Beer Fest this Sat in RDS

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

R-Dog
Graduate

Beer Fest this Sat in RDS

Post by R-Dog »

Haven't seen this mentioned here before but there is a beer festival on in the RDS this weekend, Good way to warm up before the match

http://www.irishcraftbeerfestival.com/home.html
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Beer Fest this Sat in RDS

Post by meinster »

Even better, show your season ticket or match ticket for half price admission!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

you have to pay in?
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

totalrandomer wrote:you have to pay in?
Yes, as per R-Dog's link above. Last year it included a pint and a souvenir pint glass (that you wash and re-use yourself).
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Does this mean that finally we are going to have a decent choice of ales in Irish pubs? Please say yes!!
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

domhnallj wrote:Does this mean that finally we are going to have a decent choice of ales in Irish pubs? Please say yes!!
There's been a number of pubs (Dublin-centric) with decent Irish ales on sale for years, so get in them and give them your money!

More generally, it doesn't mean anything significant. It's just a collection of Irish craft/micro brewers selling their wares. They'll gladly sell in to any pub (margins on a par with the major breweries); it's just that it requires extra effort, and a supportive/enthusiastic staff. Until they break the 5% market share, it's unlikely that we'll see any mass take up from the mainstream pubs. Until then, we can reward those who have stocked Irish beers, and support the industry. Publicans won't stock the unknown entity, unless they know there's a demand for it.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

meinster wrote:Even better, show your season ticket or match ticket for half price admission!
Can't see that on the website; you sure?

Don't want to be faced with angry friends if I promise them half-price admission post-match.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

meinster wrote:
Yes, as per R-Dog's link above. Last year it included a pint and a souvenir pint glass (that you wash and re-use yourself).
Doesn't seem to include the pint this year, just the glass and the opportunity to spend lots of money. :)
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

TheBear wrote:
meinster wrote:
Doesn't seem to include the pint this year, just the glass and the opportunity to spend lots of money. :)
Feck that. It's a show where people want to generate customers for their products. I would expect free in and the odd "sample" as well.

Strike that one off the list.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

TheBear wrote:Doesn't seem to include the pint this year, just the glass and the opportunity to spend lots of money. :)
Dammit!

Match/season ticket reduction announcement on their Facebook.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

meinster wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Does this mean that finally we are going to have a decent choice of ales in Irish pubs? Please say yes!!
There's been a number of pubs (Dublin-centric) with decent Irish ales on sale for years, so get in them and give them your money!

More generally, it doesn't mean anything significant. It's just a collection of Irish craft/micro brewers selling their wares. They'll gladly sell in to any pub (margins on a par with the major breweries); it's just that it requires extra effort, and a supportive/enthusiastic staff. Until they break the 5% market share, it's unlikely that we'll see any mass take up from the mainstream pubs. Until then, we can reward those who have stocked Irish beers, and support the industry. Publicans won't stock the unknown entity, unless they know there's a demand for it.
I usually pop into the Porterhouse when in Dublin but as I've lived abroad for over a decade now that's pretty much all I know concerning Irish ales and the pubs that sell them. I love the variety of local and seasonal real ales that we can get in most pubs in England. I usually mention this when back my local in Dublin but the last time the barman said he liked Guinness and that ended the conversation :(
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

domhnallj wrote:
meinster wrote:

I usually pop into the Porterhouse when in Dublin but as I've lived abroad for over a decade now that's pretty much all I know concerning Irish ales and the pubs that sell them. I love the variety of local and seasonal real ales that we can get in most pubs in England. I usually mention this when back my local in Dublin but the last time the barman said he liked Guinness and that ended the conversation :(
You should try Against the Grain on Wexford Street; they have a pretty good range of beers, both Irish and foreign beers.

There's also The Bull & Castle opposite Christchurch. They have a beer hall upstairs, and have a wonderful range of beers. They also have beer specials on most of the time, a beer that they wouldn't normally have and try to promote. They stock quite a few of the smaller Irish breweries' tipples.

(No connection, btw, other than the fact that I'm married to a beer fan.)
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

TheBear wrote: You should try Against the Grain on Wexford Street; they have a pretty good range of beers, both Irish and foreign beers.

There's also The Bull & Castle opposite Christchurch. They have a beer hall upstairs, and have a wonderful range of beers. They also have beer specials on most of the time, a beer that they wouldn't normally have and try to promote. They stock quite a few of the smaller Irish breweries' tipples.

(No connection, btw, other than the fact that I'm married to a beer fan.)
Thanks for that. I will drop in when back.

meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

domhnallj wrote:but the last time the barman said he liked Guinness and that ended the conversation :(
There's still a lot of that (especially when said barmen were directly incentivised (is that a make-y-up word?!), in some cases, years ago. It's slowly changing though. Just keep the pressure up! Porterhouse are in Convent Garden as well, if you're ever nearby and in need of an Irish ale!
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

meinster wrote:
TheBear wrote:Doesn't seem to include the pint this year, just the glass and the opportunity to spend lots of money. :)
Dammit!

Match/season ticket reduction announcement on their Facebook.
Thanks.

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but could anyone who was there last year tell me if they sell any drink other than beer? I want to go to it with friends, but I'm not a beer drinker. Is it a case of bringing a flask in with me?
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

TheBear wrote:Perhaps this is a dumb question, but could anyone who was there last year tell me if they sell any drink other than beer? I want to go to it with friends, but I'm not a beer drinker. Is it a case of bringing a flask in with me?
They had Irish whiskeys (2 distillers' stalls, I think; was too drunk to get that far!). I don't see any mention of that this year, though, so you might want to check with them. There'll be loads of decent cider (and apple juice!), if that helps.