The Breakdown

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: The Breakdown

Post by Donny B. »

Scott wrote:
Donny B. wrote:They've been showing a kind of replacement called "In Touch" with some highlights from the top two Pro12 and Top14 games. No analysis though.

Francis being off the air is of course a blessing, and I was getting kinda tired of Mattie to be honest, but why can't they get some other lads in? It's not like there's a shortage of pundits out there at the moment.

Excellent didn't realise that they had a Pro12 highlights pack. I know they still show the Top14 & Aviva highlights package so that's great news will keep an eye out
Don't get your hopes up though. From the ones I've seen so far, they generally only show highlights from the lives games featuring the big Irish teams. I'd really love to see a highlights package that showed all Pro12 six games, especially the derbies from Wales, which has all but disappeared from our screens unless you have BBC Wales/ S4C.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

The Pro12 badly needs a central broadcast partner (at least for Britain and Ireland).
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Cianostays wrote:I reckon a highlights show could become a ratings success and can't understand why there appears to be a complete lack of interest on RTE's part for making said show. It'd surely get more viewers than MNS would.
RTE have to show MNS as part of the rights deal for football internationals, no chance they'd do it otherwise. One of the few good things the FAI managed.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Schumi wrote:
Cianostays wrote:I reckon a highlights show could become a ratings success and can't understand why there appears to be a complete lack of interest on RTE's part for making said show. It'd surely get more viewers than MNS would.
RTE have to show MNS as part of the rights deal for football internationals, no chance they'd do it otherwise. One of the few good things the FAI managed.
I wonder what the viewing figures are for MNS
Dont Panic!
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Dexter wrote:
Schumi wrote:
I wonder what the viewing figures are for MNS
I don't know but live League of Ireland games have tended to get pretty solid ratings (at least on a par with RTE's English football highlights) from what I've heard.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Guys, MNS is actually far more popular than you're giving credit for. There's a lot of people out there who will watch any football once it's on, and it has nothing to compete with on Monday nights.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

gfo wrote:Guys, MNS is actually far more popular than you're giving credit for. There's a lot of people out there who will watch any football once it's on, and it has nothing to compete with on Monday nights.
Pork Chop night??
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Peg Leg wrote:
gfo wrote:Guys, MNS is actually far more popular than you're giving credit for. There's a lot of people out there who will watch any football once it's on, and it has nothing to compete with on Monday nights.
Pork Chop night??
Meat Loaf night in my house
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

People eat the same food on the same night every week? Thought that went out with the 1980s
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:People eat the same food on the same night every week? Thought that went out with the 1980s
It's the thought of Pork Chops that gets me through a monday, every other day is anyone's guess!
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

hate pork. chops or otherwise.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

johng wrote:People eat the same food on the same night every week? Thought that went out with the 1980s
I eat fish on a Friday: fishmonger is loaded with cheap fresh fish that day. I usually eat a steak on Saturday because I used to eat it on Friday but since we moved near a good fishmonger I don't and I like to eat steak on a weekend night because it really needs a nice red wine to go with it.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

fourthirtythree wrote:
I eat fish on a Friday: fishmonger is loaded with cheap fresh fish that day. I usually eat a steak on Saturday because I used to eat it on Friday but since we moved near a good fishmonger I don't and I like to eat steak on a weekend night because it really needs a nice red wine to go with it.
Heathen :twisted:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

each to his own. I would hate to have my life planed out to that degree. it was never a thing in our house. so I've always looked on it as strange. I probably have routine in parts of my life that others would look on as strange too.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

TerenureJim wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:
Heathen :twisted:
For sure :D That said fish on a friday makes perfect sense. If you're on a budget and want to entertain you could do a lot worse than popping down to a fishmonger on Meath st. and see what's on special. You could have your main course sorted for four people for well under a fiver. The missus tends to go for tuna if it's cheap (not in Meath st.) but if there's an interesting special like turbot/brill or real salmon (I never touch farmed salmon. Sea chicken. Disgusting.) or shark (shark tends to be cheap in Ireland when we have it Porbeagle, tasty, usually very fresh also) we go for that. So it's not like it's the same thing. It does require that you are flexible with your cooking but I think you should always go out shopping for special meals with the mindset "what's good in the shops right now?" and build your menu around that rather than decide something in advance from a recipe.

My winter entertaining on a budget tip is still venison four steaks for a tenner (Donnybrook fair last time I checked) , game chips (parsnips sliced in the oven) and hot port (Lidl's port at 6.50 a bottle is excellent).
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:each to his own. I would hate to have my life planed out to that degree. it was never a thing in our house. so I've always looked on it as strange. I probably have routine in parts of my life that others would look on as strange too.
Having pork chops on a Monday, would not account for a whole digit percentage of the weekly planning (I don't do much planing)involved in any persons life!
Daniel Sullivan
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

This thread is now about dinner routines
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

gfo wrote:This thread is now about dinner routines
"The breakdown" of your dinner routine, if you will?
Daniel Sullivan
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Havn't had a pork chop in this ages....
Not since I left the aul ones gaff I suspect.
Pork chops of a Monday, now they were the days.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Mackman15 wrote:Havn't had a pork chop in this ages....
Not since I left the aul ones gaff I suspect.
Pork chops of a Monday, now they were the days.
Don't forget the apple sauce