Pub Suggestions

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Pub Suggestions

Post by TerenureJim »

Need to book an event room for maybe 25-30 people somewhere in town can anyone recommend a place, have looked at the Odessa club but I think they're looking for about €300 based on website info and while its a decent place I'm sort of hoping to get a room cheaper or perhaps free

Also Clarendon and Solas are out as friends have used them recently and want to try some place new.

Any suggestions folks?
John23
Enlightened

Re: Pub Suggestions

Post by John23 »

TerenureJim wrote:Need to book an event room for maybe 25-30 people somewhere in town can anyone recommend a place, have looked at the Odessa club but I think they're looking for about €300 based on website info and while its a decent place I'm sort of hoping to get a room cheaper or perhaps free

Also Clarendon and Solas are out as friends have used them recently and want to try some place new.

Any suggestions folks?
Stag's Head, Dame Lane have a room that might suit your needs
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

The Bankers on Trinity Street has a fairly small room upstairs too. Been to a comedy show up there and it might be worth inquiring about.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Need something similar in Feb but for 100 or so. Any good (read cheap) suggestions?
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

johng wrote:Need something similar in Feb but for 100 or so. Any good (read cheap) suggestions?
City centre?
TerenureJim wrote:Need to book an event room for maybe 25-30 people somewhere in town can anyone recommend a place, have looked at the Odessa club but I think they're looking for about €300 based on website info and while its a decent place I'm sort of hoping to get a room cheaper or perhaps free

Any suggestions folks?
Does it have to be a separate room, or will an area in a bar do?

The Waterloo has an upstairs bar which can be reserved for free. It's just beside the heated smoking area, so people can overflow into there. As there's a bar up there, there's less risk of diluting the group. It holds about 100-120 people comfortably (so could suit johng's needs too?), so might be too big. There's an alcove area downstairs that can be booked too. Details here.

Edit: Just noticed that you said it should be in town, so the Waterloo may be too far out. Will do some more thinking.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

We had a class reunion in Doheny & Nesbitts upstairs a few years back-Seperate bar as well. Great night had by all(approx 70) and there was plenty of room without being too big. Cannot remember the cost(it was minimal iirc)...as I said, it was a few years back, you'd need to get current info directly from them.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TheBear wrote:
johng wrote:Need something similar in Feb but for 100 or so. Any good (read cheap) suggestions?
City centre?

Any suggestions folks?

The Waterloo has an upstairs bar which can be reserved for free. It's just beside the heated smoking area, so people can overflow into there. As there's a bar up there, there's less risk of diluting the group. It holds about 100-120 people comfortably (so could suit johng's needs too?), so might be too big. There's an alcove area downstairs that can be booked too. Details here.

Edit: Just noticed that you said it should be in town, so the Waterloo may be too far out. Will do some more thinking.
Waterloo may do it. Thanks Bear.

Was trying to choose between somewhere in town or perhaps west to accommodate people from outside Dublin.

Looks nice. And being on the canal the muc...eh culc.......Non Dubs could find it easy.

That's the one that used to be the Clubhouse?
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Depending on what your event is, O'Donaghues, O'Reillys and Doheny & Nesbits all have separate bar/function areas, Russell court hotel has a wide range of rooms/areas too. Sycamore club has a nice roof top open air bar also(heated)

Any pub looking to charge you should be told to F**K Off, I'm sure if your ring around enough places you might even find somewhere that will throw in free finger food etc
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

johng wrote:
TheBear wrote:
City centre?

Any suggestions folks?

Waterloo may do it. Thanks Bear.

Was trying to choose between somewhere in town or perhaps west to accommodate people from outside Dublin.

Looks nice. And being on the canal the muc...eh culc.......Non Dubs could find it easy.

That's the one that used to be the Clubhouse?
Not sure what it was previously, as I'm just a whipper-snapper. It's the one that's to the left of Searson's, about two doors down, as you're looking at them.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ah sorry. That was always the Waterloo. Don't mind me. The Clubhouse is now the Wellington.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

johng wrote:Ah sorry. That was always the Waterloo. Don't mind me. The Clubhouse is now the Wellington.
The Wellington goes back a lot further than that John, a lot further.

Thanks for suggestions guys, can't go for D&G or O'Ds as they've all been used by mates, very very recently.
Blow in
Beginner

Post by Blow in »

Could I slightly hijack this thread for my own needs.

Got a crowd coming over for the Heineken Cup final weekend. Accommodation sorted at The Burlington, most other things falling into place.

Despite living here I don't know Dublin at all well; recommendations for pubs around Mespil Rd, Baggot St, Haddington Rd, etc much appreciated.

Thanks
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Blow in wrote:Could I slightly hijack this thread for my own needs.

Got a crowd coming over for the Heineken Cup final weekend. Accommodation sorted at The Burlington, most other things falling into place.

Despite living here I don't know Dublin at all well; recommendations for pubs around Mespil Rd, Baggot St, Haddington Rd, etc much appreciated.

Thanks
On match day every pub is usually fairly busy Just follow the crowds
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TerenureJim wrote:
johng wrote:Ah sorry. That was always the Waterloo. Don't mind me. The Clubhouse is now the Wellington.
The Wellington goes back a lot further than that John, a lot further.
Than what?

Like the Bleeden Horse. It only reverted to that name after many years being called something else.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I was at a friend's thing in Solas on Wexford St. a year ago. It was really good. Room was free, I think they might have paid for the food. There was music in the "outdoor" smoking area (heated and covered) and there was a smaller indoor area too. All the way at the top of the stairs.

They have a proper range of nice beer too. Talking of which have you thought of O'Neils of Suffolk St? They have a room i think and they have an excellent selection of craft beers on draught.

I have difficulty caring about going to a pub with Guincarleken etc. only.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

fourthirtythree wrote:I was at a friend's thing in Solas on Wexford St. a year ago. It was really good. Room was free, I think they might have paid for the food. There was music in the "outdoor" smoking area (heated and covered) and there was a smaller indoor area too. All the way at the top of the stairs.

They have a proper range of nice beer too. Talking of which have you thought of O'Neils of Suffolk St? They have a room i think and they have an excellent selection of craft beers on draught.

I have difficulty caring about going to a pub with Guincarleken etc. only.
Ah Yer fecken ruined you. You need a few weeks in the 1970s where EVERY pub had Harp Guinness AND Smithwicks. It all went wrong around the time of Guinness light..........
Woody01
Bookworm

Post by Woody01 »

Any suggestions folks?
Jim, we have used The Bull and Castle in Christchurch for staff Xmas parties the past two years (last Friday included) and it has
always been excellent. We had tried booking elsewhere but hard to find a not too formal place to book thats not just a restaurant.
In the end all very happy with Bull and Castle again.

http://bull-and-castle.fxbuckley.ie/

You have the hall area downstairs for food which is quite good and then another large bar area upstairs also serving food
and drink. Really good selection of draught and bottled craft beers and for the food you have FXB's steaks and burgers which
are excellent.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Harp's better than people think. I had a mate who was a social scientist for Diageo (young people in Ireland don't drink enough vodka so they headhunted him to help fix this dreadful problem) and he claimed that it outperformed leading brands in blind testing but that the word on the street was that it was muck and there's nothing you can do about it.

I believe him as I had a couple of pints of it a few years ago and quite liked it.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I remember hearing years ago (Perhaps 80s?) that they had changed the recipe a couple of times and it was decent, but no one would touch "the Harpic" after bad experiences in the past.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

I had a few pints maybe 6 years ago. I thought it was a bit harsh on the belly alright but tasted nice and sharp.