Wedding Locations

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Re: Wedding Locations

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Adults go to Disneyland? On purpose? No way Ted!
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Alternative Ulster wrote:Adults go to Disneyland? On purpose? No way Ted!
Having been in Dislneyland Paris this year with our 3 year old, there was a load of adults that used to queue up and push kids out of the way to have their picture taken with and get the autograph of the Disney characters... I kid you not!
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Avenger wrote:
Alternative Ulster wrote:Adults go to Disneyland? On purpose? No way Ted!
Having been in Dislneyland Paris this year with our 3 year old, there was a load of adults that used to queue up and push kids out of the way to have their picture taken with and get the autograph of the Disney characters... I kid you not!
Yeah now that's creepy.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

R-Dog wrote: I wouldn't bother moving into the center, Camps bay is class, nice beach there and also in clifton beside it. Its only about 10/15 mins taxi to places like the waterfront and long st if you want nights out in the city
Thanks, R-Dog. We were tinkering with that idea but unsure. Trailfinders had recommended a place in Camps Bay and then 2-3 days in an apartment at the waterfront. Other tour operators have mentioned what you said and told us we could get somewhere nicer in CB for the same price or even less. Hearing it from people like yourself has probably sealed it and we'll base ourselves in CB entirely now.
Woody01
Bookworm

Post by Woody01 »

ceemec wrote: Thanks, R-Dog. We were tinkering with that idea but unsure. Trailfinders had recommended a place in Camps Bay and then 2-3 days in an apartment at the waterfront. Other tour operators have mentioned what you said and told us we could get somewhere nicer in CB for the same price or even less. Hearing it from people like yourself has probably sealed it and we'll base ourselves in CB entirely now.
Would definitely agree with the Camps Bay option.
We had our honeymoon in SA in 2007 and had a ball. Flew in to Cape Town and then out of PE (via Jo'burg).
Used Trailfinders for flights and first few nights in Camps Bay Hotel (http://www.thebay.co.za/). When in Camps Bay try this place for dinner (http://www.dining-out.co.za/md/Codfathe ... Sushi/1054). You have no menu and just pick the fresh fish from the counter displayed in front of you and they go off and cook it.

We then hired a car and drove along the Cape before heading up to Winelands and then along Garden Route to PE. This was back in the day of paper guide books so we used The Greenwood guide for all our accommodation we booked on the route. http://www.greenwoodguides.com/south-africa/

They have a list of all smaller places but the standard is amazing and better value than hotels. Also takes you away from the obvious
places to stay. We were there in October so not peak season and you could just phone ahead a couple of days before arrival. We also had a restaurant
guide book someone gave us (Diners Club guide to SA) and based on the reviews would just pick a place for lunch and a place for dinner. Not one
bad meal through the whole trip and some truly memorable meals.

When we got to PE we then went to private game reserve for a few days. http://www.lalibela.net/
This was amazing and though not cheap was worth every penny. Went back to SA a couple of years ago for a wedding and ended up
going to Kruger and didnt enjoy it as much. The scale of Kruger is just too much compared to the reserves.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Thanks, Woody. That's some really useful information there. We're both fans of seafood so will absolutely check out that restaurant in Camps Bay.

I must say, this thread has been hugely useful for me. Ta very much to everyone.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Can I ask what people found worked as mass / early drinks reception music while we're off getting our photos. Need something to cover I'd guess about two hours between the service and inital champagne there.

I guess we're of a mind to go with a string quartet or some such but seems to be very expensive I can probably just throw together a playlist for the drinks reception if we don't find something but definately need some sort of music for the church. Anyone got any recomendations, I liked Manila Strings and thought they'd be good and could mix it up a bit funny at the drinks but their quote was unreal, any suggestions, especially for groups/singers based in the NorthWest - Donegal, Derry, Sligo area etc.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote:Can I ask what people found worked as mass / early drinks reception music while we're off getting our photos. Need something to cover I'd guess about two hours between the service and inital champagne there.

