Protein Shake muscle build advice

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Donald
Mullet

Protein Shake muscle build advice

Post by Donald »

Not a long term gym fan or gym as you perhaps can tell as I do not know some of the weight type exercise names below but decided to start doing some serious good consistent gym work over past 8 months and going at least 2/3 or even 4 times a week sometimes and for 60 - 90 minute sessions each time. My main goal is to gain upper body muscle in biceps, triceps, shoulders and neck, chest and abs. I have been taking 1 shaker of 100% gold standard whey protein during my work out and have found it useful but looking to kick it up a notch and wondering if anyone knows of a better type shake or brand of shake to use in order to increase muscle size. My typical workout details are below but vary depending on the day or time available to me on the day. Any pointers would be helpful but firstly looking to also chnage the protein shake to see if there are better ones on the market ideally from the iprotein store.

Free weights
3 sets 10 reps * 50kg Bench flat chest lift (1 long barbell)
3 sets 10 reps * 55kg Bench flat chest lift (2 dumb bells i.e. 2 * 27.5kg bells etc etc)
3 sets 12 reps * 55kg rows with one leg kneeled on bench (2 dumb bells)
3 sets 12 reps * 55kg free standing shoulder / neck area lifts gentle exercise (2 dumb bells)
3 sets 10 reps * 45kg seated angled / inclined chest / shoulder lifts (2 dumb bells)
3 sets 12 reps * 34 kg free standing bicep curls (2 dumb bells)
3 sets 12 reps * 25 kg free standing bicep curl (1 long barbell)
3 sets 10 reps * 25kg free standing arm curl from floor to chin oppostine to curl inward ?? (1 long barbell)

Machines
3 sets 12 reps * 69kg seated chest ply pulling weight from body side inward to chest area
3 sets 10 reps * 50kg seated chest press grip pushing weight forward and back and not from side to side. Not a seated row machine though
3 sets 10 reps * 60 kg seated lat pulls

Others (not weight machines)
2 sets 10 reps of free standing chin ups. No weights.
4 sets 30 reps of declined angled sit ups
2 sets 20 reps press ups.
10 minutes on treadmill or outdoor jogging or 10 minutes on bike. I concentrate more on weights in the gym as I tend to get enough cardio type exercise outside of the gym.
Come live with me in SEALAND!!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Protein Shake muscle build advice

Post by Flash Gordon »

Over to you Grumpy......
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Probably not what you want to read but.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18863293

Dr Heneghan said: "The evidence does not stack up and the quality of the evidence does not allow us to say these do improve in performance or recovery and should be used as a product widely."

Nutrition expert Professor Mike Lean of the University of Glasgow described what little evidence there is that certain amino acids, which form part of proteins, may improve muscle strength as "absolutely fringe evidence and I think that that is almost totally irrelevant, even at the top level of athletics".

Prof Lean said the market for supplements is "yet another fashion accessory for exercise… and a rather expensive way of getting a bit of milk."
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
was never late ref
Learner

Post by was never late ref »

Seems like your honest hard work in the gym with the rountine you have , is and will continue to show its benefits ....... no need for additional protein

Work out hard, rest well , and eat good food....... will always show the desired benefits !

well done on doing it ...
i was knackered from just reading it !!
"it was late in your opinion ref, personally i believe i hit him as soon as i could !!!! "
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Possibly a bit imbalanced that routine. No tricep work. Loads of bicep. Lot of Chest less back.

Building size and power perhaps drop the reps and bring the weight up gradually. Not massively just steady progress week on week.

The bigger the muscles worked the more overall benefit. Upper body muscles in order are Back, Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Biceps.

You will always train the smaller muscles while using free weights on the larger ones, so always work from biggest to smallest.

Training chest and shoulders together is not always great as you use your shoulders (and triceps) a lot doing chest.

You don't mention your legs. (I know you said you wanted to gain on the upper body) Don't neglect them though.

Split routines are great once you get beyond beginner stage.

I have mainly used either 3 way split, (Legs one day, Back and Chest another, Shoulders and arms another) or a 2 way. (Legs chest and triceps, back shoulders and biceps) You can combine things differently, I have found those good.

