially since I was the one who told you about them. I found them great to deal with but that treatment is downright shoddy. Best of luck in your search TJ
Ah don't worry about it, I'm probably just mostly peeved that we couldn't get them rather than the abruptness of their email. They were pretty perfect sounding so real shame we missed out.
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Lamb of BOD wrote:These guys are excellent, and do exactly what it says on the tin.
Half of these musicians are from Derry, btw
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Giving this one a bump as I'm looking to find sheet music, quite specifically Air Playground Love, Daft Punk Digital Love and Depeche Mode I Just Can't Get Enough amongst others I've found some stuff on Opus II but would prefer not to have to buy larger books just to get one specific piece of music if it can be avoided.

Also if you have a minute highly recommed people check out Vitamin String Quartet (or VSQ) not sure if they're US or UK based (doubt they're Irish) they do some fantastic covers.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

TerenureJim wrote:Giving this one a bump as I'm looking to find sheet music, quite specifically Air Playground Love, Daft Punk Digital Love and Depeche Mode I Just Can't Get Enough amongst others I've found some stuff on Opus II but would prefer not to have to buy larger books just to get one specific piece of music if it can be avoided.

Also if you have a minute highly recommed people check out Vitamin String Quartet (or VSQ) not sure if they're US or UK based (doubt they're Irish) they do some fantastic covers.
Mcullogh Piggots do sheet music - no idea on the particular songs you mention. But they have sheet music for choirs and instruments.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Opus II are better, unfortunately their Dublin branch closed.

Have you looked online? http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mt ... =MN0075193 it's €4ish and has chords and melody in conventional notation - would work fine for a keyboard and solo instrument for example but would need some work or a willingness to wing it for a SQ. It would surprise me if the charts for that were readily available. Air probably wrote it for keyboards and somebody arranged it in studio for the orchestra.

I'd guess that Vitamin String Quartet arranged it themselves which is a bit more work than you can expect a quartet to do for a wedding.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

The Doc wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Giving this one a bump as I'm looking to find sheet music, quite specifically Air Playground Love, Daft Punk Digital Love and Depeche Mode I Just Can't Get Enough amongst others I've found some stuff on Opus II but would prefer not to have to buy larger books just to get one specific piece of music if it can be avoided.

Mcullogh Piggots do sheet music - no idea on the particular songs you mention. But they have sheet music for choirs and instruments.
If you know someone who is somewhat musical, they should be able to find the sheet music either for free or for a small fee online. I say that they should have a little knowledge, as there are so many different versions of sheet music for popular songs available, you would want someone who could make sure that it's the right (or just an appropriate) version.

For instance, a quick search for the Depeche mode song has yielded four options. Doing an image search will give you the sheet music for free. But I couldn't tell you if the different versions are what you're looking for.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Thanks all, very handy info all round. Will have to get cracking on the research so to find the right ones.