Wedding Locations

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

tones
Shane Jennings

Wedding Locations

Post by tones »

Hi all, just wondering if you could help - on the look-out for wedding locations aroud the North Dub, Meath and Louth area. Have looked at about 6/7 and were down to 2 Bellinteer House and Ballymagarvey House. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of other locations or if they had weddings in these 2 locations, how did they fare?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Amz
Mullet

Re: Wedding Locations

Post by Amz »

Was at a wedding last November in Ballymagarvey House and it was amazing. The location, the food, the accommodation were all just stunning. The majority of the guests stayed in the various cottages etc. on the grounds and the wedding party stayed in the main house. They had the main house for two days. I know it cost an absolute packet, but I'll never forget it, it was just so gorgeous.

I can't stress enough how good the food was, the canapes alone, that were distributed while the bride and groom were off having photos taken, were fabulous, the main course was sublime and if I could have just eaten the desserts for the rest of my life I'd be a happy, if ever so slightly overweight (;)), bunny.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Castle Leslie about another 30 mins up the road in Monaghan (Glaslough to be exact), fantastic old estate on the the shores of its own spectacular lake. Great spot and actually not that far from Dublin. I'd say it'd be good for a crowd of circa 100.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

TerenureJim wrote:Castle Leslie about another 30 mins up the road in Monaghan (Glaslough to be exact), fantastic old estate on the the shores of its own spectacular lake. Great spot and actually not that far from Dublin. I'd say it'd be good for a crowd of circa 100.
Second this. Fantastic place.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

In the area's you mention i have been to two weddings

- One was in darver castle (Louth) maybe 4 years ago. I liked it. Nice area for the drinks reception. Really like the dinning room & remember being impressed with the food - think they have there own farm maybe. Didn't stay there so can't comment on the accommodation (don't think it had cottages on the grounds) Most of the guests stayed in Crown Plaza which is just up the road IIRC and was very reasonable price wise

- The other was Johnstown House Enfield last year. Don't really remember much about it tbh - not in a 'i was to shite face way' more that it was just like any other hotel (think it is or was a Raddison). Can't remember the food either way. I do recall that the rate was very reasonable for very nice room

Edit - forgot also went to a wedding in Castleknock hotel & country. Not great tbh. Was a couple of other parties/weddings going on at same time, one of which a 21st!

best of luck with it & enjoy
Last edited by Scott on November 29th, 2011, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
jordanracer
Knowledgeable

Post by jordanracer »

+3 for Castle Leslie, really excellent spot
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Scott wrote:In the area's you mention i have been to two weddings

- One was in darver castle (Louth) maybe 4 years ago. I liked it. Nice area for the drinks reception. Really like the dinning room & remember being impressed with the food - think they have there own farm maybe. Didn't stay there so can't comment on the accommodation (don't think it had cottages on the grounds) Most of the guests stayed in Crown Plaza which is just up the road IIRC and was very reasonable price wise

- The other was Johnstown House Enfield last year. Don't really remember much about it tbh - not in a 'i was to shite face way' more that it was just like any other hotel (think it is or was a Raddison). Can't remember the food either way. I do recall that the rate was very reasonable for very nice room
Tis a Marriot and to be honest it feels like a hotel chain kind of place.
Try and keep it to the family run places if its quality you're looking for.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Cabra Castle at Kingscourt is a good one as well, great food.
jordanracer wrote:+3 for Castle Leslie, really excellent spot
It is about 1 hour 20 from the port tunnel to Glaslough great spot though and worth a look.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

rooster wrote:Cabra Castle at Kingscourt is a good one as well, great food.
It is about 1 hour 20 from the port tunnel to Glaslough great spot though and worth a look.
+1 on Cabra Castle was there for a wedding about ten years back and it was great, mid-winter but with flame torches and all laid on it was a great atmosphere.

You'd also want to be driving pretty slow to take 1hr20 to get to Glaslough there grandpa :lol:
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

I had my wedding in the Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links last March and we had a great day. Very professionally organised, they let me source my own craft beer and the food wasn't bad at all. The only minus was that the Irish soccer team were staying in the hotel at the same time and a lot of my guests were distracted.
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:
rooster wrote:Cabra Castle at Kingscourt is a good one as well, great food.
+1 on Cabra Castle was there for a wedding about ten years back and it was great, mid-winter but with flame torches and all laid on it was a great atmosphere.

You'd also want to be driving pretty slow to take 1hr20 to get to Glaslough there grandpa :lol:
Cabra Castle has been a semi regular venue for Cahill family weddings and events over the years, and I have to say its superb. The last wedding I was at there was on a beautiful sunny summers day and it was magnificent
I have Bumbleflex
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Agree with Cabra Castle for a venue. Have been to about a half a dozen weddings there over the last few years. Great location, good food and the management by all accounts are a treat to deal with.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Location wise Castle Leslie wins between it and Cabra, think food in Cabra would edge that end of things though.
TerenureJim wrote: You'd also want to be driving pretty slow to take 1hr20 to get to Glaslough there grandpa :lol:
Oh can and have done it in less than an hour but don't tell the Garda :lol: the slower time would be average driving in normal traffic.
Cabra Castle well worth a run for Sunday lunch, not cheap but good food.
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

+3 for Ballymagarvey - excellent venue, staff and location.
Brannigans Law is like Brannigans love, hard and fast!
Bosco
Mullet

Post by Bosco »

Ashford Castle.....
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Bosco wrote:Ashford Castle.....
You could probably buy that for the price of a wedding.
Get in the f%~king bag.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Thanks all for the contributions, looks like Ballymacgarvey is a go in the end!
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Thanks all for the contributions, looks like Ballymacgarvey is a go in the end!
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Don't forget to check your sports timetable before booking! No point having a wedding in a nice place with great food if half your guests have snuck out. Those dates are free in the hotel for a reason!
A closed mouth gathers no feet.