You can really lash each area out of it, and if you are training with enough intensity once a week per muscle group is plenty.

3 way split would be about an hour per workout. 2 way a bit more.

Personally I like a set of 10 or so to warm up and 3 or 4 low rep high intensity sets per exercise.

Having said all that they are general guidelines, and you will get a different routine from each person you ask. Find what works for you, and most importantly what makes you want to come back each week.

No point having the most advanced workout on the planet if you hate it and give up after a month.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Take a look at this website:
http://scoobysworkshop.com/
The guy know his stuff and goes into great detail about protein intake, how, why etc.
His voice is a bit annoying but, whilst I may deviate from his routines, his advice thus far has proved to be sound.

BTW if its mass your looking for, less reps - more weight.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I would agree with JohnG. I am a firm believer in compound over isolation. And to paraphrase Boromir...One does not simply skip squats and get bigger. You have to squat, bench.and deadlift if you want size. Keep going you will get there.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Peg Leg wrote:Take a look at this website:
http://scoobysworkshop.com/
The guy know his stuff and goes into great detail about protein intake, how, why etc.
His voice is a bit annoying but, whilst I may deviate from his routines, his advice thus far has proved to be sound.

BTW if its mass your looking for, less reps - more weight.

Solid advice there especially with regards to cardio. I like the advice that you need a solid twenty minutes at elevated heart rate to get the benefits; I find a 2.5 minute sprint on the rower before doing a three/four mile run gets you straight into the zone without wasting the first half mile.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

There was a thread here a few years ago that had a lot of good advice, as above.
On the Protein shake idea you are better off with lean meat. It is the same price for 100g of Smoked Salmon (€2.50 in Lidl) as a lot of the shakes or bars and gives about 20-25g of protein. I wish I had some recipes for you but I won't be inviting come dine with me around for breakfast any time soon.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

StrangeButBlue wrote:There was a thread here a few years ago that had a lot of good advice, as above.
On the Protein shake idea you are better off with lean meat. It is the same price for 100g of Smoked Salmon (€2.50 in Lidl) as a lot of the shakes or bars and gives about 20-25g of protein. I wish I had some recipes for you but I won't be inviting come dine with me around for breakfast any time soon.
this thread? http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18753
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Donald wrote:Not a long term gym fan or gym as you perhaps can tell as I do not know some of the weight type exercise names below but decided to start doing some serious good consistent gym work over past 8 months and going at least 2/3 or even 4 times a week sometimes and for 60 - 90 minute sessions each time. My main goal is to gain upper body muscle in biceps, triceps, shoulders and neck, chest and abs. I have been taking 1 shaker of 100% gold standard whey protein during my work out and have found it useful but looking to kick it up a notch and wondering if anyone knows of a better type shake or brand of shake to use in order to increase muscle size. My typical workout details are below but vary depending on the day or time available to me on the day. Any pointers would be helpful but firstly looking to also chnage the protein shake to see if there are better ones on the market ideally from the iprotein store.

Free weights
3 sets 10 reps * 50kg Bench flat chest lift (1 long barbell)
3 sets 10 reps * 55kg Bench flat chest lift (2 dumb bells i.e. 2 * 27.5kg bells etc etc)
3 sets 12 reps * 55kg rows with one leg kneeled on bench (2 dumb bells)
3 sets 12 reps * 55kg free standing shoulder / neck area lifts gentle exercise (2 dumb bells)
3 sets 10 reps * 45kg seated angled / inclined chest / shoulder lifts (2 dumb bells)
3 sets 12 reps * 34 kg free standing bicep curls (2 dumb bells)
3 sets 12 reps * 25 kg free standing bicep curl (1 long barbell)
3 sets 10 reps * 25kg free standing arm curl from floor to chin oppostine to curl inward ?? (1 long barbell)

Machines
3 sets 12 reps * 69kg seated chest ply pulling weight from body side inward to chest area
3 sets 10 reps * 50kg seated chest press grip pushing weight forward and back and not from side to side. Not a seated row machine though
3 sets 10 reps * 60 kg seated lat pulls

