Unionist Flag Protest Outside Leinster House

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Unionist Flag Protest Outside Leinster House

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

sid wrote:
honeyec wrote:Am I the only person who can't understand why they don't just fly both flags all the time? Or am I missing something glaringly obvious about such a seemingly simple solution?
Why should they fly the tricolour? Equally, why should we fly the Union Jack?

Stop playing silly beggars Sid, you know flying either flag is contentious to both sections of the community.

My solution would be either fly both or none.

However, most Unionists/Loyalists being the facists they are would see this as an assault on their identity and an erosion of their Culture.

These fuckwits don't want to get along or prosper alongside their Nationalist/Catholic neighbours. Just hate filled bilious pond life.
3 Gold Stars
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
sid wrote:
honeyec wrote:Am I the only person who can't understand why they don't just fly both flags all the time? Or am I missing something glaringly obvious about such a seemingly simple solution?
However, most Unionists/Loyalists being the facists they are.
Most? You have evidence of this?
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

My opinion contains a big IF so please bear that in mind.

I welcome this protest IF it is planned to be peaceful and respectful to the citizens of Dublin and the Republic of Ireland. In this era of cross border cooperation - you cant have cooperation only going one way over the border.

I also feel that the Republic of Ireland should extend a welcome to these people and should afford them more than adequate protection during their protest. IF the people organising this are doing it to start a riot I feel the Guards should immediately hop off them.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

IanD wrote:My opinion contains a big IF so please bear that in mind.

I welcome this protest IF it is planned to be peaceful and respectful to the citizens of Dublin and the Republic of Ireland. In this era of cross border cooperation - you cant have cooperation only going one way over the border.

I also feel that the Republic of Ireland should extend a welcome to these people and should afford them more than adequate protection during their protest. IF the people organising this are doing it to start a riot I feel the Guards should immediately hop off them.
Frazier on the radio trying to justify the violence in Belfast by blaming the police heavy handedness! If there is the slightest hint of aggression it will kick off!
This is a stunt and shouldn't be seen as anything else, freedom of speech and a right to protest is part and parcel of a true democracy, but this (submission of a letter of complaint and a request for Dáil Éireann to lower the flag) is a load of b*%&!x. Wy don't they head on over to Germany and ask Angela to do the same
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Or Mexico as I suggested. They have a very similar tricolour. It would be much funnier and just as appropriate.

Mind you I happened to be passing through the Zocalo in DF when the teachers were showing up for the demonstration and speechifying part of a one day strike and was shocked to see all the riot police with sub machine guns, armoured cars and mounted machine guns so on second thoughts I'd probably show up in a country like Ireland which isn't tooled up to deal with crowds looking for trouble.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

fourthirtythree wrote:Or Mexico as I suggested. They have a very similar tricolour. It would be much funnier and just as appropriate.

Mind you I happened to be passing through the Zocalo in DF when the teachers were showing up for the demonstration and speechifying part of a one day strike and was shocked to see all the riot police with sub machine guns, armoured cars and mounted machine guns so on second thoughts I'd probably show up in a country like Ireland which isn't tooled up to deal with crowds looking for trouble.
Don't laugh, wee Wullie is on record having made an official complaint about a junior school flying an Italian flag as he thought it was an Irish tricolour. Him and his merryband could well end up protesting outside the local Italian takeaway rather than the Dail. He is a hatstand and a bigot, all his words about respect for our flag are nonsense.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

sheepshagger wrote:
D'Arse wrote:I assume Enda is giving them some sort of grant under The Gathering initiative :lol:
Don't make jokes like that - its probably true.
Will the Bus strike have kicked off by the time of their departure for Dublin?
#thegathering
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Is this supposed to be happening this Saturday? I really, really hope none of the travelling Scarlets fans get caught up in the inevitable chaos.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Cianostays wrote:Is this supposed to be happening this Saturday? I really, really hope none of the travelling Scarlets fans get caught up in the inevitable chaos.
Apart from the annoyance of this wholely provocative episode, it is going to soak up many of the (un)available hours of overtime for Gardai in the Dublin area.
There are to be 150 of the performance artists coming down on Saturday, with 200 Gardai acting as crowd control.
Daniel Sullivan
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

The worst thing about this is that their scumbags will undoubtedly attract our scumbags, something will happen, and it will all kick off.

