iMac and wifi drop off

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

PCASEY
Knowledgeable

iMac and wifi drop off

Post by PCASEY »

Can anyone out ther help me with an iMac wifi problem?

IMac sitting on my desk keeps loosing the wifi connection and won't pick it up again without switching wifi on and off. It's not a prob with the wifi box itself as iPhone, iPad and lap top all see it fine and hold the connection permanently only the iMac drops the signal.

Have tried updating the software, have also upgraded to mountain lion but problem still remains. Thought it may be interference from blue tooth - but no real way to test that as mac has wireless keyboard and mouse so switching them off means I can't use the mac.

Searched the web for advice and no success there other than plenty of people with the same issue.

Anyone got a fix for this?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: iMac and wifi drop off

Post by Dave Cahill »

PCASEY wrote:Can anyone out ther help me with an iMac wifi problem?

IMac sitting on my desk keeps loosing the wifi connection and won't pick it up again without switching wifi on and off. It's not a prob with the wifi box itself as iPhone, iPad and lap top all see it fine and hold the connection permanently only the iMac drops the signal.

Have tried updating the software, have also upgraded to mountain lion but problem still remains. Thought it may be interference from blue tooth - but no real way to test that as mac has wireless keyboard and mouse so switching them off means I can't use the mac.

Searched the web for advice and no success there other than plenty of people with the same issue.

Anyone got a fix for this?
What wifi protocol is your router? And your airport card on your mac? (if you hold down the option (alt) key and click on the wifi status on the menu bar you'll see this and other useful info there). Whats the channel, transmit rate and the wavelength?
I have Bumbleflex
PCASEY
Knowledgeable

Post by PCASEY »

Dave Cahill wrote:
What wifi protocol is your router? And your airport card on your mac? (if you hold down the option (alt) key and click on the wifi status on the menu bar you'll see this and other useful info there). Whats the channel, transmit rate and the wavelength?
CHANNEL 2, 2.4 GHz
transmit rate 65

security key wpa2-psk[eas]

not sure where to get the airport card details.

the one thing which seems to have helped is to switch from dynamic to static IP, dont know if its just coincidence but connection has held since i tried this
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

If the static connection works, then I'd be happy enough. It could be a problem with your router assiging IP addresses. I'd also say that your transmit rate is low - is there a big distance between the router and your pc? Also, and I'm not sure that this is an actual thing, but I always go for Channel 1 when I'm setting up a router
I have Bumbleflex