Tweet Police / The end of anonymous posting?

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Tweet Police / The end of anonymous posting?

Post by limecat »

Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Tweet Police / The end of anonymous posting?

Post by Hippo »

limecat wrote:http://obriend.info/2012/12/27/calling- ... et-police/

Very interesting article.
Interesting article, though I'm not completely convinced of the absolute sanctity of anonymous posting in a functioning democracy. Obviously different in an undemocratic State.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

We used to laugh at East Germany where all the typewriters had registered samples with the police so they could see who wrote what. Now all our printers are built with the same function.

Anonymous dissent is essential as a check and balance to state power. It no longer effectively exists and the road we are travelling on inevitably leads to governments not feeling the need to pay any attention to the wishes or wellbeing of the electorate. I think that is pretty evident in the actions that the democratic states have taken in the last decade. There is no longer any effective counterpower to state and corporations.

I don't believe in any system but I think a balance of power and counterpower and of checks and balances within the state. I think whistleblowers are disruptive forces for when orthodoxy is ensconced and corrupt.

I think its a good idea that neither the government nor overwhelmingly powerful corporations should be able to track your every move. The possibility that this power would not be abused strikes me as inherently remote.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Can't fix the grammar in the middle of that on a smartphone I'm afraid. Power/counter without and checks/balances within the state are essential to prevent tyranny.