Safe Places to Lock Bicycle RDS

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

MrCockles
Beginner

Safe Places to Lock Bicycle RDS

Post by MrCockles »

Well the question is in the title.

Rather than drive bus etc doing the healthy bit and taking the bicycle to the game in the RDS and stay off the beer.. :D

Where are the best and safest places to keep bicycles locked around the RDS?

I know there are a few hotels around wondering if you can leave it in their car parks or bring it into the RDS and lock it there before entering?

Anyone know?

Cheers
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Safe Places to Lock Bicycle RDS

Post by fourthirtythree »

If, as you say, you're off the beer and not leaving it overnight you're pretty safe anywhere around the RDS. I go to the Grandstand, entrance F and chain it up wherever is free (and not blocking people) close to the ground. Railings, lamposts whatever. There are lots of people around so if someone gets out a lumphammer or wrench it will be noticed. Not saying anyone would do anything but there are Gardaí around so it's probably not the most attractive venue for a bike thief. A large proportion of thieved bikes aren't really properly locked I am told. You certainly see a lot around town that you could whip off the quick release front wheel and wheel of, and walk away with. Front wheels are cheap enough...
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Outside the American/British Embassy.

Actually, on reflection, across the road from the American/British Embassy.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

deco wrote:Outside the American/British Embassy.

Actually, on reflection, across the road from the American/British Embassy.
There was a bike bomb used IIRC in the early 90s so, yeah, I wouldn't chain it to their railings.
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

they should have official bicycle parking within the grounds of the rds.

i'm thinking beside the jacks on the grandstand side.....
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

People bring bikes in the main entrance on Anglesea road and lock them inside RDS
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

Leezer wrote:they should have official bicycle parking within the grounds of the rds.

Sounds like a great suggestion to make to the OLSC
Summer is ready when you are

Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

Eve wrote:
Leezer wrote:they should have official bicycle parking within the grounds of the rds.

Sounds like a great suggestion to make to the OLSC

thanks :D it would be nice to see families etc arriving to the RDS by bicycle.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Scott wrote:People bring bikes in the main entrance on Anglesea road and lock them inside RDS
This is true & there is plenty of space (poles / railings) available for bike parking in the RDS.
Get in the f%~king bag.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Slipper1 wrote:
Scott wrote:People bring bikes in the main entrance on Anglesea road and lock them inside RDS
This is true & there is plenty of space (poles / railings) available for bike parking in the RDS.

Yeah but us cyclists are REALLY lazy when it comes to walking and that would add an extra 10 minutes onto my journey. Which does partially defeat the purpose of cycling. If I wanted to park well away from the entrance/exit I could drive.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:

Yeah but us cyclists are REALLY lazy when it comes to walking and that would add an extra 10 minutes onto my journey. Which does partially defeat the purpose of cycling. If I wanted to park well away from the entrance/exit I could drive.

Eh how does it add 10 minutes walking time? :?
When you go in that carpark entrance you can get your ticket scanned just beyond the ticket collection office. From the entrance to the grandstand is at max a 90sec stroll.
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Scott wrote: Eh how does it add 10 minutes walking time? :?
When you go in that carpark entrance you can get your ticket scanned just beyond the ticket collection office. From the entrance to the grandstand is at max a 90sec stroll.
Do they let you? Cool, I'll try it out next time I cycle in. Thanks for the tip.