I guess we're of a mind to go with a string quartet or some such but seems to be very expensive I can probably just throw together a playlist for the drinks reception if we don't find something but definately need some sort of music for the church. Anyone got any recomendations, I liked Manila Strings and thought they'd be good and could mix it up a bit funny at the drinks but their quote was unreal, any suggestions, especially for groups/singers based in the NorthWest - Donegal, Derry, Sligo area etc.
Sounds Kitsch but, was at a weeding that had a magician hovering around the, landing/greeting/bar/area thingy. The net effect was all of the kids were focused in the one group and very manageable for parents. Music, hor d'oeuvres, and a bar looked after the rest.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Peg Leg wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Can I ask what people found worked as mass / early drinks reception music while we're off getting our photos. Need something to cover I'd guess about two hours between the service and inital champagne there.

Sounds Kitsch but, was at a weeding that had a magician hovering around the, landing/greeting/bar/area thingy. The net effect was all of the kids were focused in the one group and very manageable for parents. Music, hor d'oeuvres, and a bar looked after the rest.
Great idea but no kids at the wedding
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Peg Leg wrote:

Was at a wedding with a magician too. No kids around (that I remember :)), but he was brilliant!

It was a great way to bring all the little groups in a room together, or whatever.
Then when bride and groom came back from photos he did a few tricks with them.
(I'll try get his name).

I don't remember there being specific live music at the time you mention, at any weddings I've been to, the think people just mingle and have the few drinks.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

We've gone with our wedding band to come in and do a stripped down set for the two hours. They've a session saxophonist that comes in and they do slowed acoustic/jazz versions of contemporary music as background music.

We had been looking at bringing in a separate band. Trio Royale were one I recall. They're the house band in the Westin. Very good but don't play much contemporary music, mostly old style jazz. Depends on what you're looking for. They sounded great though.

http://www.trioroyale.com/Welcome.html

They cost a lot less than the likes of Tropical Storm/Manila Strings who are great entertainment but scandalously priced.

We're getting hitched in the Ballina/Sligo area. Can give you names of a couple of church singers if you need.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

We got the Bohemian Strings 4 string quartet for our ceremony. They were absolutely amazing. They played everything we requested. Which was a lot of John Williams, LOTR themes. They even learnt the Next Generation theme for when we walked down the aisle. I can't recommend them enough. Worth every penny.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

RoboProp wrote:

We got the Bohemian Strings 4 string quartet for our ceremony. They were absolutely amazing. They played everything we requested. Which was a lot of John Williams, LOTR themes. They even learnt the Next Generation theme for when we walked down the aisle. I can't recommend them enough. Worth every penny.
The next time I get marriued, I'll get them to play "smells like teen spirit" as I mope down the aisle.
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

Didn't use him for a wedding, thank god I'm years from that. But had Roly Smith at a party, either comes as a one piece piano man or two piece with a guitarist, will play any sort of music you need etc. Wasn't overly expensive (It was a couple of years ago) and top notch.

http://www.rolysmythmusic.com/index.html
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

RoboProp wrote:

Now thats what I'm talking about, any contact details? How were they pricewise?
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

They are €500 for before and during the ceremony. If you want them to play at your drinks reception as well it works out at €800. They were professional and friendly and loved by all. I cab PM you with the details if you are interested
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

RoboProp wrote:They are €500 for before and during the ceremony. If you want them to play at your drinks reception as well it works out at €800. They were professional and friendly and loved by all. I cab PM you with the details if you are interested
Found a website, think it might be there's but yeah if you have any details that'd be seriously great. They just sound kind of a perfect fit for ourselves if they do cover the cult film tracks you've mentioned. Not sure we'll walk down the aisle to TNG though, great show and all that it was.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

TerenureJim wrote:
RoboProp wrote:They are €500 for before and during the ceremony. If you want them to play at your drinks reception as well it works out at €800. They were professional and friendly and loved by all. I cab PM you with the details if you are interested
Found a website, think it might be there's but yeah if you have any details that'd be seriously great. They just sound kind of a perfect fit for ourselves if they do cover the cult film tracks you've mentioned. Not sure we'll walk down the aisle to TNG though, great show and all that it was.

They did a pretty kick ass version of Danny Elfman's Batman theme that maybe more up your street. PM sent to you sir
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

RoboProp wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:

They did a pretty kick ass version of Danny Elfman's Batman theme that maybe more up your street. PM sent to you sir
Yes but ill have to learn to dance with the devil in the pale moonlight!

Thanks a mil for that.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

The band we had offered receiption music as part of the deal - jazz session, which was well received by the guests.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."