Pub Suggestions

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Pub Suggestions

Post by OTT »

johng wrote:Need something similar in Feb but for 100 or so. Any good (read cheap) suggestions?

Toner's I believe their function room's are free (cant get cheaper then that) and they can cater for those numbers.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

OTT wrote:
johng wrote:Need something similar in Feb but for 100 or so. Any good (read cheap) suggestions?

Toner's I believe their function room's are free (cant get cheaper then that) and they can cater for those numbers.
And the added nostalgia factor of drinking there in our school days..... I like it.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

johng wrote:
OTT wrote:

And the added nostalgia factor of drinking there in our school days..... I like it.

Ha. No doubt the decor is of similart vintage!
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

OTT wrote:
johng wrote:
OTT wrote:

Ha. No doubt the decor is of similart vintage!
It pre-dates all of us. They are afraid to change it. The aulfellah who used to run it then (Ned) was like our Da. I remember him coming in after running one of the 1st Dublin marathons and serving behind the bar for the rest of the night. (He must have been a fair age too)

Haven't been in Keoghs in Ann st in years but that was the same, they were afraid to do it up in case people wouldn't like it. Did they ever do it?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Actually on Toners. There was scene in a a James Coburn movie shot there in the 60s. Probably had the same decor in that too.

Ah found it.

Duck, You Sucker! (Italian: Giù la testa), also known as A Fistful of Dynamite and Once Upon a Time… the Revolution, is a 1971 Zapata Western film directed by Sergio Leone and starring Rod Steiger and James Coburn.

Filming

Exterior filming mostly took place in Andalucía, Spain. Some of the locations used previously featured in Leone's Dollar Trilogy films; for example, the Almería Railway Station, used for the train sequence in For a Few Dollars More, returns in this film as Mesa Verde's station.[7] The flashback scenes with Sean and friends were shot at Howth Castle in Co. Dublin, and Toner's Pub on Baggot Street, Dublin.[7]
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Thanks for the Solas and Bull & Castle suggestions both are good but unfortunately we're in Solas on Sat for a mate's homecoming (obv. not an unfortunate event) and had the 30th in Bull & Castle so while both are great we're hoping to get someplace new.

Anyone know if Against The Grain has a function room it has been getting great reviews since it changed from Carnival back in the day.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

TerenureJim wrote:Thanks for the Solas and Bull & Castle suggestions both are good but unfortunately we're in Solas on Sat for a mate's homecoming (obv. not an unfortunate event) and had the 30th in Bull & Castle so while both are great we're hoping to get someplace new.

Anyone know if Against The Grain has a function room it has been getting great reviews since it changed from Carnival back in the day.
It has an upstairs room that can be booked, but I don't know if there's a fee, and I don't know if they tend to open it to the public on a normal night. Also, there isn't a bar upstairs in the room. May not be a deal breaker, but it's handy to have the bar close by.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

johng wrote:Ah sorry. That was always the Waterloo. Don't mind me. The Clubhouse is now the Wellington.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEjo0ajod1M
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Anyone know if Toners function rooms have separate bars?
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
johng wrote:Ah sorry. That was always the Waterloo. Don't mind me. The Clubhouse is now the Wellington.
:happy clapper:
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

johng wrote:
OTT wrote:
johng wrote:

It pre-dates all of us. They are afraid to change it. The aulfellah who used to run it then (Ned) was like our Da. I remember him coming in after running one of the 1st Dublin marathons and serving behind the bar for the rest of the night. (He must have been a fair age too)

Haven't been in Keoghs in Ann st in years but that was the same, they were afraid to do it up in case people wouldn't like it. Did they ever do it?
Nope, was in there last Easter with some visiting American pals and it was as I'd remembered it from the late '80's.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

tones wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
:happy clapper:
I don't normally like forced American humour, but this is a good one.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Validated! :D