Authentic spicy Indian and malaysian restaurants

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Donald
Mullet

Authentic spicy Indian and malaysian restaurants

Post by Donald »

Have a few Indian and Malaysian staff with me in the office for a week and they are looking for good authentic Indian or Malaysian restaurants and not Thai or Chinese which are more popular around Dublin. Any suggestions? I know of Ananda, Sagaar abd then Langkawai. Anything else?
Come live with me in SEALAND!!
TheBear
Enlightened

Re: Authentic spicy Indian and malaysian restaurants

Post by TheBear »

Shangri-La on Manor Street is a reasonably good Malaysian restaurant.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
mfjoc
Graduate

Post by mfjoc »

Donald wrote:Have a few Indian and Malaysian staff with me in the office for a week and they are looking for good authentic Indian or Malaysian restaurants and not Thai or Chinese which are more popular around Dublin. Any suggestions? I know of Ananda, Sagaar abd then Langkawai. Anything else?
Why Indian food at all?
Surely while they are here they would like to try the best of Irish cusine.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

mfjoc wrote:
Donald wrote:Have a few Indian and Malaysian staff with me in the office for a week and they are looking for good authentic Indian or Malaysian restaurants and not Thai or Chinese which are more popular around Dublin. Any suggestions? I know of Ananda, Sagaar abd then Langkawai. Anything else?
Why Indian food at all?
Burdocks?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mfjoc wrote:
Why Indian food at all?
Its something I often wonder about in restaurants with large tourist market. Why dont they serve really good Irish dishes like bacon and cabbage and Irish stew. The ingredients are so cheap and yet the end product can be so good.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Monty's of montys of Kathmandu in Temple Bar. Hands down the best. Better value (and food imo) than Ananda or Rasam (in Glasthule), both of which are great Indians if overpriced. Can't beat Monty's

or else have a look in here....
http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic ... nt#p494550
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Hacker G
Knowledgeable

Post by Hacker G »

Kinara on the Clontarf Rd (by the bridge out to Dollymount) is a very good Indian.
There's a Malaysian restaurant on North Wall Quay, but i've not actually eaten there so can't say how good or otherwise it is.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Scott wrote:Monty's of montys of Kathmandu in Temple Bar. Hands down the best. Better value (and food imo) than Ananda or Rasam (in Glasthule), both of which are great Indians if overpriced. Can't beat Monty's

or else have a look in here....
http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic ... nt#p494550
That's Nepalese, though.

Vermilion in Terenure, Jaipur on George's St.

I agree though, I'd be taking them somewhere with decent, local food. They can eat Indian or Malaysian at home!
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
Donald
Mullet

Post by Donald »

They have been dined out every night with the company in popular Irish type restaurants so are asking for one night for some local Indian or Malaysian dishes. Thanks for some of those additional suggestions.
Come live with me in SEALAND!!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

honeyec wrote:Vermilion in Terenure
Cannot recommend this one enough, plus added bonus of pints before/after in the Terenure Inn and you could walk up the road to Lakelands to take in one of the most senic rugby clubs in the country and enjoy a cracking game if you get down there on a Saturday pre dinner.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TerenureJim wrote:
honeyec wrote:Vermilion in Terenure
Cannot recommend this one enough, plus added bonus of pints before/after in the Terenure Inn and you could walk up the road to Lakelands to take in one of the most senic rugby clubs in the country and enjoy a cracking game if you get down there on a Saturday pre dinner.
Hmmmm. If it's up to the standards of the other 2 establishments then I'm not sure I can take that much excitement in the one weekend.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I like Vermillion - they use fresh ingredients and treat them well unlike very many Indian food establishments - but my wife refuses to go on the reasonable basis that the food is not in any way spicy. The same can be said of Jaipur (which is a quality restaurant and has always had a very fine and reasonably priced wine list - you could find many of the same bottles in Eden for a tenner more) and the last time my wife went there (I haven't been in a couple of years) she said the menu had got more Irish. I always saw them as European fusion restaurants anyway, modern Indian and not close to the standard balti/curry house. And I don't mean that as an insult to them. We were very regular patrons of Jaipur in particular for many years before we stopped going out.
Rogocoko
Knowledgeable

Post by Rogocoko »

Kinara in Clontarf is great.. the y also have one in Ranelgah and one by another name in Malahide...

However theres nothing I enjoy more than a Jewel in the Crown and a few Cobras in Ballsbridge after a Leinster Game!
Munster. I hate the word, as I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Rogocoko wrote:Kinara in Clontarf is great.. the y also have one in Ranelgah and one by another name in Malahide...

However theres nothing I enjoy more than a Jewel in the Crown and a few Cobras in Ballsbridge after a Leinster Game!
Yeah all of Kinara, Punjab right beside it in Ranelagh and Jewel down in Ballsbridge are great options. I find Kinara can be a bit on the pricy side but it is slightly fancier and there's a tasty bar.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

TerenureJim wrote:
Rogocoko wrote:Kinara in Clontarf is great.. the y also have one in Ranelgah and one by another name in Malahide...

Yeah all of Kinara, Punjab right beside it in Ranelagh and Jewel down in Ballsbridge are great options. I find Kinara can be a bit on the pricy side but it is slightly fancier and there's a tasty bar.
Tasty bar is right, they do Green Spot 8)
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

RoboProp wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:

Tasty bar is right, they do Green Spot 8)
Jewel is good but if you want Malaysian id suggest http://www.langkawi.ie/

Always had great food - the John dorey with chilie, soy and scallions is superb - upper baggot st great for après match nosh