Others (not weight machines)
2 sets 10 reps of free standing chin ups. No weights.
4 sets 30 reps of declined angled sit ups
2 sets 20 reps press ups.
10 minutes on treadmill or outdoor jogging or 10 minutes on bike. I concentrate more on weights in the gym as I tend to get enough cardio type exercise outside of the gym.
Thats alot of exercises there.
4 main lifts you need as the centre of your program;
Bench
Squat
Shoulder Press
Deadlift.
I would also add pull-ups/Chin-ups or Lat Pull-down.
Warm up set of 10 reps, then say 4 sets of 6-8. 60-90 second break.
Look to add weight every session and ultimately super-set that bad-boy (or triple set).

As someone said, go for Compound lifts (mentioned above) which utilise the major (and more muscles) while also expending the most energy.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Another thing is Diet. 4 - 6 meals a day. Try to get lean protein into every meal. Go for unprocessed meats, don't skip veg and mix in almonds & blueberries into your snacks. Plenty of water as well (2 litres or a little more is sufficient).
Wouldn't worry bout the shakes - they're generally laced with sugar.
Cut down on Pasta, rice and potatoes if you can - not necessarily completely but certainly smaller portions when eaten.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

tones wrote:Another thing is Diet. 4 - 6 meals a day. Try to get lean protein into every meal. Go for unprocessed meats, don't skip veg and mix in almonds & blueberries into your snacks. Plenty of water as well (2 litres or a little more is sufficient).
Cut down on Pasta, rice and potatoes if you can - not necessarily completely but certainly smaller portions when eaten.
Great advice here, for my money the shakes are just expensive piss, better off spending the money down at a quality butcher (not the supermarket) on decent cuts of meat. Get down to Camden St, great selection of quality butchers IMO, good little veg shop down there too on Wexford St just after Whelans.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

TerenureJim wrote:
tones wrote:Another thing is Diet. 4 - 6 meals a day. Try to get lean protein into every meal. Go for unprocessed meats, don't skip veg and mix in almonds & blueberries into your snacks. Plenty of water as well (2 litres or a little more is sufficient).
Great advice here, for my money the shakes are just expensive piss, better off spending the money down at a quality butcher (not the supermarket) on decent cuts of meat. Get down to Camden St, great selection of quality butchers IMO, good little veg shop down there too on Wexford St just after Whelans.
Are the butchers reasonably priced?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Evergreen veg shop that TJ is referring to is usually really good for mushrooms this time of the year BTW all you mycophiles out there. Haven't been in a while mind.

Yes the butchers around there are reasonably priced IIRC. It's good to get a regular one for yourself, you can get deals that way.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

If you're worried about immediate post workout Protein intake, then Milk is probably just as effective. Supermilk in particular. sh!t load of protein. Couple of hard boiled eggs in a small tupperware box. Would work too.

Ingesting your protein right before you hit the Gym Floor is an option too.

I suggest getting subscription to Mens Health. The science behind their advice probably makes it the best advice around in Mag or Online form
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Benefits of milks outlined in the attached article - great post Darce

http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/2994 ... ts-of-milk
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

tones wrote:Benefits of milks outlined in the attached article - great post Darce

http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/2994 ... ts-of-milk
Except it tastes like milk!!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Darce wrote:If you're worried about immediate post workout Protein intake, then Milk is probably just as effective. Supermilk in particular. sh!t load of protein. Couple of hard boiled eggs in a small tupperware box. Would work too.

Ingesting your protein right before you hit the Gym Floor is an option too.

I suggest getting subscription to Mens Health. The science behind their advice probably makes it the best advice around in Mag or Online form
Milk makes a lot of sense. Thanks

A subscription to Mens Health on the other hand is interesting, every time I read it, I think the same - This is really useful stuff,if only I could remember it in the gym, I am sure I heard this somewhere before - Oh yeah, I read this in the last Men's health I bought.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Do you have a smartphone? If so, bring it to the gym floor. I do.

Or I print out my workout
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on