Then the lads scuttle back to Belfast claiming that we’re just as bad as them, mission accomplished.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Is that not the sole purpose of the trip Mickado? A bit of trouble in Dublin will allow them to go back and feed the seige mentality claiming that they and their tradition are not welcome in Dublin and therefore would not be welcomed in a united Ireland.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

That’s it. And we have the gullible idiots to fall right into the trap.

With so many gardai at the protest there’s also the danger that the rugby crowd could capitalize and resort to hooligan-like behaviour! :)
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Mickado wrote:That’s it. And we have the gullible idiots to fall right into the trap.

With so many gardai at the protest there’s also the danger that the rugby crowd could capitalize and resort to hooligan-like behaviour! :)
We could demolish the Anglesea stand.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

the spoofer wrote:
Mickado wrote:That’s it. And we have the gullible idiots to fall right into the trap.

We could demolish the Anglesea stand.
Great idea, let's all turn up with lump hammers. Get around those pesky planning regulations.
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

I had some interesting chats about the Flags issue while in Belfast for our recent match against Ulster. Our taxi driver (of the Nationalist persuasion) said on the way to Ravenhill that in his opinion there was an element of provocation in the decision of Belfast City Council to restrict the number of days on which the Union Jack flies. He said that "if it ain't broke why fix it". A couple I know (of the Unionist persuasion) said during lunch on the Sunday afternoon after the game that they could count on the fingers of one hand the number of days on which the Union Jack flies outside official buildings on the 'mainland' as they described it and that 'most of the demonstrators were unemployables and their 35-45 year old grannies!"

Willie Frazer is a trouble maker who knows perfectly well that this State had sweet FA to do with Belfast City Council's decision re the Union Jack. It is clear that he is simply coming here to cause trouble and that being the case I don't understand why the Dept. of Justice and the Gardai Siochanna seem disinterested in stopping Willy and his merry men from crossing the border. If these trouble makers get to Dublin on Saturday riots will ensue because they'll get the reaction they're looking for from our "unemployables and their 35-45 year old grannies".
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

JohnB wrote:I had some interesting chats about the Flags issue while in Belfast for our recent match against Ulster. Our taxi driver (of the Nationalist persuasion) said on the way to Ravenhill that in his opinion there was an element of provocation in the decision of Belfast City Council to restrict the number of days on which the Union Jack flies. He said that "if it ain't broke why fix it". A couple I know (of the Unionist persuasion) said during lunch on the Sunday afternoon after the game that they could count on the fingers of one hand the number of days on which the Union Jack flies outside official buildings on the 'mainland' as they described it and that 'most of the demonstrators were unemployables and their 35-45 year old grannies!"

Willie Frazer is a trouble maker who knows perfectly well that this State had sweet FA to do with Belfast City Council's decision re the Union Jack. It is clear that he is simply coming here to cause trouble and that being the case I don't understand why the Dept. of Justice and the Gardai Siochanna seem disinterested in stopping Willy and his merry men from crossing the border. If these trouble makers get to Dublin on Saturday riots will ensue because they'll get the reaction they're looking for from our "unemployables and their 35-45 year old grannies".
Oh, i think you do! Freedom of speech, EU membership, cross border co-operation...... I'd rather watch the unemployables bate the skin of each other than put up with a police state!
Daniel Sullivan
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Peg Leg,

Your judgement about my political outlook is a little harsh!!

John B.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

We don't have a parades commission here so they're quite entitled to march the state's highways.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

JohnB wrote:Peg Leg,

Your judgement about my political outlook is a little harsh!!

John B.
No judgement there JohnB, as I said, I'm sure you do understand why the Gardai, Dept of justice can not do anything to stop this charade.
Daniel Sullivan
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
sid wrote:
These fuckwits don't want to get along or prosper alongside their Nationalist/Catholic neighbours. Just hate filled bilious pond life.
They should take a leaf out of your book, Blank.