Live Horse Eat Grass

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Live Horse Eat Grass

Post by Oldschool »

Why do we import beef into this country?
Beef as an ingredient in say a pre-packaged curry imported from another country I get, but not beef imported and then used as an additive for meatburger (subtle eh meat not beef) that is being manufactured in this country. I haven't heard any rational explanation for this.

It also seems as if Ireland discovered what is now proving to be a massive issue Europe wide.

Live, Horse, Eat Grass is a saying that implies you get what you deserve (It's meant in the +ve sense But!)
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Re: Live Horse Eat Grass

Post by Danthefan »

Cost I would imagine.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Pure and simple cost and greed by supermarkets Oldschool, 8 burgers for £1 in Tesco up here the only surprise is that there is any beef/meat in them at all, if you want good meat go to your local butcher and I don't mean the butcher counter in a supermarket, find a good reputable one who knows how to hang and cut beef properly you will be amazed for the little extra cost how good the stuff actually is. Properly aged beef is dark reddish brown in colour not the bright lipstick red you see in the prepacks, steakburgers are made from lumpy looking beef and a reddish colour, if they are ground fine and pink dear knows what is in them, let me know when you find pink meat that is not veal, pork or chicken ! and those cheap pink burgers have neither veal, pork or chicken in them !

This article on BBC news gives a partial insight to why they bring the stuff in
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21430329

Nothing wrong with the actual stuff food safety wise, that is why this has never been looked at before, it is merely a labelling issue as if it had stated meat from equine origins then it would not have come before trading standards.
Talk and scaremongering that some horse flesh may contain a painkiller phenylbutazone but even if it did it is probably one of those jobs where you eat 5 tonnes a day for 6 months before you have a 0.00000001 chance of growing an extra toe or your ears getting longer :shock:

I can see the rush now for the holiday makers taking their own food with them to Europe this summer, Italy eat more horse than France by the way
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Why can't i buy horse meat here?
It's cheaper than beef and seems to make a passing impression of beef, ie. I like it.... so why can't I buy it in my butchers?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Peg Leg wrote:Why can't i buy horse meat here?
It's cheaper than beef and seems to make a passing impression of beef, ie. I like it.... so why can't I buy it in my butchers?
It could be fairly lucrative, especially if the butcher could sell meat from famous horses. A rib-roast from a horse that finished 2nd in the champion hurdle, or a few t-bones from a horse that competed in the Olympics.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:
It could be fairly lucrative, especially if the butcher could sell meat from famous horses. A rib-roast from a horse that finished 2nd in the champion hurdle, or a few t-bones from a horse that competed in the Olympics.
Fast food anybody?... anyone? :lol: :lol:

I'll see myself out
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Good question Peg Leg, wonder is it just we don't like to think of horses as food ?
They do kill them here for export to France and Italy so in theory it should be available without having to buy cheap burgers !
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

The Dublin Horse Show. Brought to you by Burger King.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.